View Diary: Coloradans show contradictory views favoring the NRA and simultaneously favoring what it opposes (35 comments)

•  It's not hard to understand . . . (3+ / 0-)
    Smoh, annecros, PavePusher

they don't like all, or even most, of the NRA's extreme positions, but they do like the NRA's objection to outright confiscation . . . especially of the guns that they and their friends own.  That's the political danger we face . . . that a majority of people will, whether they like NRA positions in general or not, see the NRA as ultimately defending their interests against the "gun confiscators".

We can win big with those people by talking "gun safety" and "cracking down on criminals", or lose big by talking blanket bans and confiscation.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:01:44 PM PST

•  I personally vacillate on the assault weapons ... (15+ / 0-)

...ban. Not because I think it's a good idea for civilians to have these particular firearms, but because I think it has little chance of passing and very limited impact on reducing overall gun violence and, most important, because pressing it may undermine the campaign to get other measures past that will make a difference in reducing gun violence.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:12:24 PM PST

•  Correx: get other measures passed, not past. n/t (2+ / 0-)
        fuzzyguy, LinSea

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:13:08 PM PST

•  I have the same worry (10+ / 0-)

I think in this case, when the bills come up, they need to separated out.  Allow a vote on each bill (background checks, gun loophole, etc) individually.  The AWB may be a deal breaker for too many to allow the other, far more popular, bills to be passed.

So, no omnibus gun bill, but rather a series of bills.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:17:24 PM PST

•  100% agreed. n/t (8+ / 0-)

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:37:45 PM PST

•  EV - I agree (4+ / 0-)

more progress will be made with separate votes on elements of gun control.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:01:19 PM PST

•  I would like to see them declare themselves (3+ / 0-)
          ban nock, Empty Vessel, PavePusher

I mean, actually get an agenda and put it over. just to show the world they can do it. I understand what everybody's saying here about electability but for once, just once, I'd like to see the party get together, come to agreement on something, put a plan together, task our leaders with following it through and then follow up on them untill they do. I mean instead of throwing it out there and trying to be satisfied with the the mess Congresss leaves it.

(pause to wait for you to stop laughing)

(another pause while you explain how it can never happen legislatively)

Yes, I know it seems really far fetched and impossible but its the kind of thing that if we worked on, it could just possibly happen. I'm a Democratic gun owner. i just want to see if they can do it.
          Once upon a time, there were people who would actually take a stand on things besides the NRA.. No fooling!!
          I think the Democrats ought to at least try it because they may gain more from people respecting them for what they believe than from showing everybody how ineffectual they are.
          I could be wrong and I'm certainly not optimistic about this ever happening.

Happy just to be alive

by exlrrp on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:25:04 PM PST

•  Same . . . (4+ / 0-)

I think that the overwhelming majority of people understand that the weapons pictured in the diary are not useful to and are not desired by most people.  They appeal to the survivalist/insurrectionist/milita mentality, which is still substantially a minority group (and which nevertheless also has rights).  It is also widely recognized as not the group, however crazy many of us may think they are, that is responsible for most gun violence.

I suspect most Coloradans wouldn't mind if those guns all just "went away".  But then they read stuff like we've been seeing here recently and think:  "wait a minute, that's my gun they're talking about, not some "military assault rifle".

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:37:51 PM PST

•  I don't think any significant legislation becomes (0+ / 0-)

law, without bold initiatives.

To me the banning of assault weapons is essential to effective legislation.  We had it up until Bush the lesser.  There is absolutely no reason we can't have it now.

•  The reason I think we won't have it now... (4+ / 0-)
          navajo, annecros, ER Doc, wishbone

...is because there are nine and possibly thirteen Democrats in the Senate who oppose it, and one of them is the Majority Leader. In the House, opposition is even stronger.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:18:24 PM PST