View Diary: Towards common ground on guns: Universal Background Checks (60 comments)

•  I have no objection to gun owner insurance (3+ / 0-)
    wilderness voice, pistolSO, a2nite

so long as I can tie it to my homeowner's policy and my umbrella policy.

•  You are one in a million, probably literally. (3+ / 0-)
      pistolSO, a2nite, entlord

High Unitas had a suggestion about this that seemed practical to me: a small tax on guns and ammunition to go into a pool for victims of gun crimes/accidents.  This would provide money to victims that would come from where it should - guns owners.  Or mor accurately, gun users.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 02:11:40 PM PST

•  Damn autocorrect. Uintas (0+ / 0-)

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 02:12:08 PM PST

•  If the tax is a small percentage (2+ / 0-)
        pistolSO, entlord

and fixed in the code with a high threshold requirement to increase it, then I can support that. I don't want it to become a burden on those who are of limited means. I think at least part of the money should go to the ATF for enforcement.

A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. Franklin D. Roosevelt

by notrouble on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 03:47:27 PM PST

•  I'd love to help fund ATF this way. (2+ / 0-)
          pistolSO, notrouble

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:25:10 PM PST

•  Simple taxation (1+ / 0-)
            CA wildwoman

should be more than sufficient to fund ATF. As is the case for the SEC in the financial district, the bad actors are the ones buying the politicians who determine funding. So these agencies assigned important regulatory tasks are left to die on the vine with preposterously small budgets and drastically insufficient staffing. On purpose.

The gas tax is different because so many millions of people use the roads, which are expensive to maintain and without which business cannot function. But the gun owning community is not so enormous or active that we can expect to generate huge funds from taxing gun sales, or the like. We're all our brother's keepers. We should all be paying for ATF to do their jobs. If victims of gun violence have little recourse when it comes to medical expenses, that's hardly going to be eased by a sales tax scenario. If the plight of victims in general were important to this country, we wouldn't be locked up in this phony quandary in the first place, we would simply apply Australian rules and be done.

•  I disagree. There should be a fund for victims. (0+ / 0-)

And it should be funded by those buying guns and ammo.  It seems like at least you don't care about the plight of victims.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 06:27:15 AM PST

•  no problem so long as it is literally a small (4+ / 0-)

tax and does not become a tool for  banning some people from owning weapons.  I have seen some folks advocating using the same tactics the wingers are using to skirt Roe and to de facto ban abortion through regulation.  Any time on any issue I see advocacy that we adopt winger tactics, I become wary

•  I don't quite see this as a winger tactic. (1+ / 0-)
          CA wildwoman

I agree that it should be small enough that it is not effectively a ban.  I also believe victims should be compensated and the money should come from the gun users.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:29:06 PM PST