View Diary: Leading Educators Support Teacher Test Boycott (39 comments)

•  As a parent I love standardized testing (1+ / 0-)
    Linda Wood

When my child gets high scores it forces teachers to consider them for gifted and talented class even though we aren't cool yuppie parents whom teachers can relate to.

They force teachers to first make sure they are doing the job they were  hired to do. (Teach kids the very basic reading, writing, and arithmetic they need to get by in this world)

Good teachers I've noticed have plenty of time for extra stuff, whatever they enjoy teaching, and the kids score well.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:55:37 AM PST

•  Gifted and Talented Classes? (0+ / 0-)

Exclusionary elitist enclaves for "feel good" clubbiness? Why am I not surprised.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 07:38:51 AM PST

•  It's how kids get the best teachers and the best (0+ / 0-)

classes. Fair no, the way it is yes.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 05:11:25 AM PST

•  You are always about fairness. (1+ / 0-)
          Mostel26

Such an inspiring idea.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 05:33:30 AM PST

•  I support ban nock each time (0+ / 0-)

I see his or her assertion that schools are accountable to teach basic skills and knowledge and that this has not been happening in significant numbers of schools in the United States.

If you think ban nock is incorrect about that assertion, I respect you for having a different view, but I completely agree with him or her that the teaching of basic skills and knowledge is a fair expectation.

•  As if.. (1+ / 0-)
              Mostel26

I am somehow not. I am, however, steadfast against shuffling the preponderance of resources in America to those elites or pressure groups who demand more resources because of their gifts, connections, verbal ablility or sense of entitlement. That is the most Undemocratic idea in education since Plessy v Fergussen enthroned segregation. I was responding to that, Linda, not the assertion that education should not be immune from accountability.

If you want to talk about accountability, let's go.

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure-Mark Twain

by OregonOak on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 09:24:09 AM PST

•  My system doesn't use standardized test scores (4+ / 0-)
      Mostel26, cocinero, RadGal70, ban nock

for GT.  There are separate tests to determine that.
      As a 37 year veteran, I've never seen teachers needing to be forced to do the job they were hired to do.  They do their job because they care about the kids and want to do their best.  This idea that teachers will just sit around all day on a perpetual coffee break if they aren't held accountable for standardized test scores is not only a myth, it's downright insulting.

“It is the job of the artist to think outside the boundaries of permissible thought and dare say things that no one else will say."—Howard Zinn

by musiclady on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 08:08:30 AM PST

•  I see tons of teachers that need to be forced (1+ / 0-)
        Linda Wood

to do the job they were hired to do. Our kids were coming out of the school system non knowing what we send them there to learn. Get insulted all you want, it's my money, they're my kids. Teachers who aren't up to snuff can go flip burgers.

Coffee breaks no, their pet hobby horse they learned in some touchy feely school of ed, yes.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 05:09:22 AM PST

•  Sounds like an administrator (1+ / 0-)
          Mostel26

isn't doing their job.  In my career, I've worked with 3 people who should not be in the classroom.  One was forced to retire, the other two ended up resigning before they were fired.  This occurred because of an administrator who was on top of her job and didn't tolerate anyone not meeting her high expectations.  I'm not saying that there aren't bad teachers out there--but I suspect there aren't as many as some people would have the public believe.

by musiclady on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 06:34:32 AM PST

•  I don't see that tests force (2+ / 0-)
      Mostel26, ban nock

teachers to do the job they were hired to do.

I see it forces teachers to teach only what's on the test so that they will look good, and in doing that, many other facets of learning are ignored.

I've sat in meetings with teachers who complain about not having time to teach science and social studies because they have to make sure the kids are prepared to take the state tests.

When the focus becomes the test, something is lost for the kids.

If you took the greed out of Wall Street all you’d have left is pavement ~Robert Reich

by k8dd8d on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:50:47 AM PST

•  I want my kids to first know how to read, write, (1+ / 0-)
        Linda Wood

add, subtract, multiply, divide. If a teacher can't teach those basic things then we just don't need them. One would hope they can accomplish more. I notice that the teachers my kids have manage to fit in a broad well rounded education. My kids get Chinese class, square dancing, art with clay and paints and other stuff, the fourth graders are all learning to play the recorder. All the time the school scores high on standardized tests.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 05:17:07 AM PST

•  and what are the demographics for (1+ / 0-)
          Mostel26

your school?

That your kids get all that is great, but my guess is upper middle class, mostly white, no free & reduced lunch.

by k8dd8d on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 09:44:20 AM PST