View Diary: Is the long backlash against the 1960’s finally over? (30 comments)

•  It May Be In Decline Nationally But It's Going (9+ / 0-)

strong in many of the states. We're still at war on the 30's.

by Gooserock on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 03:56:52 PM PST

•  A right wing friend was attacking the 60's (12+ / 0-)

He said it was the worst and most evil decade ever, every problem we have today is the result of the 60's.

I suggested he think about the decade 1935 to 1945:

Millions murdered by Stalin's great purge
      Millions murdered in cold blood by the Japanese in China and elsewhere.
      Millions murdered by Hitler in the Holocaust.
      Tens of millions of soldiers and civilan victims killed in World War II.

My friend actually agreed.

"We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals, now we know that it is bad economics." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Jan. 20, 1937

by Navy Vet Terp on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:35:33 PM PST

•  Exactly -- the backlash is also rage against the (10+ / 0-)

'60's attacks on the most pervasive hierarchy of all -- class -- which were really just the logical progression (pun intended) of the attacks initiated by the original Progressives and then by the New Deal.  So that the manifesto of the backlash against the '60's is the Powell Memo, which is still the controlling memo of the corporate right -- compared to which the Republican attacks on racial and sexual liberation and on science are basically pandering sideshows by which the corporate right tries to maintain control for the sake of profits and power.

It's been hard to maintain hope for the last 34+ years. (I graduated college, after working for Gene McCarthy, the year MLK & RFK were killed and Nixon elected using the "Southern strategy." In other words, I've lived my whole adult life immersed in the backlash against what I thought was an incredibly hopeful moment in history.  (If I had remained a Catholic after graduation from a Jesuit college, I'd be saying the same thing about my religion that I just said about my country's politics.).

But PBO's speech today was STARTLING!  I've always believed that a national politician who came out and said, "Yeah, I'm a liberal and a progressive and damn proud of it and most of the country believes in the same things I do" would blow away the righties.  (See Jesse J. in the Michigan primary & Dukakis at the end of the '88 election after he got hopelessly behind and thought he had nothing to lose.).

PBO seems to have decided something similar.  If he follows through, maybe he can set up somebody who tries it BEFORE they've been elected twice.  Anybody got any suggestions who?

•  Indeed! (0+ / 0-)

So we must never give up!

"Let each unique song be sung and the spell of differentiation be broken" - Winter Rabbit

by cotterperson on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:47:40 PM PST

•  Different Roosevelt. (2+ / 0-)
      Roger Fox, ranton

We are still at war with the 30's yes. But it goes back even farther than that, to the Teddy Roosevelt administration in the 00's.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:29:30 PM PST

•  ...with deep roots in Gilded Age reform movements. (1+ / 0-)
        A Citizen

Robber Baron "ReTHUGisms": John D. Rockefeller -"The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets"; Jay Gould -"I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half."

by ranton on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:24:39 PM PST

•  The right really wants a return to the gilded age. (1+ / 0-)
          a2nite

When I read Atlas Shrugged, what really stood out was that this was a call to return to eliminate all regulation and return to the Gilded Age. I wish we could better inform people why Americans turned away from the Gilded Age. Some people rail against workplace safety regulations, without understanding how bad workplaces were without regulations. Or they cheer merger after merger, without understanding how much problem consolidation of power caused in the past.

The right would like to roll back everything FDR did, but that would only be the first step. They want to roll back Teddy Roosevelt too.

The wolfpack eats venison. The lone wolf eats mice.

by A Citizen on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:51:19 PM PST

•  And to take care of the crime issue instead of (0+ / 0-)

having police take care of why not have vending machines on the streets selling all kinds of ammo from pistol rounds to armor piercing machine gun rounds to grenade launcher ammunition for all your personal protection needs.  They could even call them "El Ammo Bandito" too.

(it shouldn't need to be said, but the above is snark)

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:51:35 AM PST