View Diary: Bookflurries-Bookchat: Tunneling (134 comments)

•  Well, one thing I've been doing... (5+ / 0-)
    Limelite, Monsieur Georges, sillia, cfk, Brecht

I was recently reading a fantasy novel set in Europe; the author keeps jumping back and forth between the present day and magical events some centuries before which are rippling forward. It's set in a city that was the center of empires and has been around for centuries.

When the author started talking about certain landmarks like a particular bridge, or a church with some distinctive  time keeping machinery, I realized I could do more than just picture it in my mind. Apple maps let me find them and see them in detail from above; wikipedia filled in a lot of details that weren't in the book along with pictures. I expect I could do the same for historic characters in the book.

As it happened, I was reading the book in an e-format. I can only imagine what it would be like if an author started deliberately loading up text with links...

The classic "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen" by H. Beam Piper has a lot of battles laid out on an alternate time line Pennsylvania which he related to landmarks in this version of the earth. It would be interesting now to pull up maps/aerial imagery of the real Pennsylvania to better see the terrain he was describing.

"No special skill, no standard attitude, no technology, and no organization - no matter how valuable - can safely replace thought itself."

by xaxnar on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 04:09:03 AM PST

•  What's the name (2+ / 0-)
      cfk, Monsieur Georges

of the fantasy novel set in Europe? Sounds interesting.
      I had the same experience with Connie Willis's books set in London--there is a LOT of geography in there, including the subway tunnels which were used as bomb shelters in WWII. I had some memory of these from my visits years ago but my husband knows London even better so we had fun discussing this.
      She does wonderful things with cathedrals...but I won't say anything else, don't want to spoil it.

I love it that Obama's channeling Harry Truman: "I don't give 'em hell; I just tell the truth and they think it's hell!"

by sillia on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:26:24 AM PST

•  Sounds more interesting than it was (3+ / 0-)
        cfk, Monsieur Georges, sillia

It began with the people of a medieval town committing an atrocity against a woman for witchcraft - and her dying words curse them all.

The alleged heroine of the story starts her part in this with a visit to NYC. A young woman from Europe taking a vacation, on impulse she gets her fortune told - and discovers she has been chosen to right an ancient wrong. Why or how isn't quite made clear, or why she has to go all the way to New York to find out about unraveling the curse when it's back in her home town.

The book bounces back and forth between little episodes of the curse working out on the townsfolk, and the woman dabbling around with magic to try and figure out what is going on - and how she is supposed to fit into it.

The main character has a lot of room for development - but spends most of the story being completely oblivious to the dangerous stuff she's playing with. The story is full of warnings and lots of ominous foreshadowing which she never seems to pick up on.

The story builds to a cliffhanger after a rather unsettling sex scene - and then having 'lit the fuse' it abruptly ends, to be picked up in the next book in the series.

I decided I'd seen enough. I really had to work to get to the end, such as it was.

by xaxnar on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 04:04:34 PM PST

•  Title? (1+ / 0-)
          cfk

Thanks for the review, it sounds like it does have weaknesses but interesting nonetheless.

by sillia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:45:10 AM PST

•  Okay, here you go (2+ / 0-)
            cfk, sillia

"Come Hell or High Water: Part 1 Wellspring" by Stephen Morris. Here's the link to the paperback. I went with the Kindle edition.

by xaxnar on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 02:34:45 PM PST

•  Thanks, appreciate it! (2+ / 0-)
              cfk, xaxnar

I'll see if it's something I'd like to read. Usually I stay away from anything with 'occult' in it but this seems different.

I like medieval stuff, especially if they have plagues and Black Death and stuff. That's why I liked Connie Willis' Doomsday Book so much.

by sillia on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:14:26 PM PST

•  That does sound interesting (2+ / 0-)
      xaxnar, Monsieur Georges

I often find myself running to wikipedia for information.  I love maps, too.

Join us at Bookflurries-Bookchat on Wednesday nights 8:00 PM EST

by cfk on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 01:15:37 PM PST

•  The thing is, it's so easy now. (2+ / 0-)
        cfk, Monsieur Georges

You can pull out a smart phone to do this. Run across a strange word, some historic reference, some bit of arcana, you can track it down with relatively little effort. Say the 'Macguffin' everyone has been trying to find turns out to be a trapezohedron, you can just google it to get the details.

by xaxnar on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 04:14:33 PM PST

• Congress (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Science (21)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site