View Diary: Is the long backlash against the 1960’s finally over? (30 comments)

•  Nope, as long as there are baby boomers, (6+ / 0-)

& Medicare, the 60's won't ever be over.

•  hold on thar (15+ / 0-)

Some of us early boomers were directly involved with what the '60s were all about.  I'm on medicare.  I was also part of the civil rights movement, working in Alabama in 1965. I smoked my first joint in California in 1966, supported Clean Gene McCarthy in 1968 and demonstrated against the war in Vietnam.
      In a part of my soul, the spirit of the '60s never died, but I'd be happy if the backlash against the (DF) hippies were put to rest.
      I gave you a rec because I don't want you to think I'm on the attack.  Just want to gently point out that not all of us who are now Medicare age were ever part of that backlash.

•  I too am a child of the 60's (6+ / 0-)

I marched to protest the war, then wound up flying over Nam on air reconnaissance missions.  Not quite ready for Medicare and retirement though.

"We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals, now we know that it is bad economics." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jan. 20, 1937

by Navy Vet Terp on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:31:47 PM PST

•  You're very kind, stoneboat. (8+ / 0-)

Many of us boomers put a lot on the line for civil rights. Though the worst of the violence was over by the time I got involved in '68, some of us were physically punished for our efforts. It took some guts to stand up in south as we did.

At 64, having cared for my mother for ten years in her old age, and saving Medicare bejillions of dollars while I got her what she wanted -- to die in her sleep at home -- I don't feel quite so kindly.

It will be nice to be insured this fall -- having paid in all my working life and all.

But no, I don't take kindly to that crap.

Not at all.

"Let each unique song be sung and the spell of differentiation be broken" - Winter Rabbit

by cotterperson on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:46:08 PM PST

•  I missed the fun part of the sixties; my adulthood (2+ / 0-)
        stoneboat, defluxion10

Was the evil Reagan era. Obama & I are the same age, FYI. I am concerned that I'm not going to get my SS & Medicare.

Mostly my hatred is directed at evil RW 'bag electeds  & evil rich people, not at baby boomers. Now, all the good  stuff has been demonized. You were there, I wasn't.

•  You over-generalize..."baby-boomers" are (3+ / 0-)

responsible for much Progressive movement in this country.  You obviously did not live through the 1950s and early 1960s so it might be hard for you to understand just how conservative America had become during the early Cold War.  There are baby-boomers who are liberal and conservative just as there are in EVERY generation.

Robber Baron "ReTHUGisms": John D. Rockefeller -"The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets"; Jay Gould -"I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half."

by ranton on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:17:57 PM PST

•  a2nite... (2+ / 0-)
      equern, ranton

I'm not quite sure about the meaning of your comment. I was born in in 1950 and remember as a nine or ten year old kid sitting around hearing "Who's going to take care of Mom?" With SS and Medicare my Grand Mother lived till 1980 independent and a LOUD spokesperson for her fellow residents at the FHA high rise where she lived.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

The Ghost of Tom Joad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jVZHCUbS4U

by Illinois IRV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:52:54 PM PST

•  It won't end even after the boomers are all gone. (2+ / 0-)
      Roger Fox, ranton

Conservatives will still keep going back to the well for a long, long time. It is amazing how many people get enraged at the mere mention of the word "granola", it's a Pavlovian response.

In the 70's, I remember people were seriously debating whether men with beards should be able to be able to teach in schools, because apparently, beard = hippie.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:25:06 PM PST

•  Ahhh..the good old days! In 1971 female students (1+ / 0-)
        kj in missouri

were "allowed" to wear slacks to school in my hometown...the defiance of skirt lengths (shorter and shorter) finally brought sanity.

by ranton on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:22:28 PM PST

•  I remember making granola (0+ / 0-)

when the only granola was the granola you made yourself.

•  And the hippies didn't even invent it! (0+ / 0-)

Granola (then trademarked as Granula) was invented in 1894. A competitor came out later with similar product, but named it Granola because Granula was trademarked.

The whole "don't trust anyone over 30" meme seemed to be more a media creation than anything. Granola, like a lot of stuff in the hippie movement seemed to be inherited from their grandparents. In a lot of ways, it was, well, "conservative", doing things grandma used to do instead of using the new scientific processed food that people were adopting at the time.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:46:24 PM PST

•  the Reagan Youth are all grown up (0+ / 0-)

Libertarian-leaning Gen Xers and internet billionaires are waiting in the wings behind them, and fundies' children are ready to provide the votes.

Something's wrong when the bad guys are the utopian ones.

by Visceral on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 10:13:35 PM PST