View Diary: How Hogan helped Mickelson get rich (128 comments)

•  Great diary (1+ / 0-)
    6412093

What I don't understand is why people are so worked up over what a golfer says.  Jesus, aren't there other issues and people who deserve your disdain besides Phil?

It staggers me how small minded most of this is.  Figjam?  Really?  I guess too much good inauguration news is too much to bear and there has to be some safety valve for your vitriol.

Misplaced, childish, and unbecoming of the site.

Finding Fred A Memoir of Discovery @ smashwords.com/iTunes

by Timothy L Smith on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:33:57 PM PST

•  He's a multi millionaire (3+ / 0-)
      Ref, MaikeH, martydd

who benefited from public services his whole life.  But he whines now because he'll have to pay more to support this great country that enabled him to become wealthy beyond dreams.

He personifies an important issue--how will we share the burdens of citizenship, and that does get folks worked up.

Orly, it isn't evidence just because you downloaded it from the internet.

by 6412093 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:47:36 PM PST

•  So are a ton of other people (0+ / 0-)

yet no one is climbing all over them for their beliefs.  If you want to go after an asshole golfer, go after the guy who wouldn't shake Obama's hand, that has some merit.  Paul Azinger.

What kind of a surprise or issue is it that rich people want to hang on to their money?  This whole issue doesn't seem to be about what a difference Phil could make, or has made with his money, but rather how unhappy everyone is that he is rich from playing a game.  Don't doubt for a minute that most athletes do whatever they can to shelter their dough, hell most of you do too, I'd bet.

Could he do more, yes.  Should he pay more, yes.  Was it wise to whine, no.  Thats the story, the rest is childish whinging on the part of people here, especially in the face of so many other, important issues that need attention.

Finding Fred A Memoir of Discovery @ smashwords.com/iTunes

by Timothy L Smith on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 07:46:17 AM PST

•  I am not a child. I am old enough (1+ / 0-)
          wishingwell

to be your father's father.

And some rich people do give back to society. Some don't. But Phil's bitching reveals an ugly part of his character. To say that he has to change his life and the lives of his family in drastic ways is the sign of a weak, selfish, little man.

So for you to say that everybody else is doing it is does not in any way mitigate Mickelson's obvious selfishness.

We all need to remember that we came from somewhere else to this place, and that people came before us and they built a world for us. It is obvious and corny, but you seem to have forgotten it, and Mickelson clearly has.

And, you idiot, I did not "go after" Mickelson. He came after me and the people who came before me. I helped build this world that Mickelson enjoys, and I paid lots of taxes. In fact, I paid the maximum for my income bracket. I always used the simple form and took the standard deductions. I have paid enough in taxes so that anything I or my extended family ever takes from our government is paid for. I have paid my way and the way of others. And my family would have done the same for me, I just happened to be lucky.

Mickelson needs to remember that. He has been lucky and he should in some way be grateful. He needs to show some honest gratitude.

Think how different the reaction would have been if Mickelson had said, "My taxes have gone up, and I hear lots of rich people bitching about it. But I don't mind paying and they shouldn't mind it either. We rich people have been very lucky and we need to pass on that opportunity to be lucky to others. Paying taxes is one way to do that."

So, Timmy, stick it where the sun don't shine.

Might and Right are always fighting, in our youth it seems exciting. Right is always nearly winning, Might can hardly keep from grinning. -- Clarence Day

by hestal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 08:09:29 AM PST

•  Unless you're about 120 (0+ / 0-)

you're overestimating yourself.   I'm 65, have been around the bend as you have, and obviously have a different view.

In fact, I thought your diary was a good piece of history, and not particularly focused on PM's foibles, but rather on how others have behaved, specifically Hogan.  You should really go back and re-read (maybe your old eyes deceived you) since I was remarking on comments and not your diary.

Age has its limits, and one of them should be to take more time reading before condescending, calling people idiots, or telling them to stick it.  If you can still manage it, go fuck yourself.

Finding Fred A Memoir of Discovery @ smashwords.com/iTunes

by Timothy L Smith on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 08:24:54 AM PST

•  I am old enough to know smoke when I (0+ / 0-)

see it. Your indignation was unwarranted no matter who you aimed it at. I read every word of every comment on this diary and I read yours several times. Each reading confirmed that you are a kindred spirit with Mickelson. You shoot from the lip and say things that you shouldn't. This time you got caught, in public, in writing.

So you are an idiot and you have proved it once more.

by hestal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 08:31:17 AM PST

•  ...when and if Mickelson moves I hope he (1+ / 0-)
          hestal

moves where the U.S. Miltary doesn't have to protect his "never volunteered to serve his country" ass...why do you think...Mr. Hogan paid his taxes without complaint and one of the greatest feelings he ever received was seeing the pay-roll from his factory provide livings for the families of the employees.

Mr.Hogan knew that the wqreckage of WWII was lying in Europe and that there was suffering others endured which he appreciated as sacrifice for his abilty to be what he could become so therefore Mr. Hogan paid what his share was determined to be no questions asked.

I feel assured if you go to Shady Oaks Country Club and discuss this with members whom sat at his table where his chair is still reserved they will inform you of the same. Ask Dee Kelley the Ft. Worth attorney and a confidant of Mr. Hogan as to his everlasting character.

•  Oh and as for you! You sound like a (1+ / 0-)
          hestal

boisterous John "Ice-chest full of beer" Daly kid.