View Diary: Bookflurries-Bookchat: Tunneling (134 comments)

•  Best wishes on the writing! (8+ / 0-)

I am sorry about the cold and four letter word.  One inch can cause more trouble and be very slippery than more inches.

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 06:43:35 PM PST

•  I went to Penn State. (7+ / 0-)

Four unplowed inches of four-letter-word are way worse than one, especially when you are driving up a road and many cars in front of you got stuck and you have to drive in the oncoming traffic lane b/c face it all the cars in your lane are stuck b/c someone at the top of the hill stopped for the stop sign which you NEVER do on an unplowed uphill road.

NoVA doesn't get much snow.  Neither does MD, nor where I currently reside.

All of the drivers in this region get scared b/c they don't know how to drive in snow.

Penn State taught me how to drive in it...and NYC taught me that the best thing is to just take the bus or train.

;-D

To make the argument that the media has a left- or right-wing, or a liberal or a conservative bias, is like asking if the problem with Al-Qaeda is do they use too much oil in their hummus. Al Franken

by Youffraita on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 07:25:35 PM PST

•  oh, I have seen the hills (7+ / 0-)

around Penn State!

Wow!  I can't imagine driving there in the winter.  I remember cars in Flint getting stuck like that in the city on a small hill because of a red light.  I always forgot that Flint has so many hills until a winter storm showed me.

But around here a few inches holds the car on the road if you head for the ditch where one inch gets packed down like ice.

Of course, blowing can make huge drifts.  I have stories. :)

I remember driving home from work late at night in snow that was coming down thick and blowing so hard, I could not see.  I was going very slowly and if it had been ice underneath...I was glad for all the new guardrails, too, because we have huge ditches and long drops in some places.

I am glad you don't have much snow, now!

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 07:32:31 PM PST

•  State College had it right: (4+ / 0-)
          cfk, melpomene1, Monsieur Georges, Brecht

Plow early and often.  Sometimes we'd get a foot of snow, and the plows came through every four inches or so.

Down here where people freak out about snow...not so much.  They literally don't know wtf to do in a major snowstorm.

Only once did Penn State close for snow while I was a student there.  It was a Friday at four p.m.

Mostly we just suffered through the cold and slid across the ice-covered sidewalks.

by Youffraita on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 07:53:36 PM PST

•  When we first moved up here (3+ / 0-)

there were only three plows for the county.  Only a main road got attention and some that I called main roads were not.  There was a ten foot high drift one year on the road leading out of our nearby town.

We would get plowed out...one lane...and it would blow right back in.  When I found out I was going to have a January baby, I freaked out. :)

He had to stay in the hospital 45 miles away for jaundice and we brought him home during a storm that blocked the corner just after we plowed our way through the drift.  Fun!

There are more plows now, thank goodness, but they can't do much when the winds blow.

My daughter was told that her college never closed down in the winter and then that first year, it did. :)

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:00:55 PM PST

•  LOL, cfk, I was a January baby (2+ / 0-)
              cfk, Monsieur Georges

and from what Mom said, I was born (caesarian) during or just before a blizzard.

Well.  This part of PA doesn't get blizzards...but the locals think they do if it's a decent snowstorm.  (Minnesota would laugh at what the locals here call a blizzard.)

by Youffraita on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:05:29 PM PST

•  I have to say, too (3+ / 0-)

That front wheel drive was a miracle that saved us so much pain on the big hill near us.

We actually live on one of those glacial leftovers that make ripples across Michigan.  Where I grew up we were at the bottom of two of them, now my road is on top of one.

Not to be compared to Penn State at all...

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 07:35:49 PM PST

•  3 letter word is worse here (ICE) (1+ / 0-)
      cfk