View Diary: Torture and the Dark Side of ZERO DARK THIRTY (65 comments)

•  Republished to Progressive Policy Zone. (6+ / 0-)

As MB notes in comments, this diary deserves the widest possible audience.

Full disclosure: I have no intention of ever seeing Zero Dark Thirty.

When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill...

by PhilJD on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:17:52 AM PST

•  I agree with you, (2+ / 0-)
      PhilJD, aliasalias

except I am going to make the opposite choice, so I can quote from it accurately when I lambaste it.

Standing with you,
                for justice and accountability,
                           For Dan,
                           Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is inflicting it on whom.

by Chacounne on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 07:20:38 AM PST

•  I watched it, (3+ / 0-)
      Chacounne, PhilJD, JesseCW

because I cannot in good conscience criticize a movie I haven't seen.  It's worse than the diarist makes out.  Pure propaganda, from start to finish.

The bit about torture is only a small part of the overall propaganda agenda, frankly progressives should be worried about more than this when discussing this movie.

190 milliseconds....

by Kingsmeg on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 07:28:53 AM PST

•  Is that allowed? (0+ / 0-)

Thank you for the great feedback, but I am afraid to re-post because that might not be kosher?

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” --Margaret Mead

by Jennifer A Epps on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 12:59:15 PM PST

•  Republishing to different groups, (1+ / 0-)
        PhilJD

which will mean the diary shows up on more people's pages, rather than just in recent diaries, is encouraged.  People who are part of the groups can get them republished to the groups they are part of.

I have republished it to Bloggers Against Torture and Why I Fight Against Torture.

I am very sorry the  didn't get rescued to the Community Spotlight. I fought for it, but lost.

With gratitude,
                            Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is inflicting it on whom.

by Chacounne on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 01:34:11 PM PST

•  Thanks very much for that (3+ / 0-)
          Chacounne, Turbonerd, Lady Libertine

I appreciate all the support.

It is good to see how passionate people are about this issue.

by Jennifer A Epps on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:14:33 PM PST

•  Republishing (2+ / 0-)
            Turbonerd, Lady Libertine

If Meteor Blades says "republish" it's not only kosher, it's holy. MB sits at the right hand of kos and is perhaps the highest authority on this site that actually still gets down in the trenches with us regular folks and comments on a daily basis. He's linking to your diary and posting excerpts on the front page which is how I discovered it.

So yes, please do not fear to republish this diary yourself. And perhaps add a little note at the opening to indicate that it is a republished diary. Folks dig stuff out of their own archives all the time -- seasonal diaries, anniversaries of certain events. Not a great habit to get into but certainly such a well thought-out and researched diary as this deserves another run through the intertubes.

If you do republish, here's an additional excuse: Marko the Werelynx sez there's a missing pronoun in this sentence--

This runs counter to Boal’s assertions, since he denies that he ever let the CIA officially vet the script, but even if * did maintain the independence he has avowed, it’s not like there’s anything in the movie that might offend the agency.
            Looking forward to being able to rec it again, and until then clicking the ol' follow heart,

Your fuzzy-headed friend,

Marko

“The right of the people peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good, and to petition the government, or any department thereof, shall never be abridged.”

by Marko the Werelynx on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 12:14:00 AM PST

•  I'm putting it on Facebook to get more eyes n/t (2+ / 0-)
      PhilJD, Chacounne

without the ants the rainforest dies

by aliasalias on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 03:07:17 PM PST