View Diary: The things we do very well here at the Daily Kos (55 comments)

•  I liked DKOS (1+ / 0-)
    StellaRay

because I felt like I made a difference in a good way.  I was a person who gave money - because let's be real - that's what matters (sometimes).

I don't feel that way any more.  Not with the freaks with guns.

I will find another way to make a difference, not on DKOS with the gun freaks.

Democracy, if done properly, is rude, messy, and loud

by allensl on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 09:48:34 PM PST

•  IMO, (12+ / 0-)

there's a whole lot more to DKOS than "gun freaks."  But to each their own. And so, good luck on your journey, although I suspect you'll never find that perfect harmonious place you're looking for.  But hey, if you do, be sure to let the rest of us know about it. ;)

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 09:55:46 PM PST

•  Not looking for perfect (0+ / 0-)

just not looking for gun freaks and their friends.  Not willing to give people the benefit of the doubt anymore.  They can join or leave - don't really care witch.  They can join, or leave, don't care what they want.

Democracy, if done properly, is rude, messy, and loud

by allensl on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:02:54 PM PST

•  Again, good luck to you (8+ / 0-)

in your travels.  And again, there is much more to this site than "gun freaks and their friends."  But I'm not here to talk you out of anything.  You must pursue your passions and truth the way you see it.

by StellaRay on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:07:44 PM PST

•  I've been here a long time (9+ / 0-)

I read almost all front page posts daily.  I read many, many of the diaries posted daily.

I abhor the RBKA group.  As a group and many of the individual members.  But fortunately I rarely have to interact with them and when I do it's by my choice.

How do I manage that?  I don't read the meta diaries written by/about them lately and I read without comment the majority of the gun control diaries written since the Sandy Hook tragedy.  When I do comment it's by my choice.  It is very easy to avoid those folk if you so desire so I don't quite get your complaint.

And frankly. other than the meta diaries on this topic, that group has been scarce in the gun control diaries.  The few that do comment have been vastly out-numbered by the opposing viewpoint.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:01:34 PM PST

•  I too mostly stay WAY OUT of (10+ / 0-)

gun diaries, although since Sandy Hook, I've ventured more into the conversation, because I feel I must raise my voice, must be part of those now willing to fight the NRA, and the meme that there's nothing to be done about our national disgrace.

However, I know darn well I'll not change any minds on the other side, but only lend a sense of solidarity to those of us who want change in this area.

And, there are gun lovers on this site, who I agree with on almost everything but guns.  So I try to live and let live, and at a point, agree to disagree.  Let's see what America decides in the end.

But whether it's guns or sux vs. Rox, or you name it, this is a big dynamic site, and it's not for everyone. Still, I have to say, it's the BEST community moderated site of its size on the internet.

And, the discussion format of the comment section is unequaled in my experience.  Some folks don't get this, until they venture to other sites, and find out just how lost your comment can get, pages away 5 minutes after you posted it, with no opportunity for anyone to engage.  That's the rule on the internet, not the exception.

by StellaRay on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:30:39 PM PST

•  Well... (9+ / 0-)

You make it sound like every single diary posted here turns into a discussion about guns, which couldn't be farther from the truth. You also choose label everyone who owns a gun as a "freak," and by implication disparage anyone who doesn't own a gun but happens to be a friend of said gun-owner.

Stretching it even farther, I submit that everyone on this site falls under either the gun-owner or friend of gun-owner category.

And they aren't all "freaks." I've never touched one in my life, but plenty of good people here own them, and are supportive of sensible restrictions.

So if you're willing to write it all off because of one facet of a multi-faceted community, that indeed is your loss.

Happy trails...

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:20:45 PM PST

•  Yes. (10+ / 0-)

Although I haven't the least interest in guns, or owning one or shooting one, and although I think this country has a SERIOUS gun problem, that doesn't mean I think everyone here who likes guns, or owns them, are freaks.

This sort of thinking and conversation will not get us anywhere. There comes a point where you put your cards on the table, and you commit to what you believe in. Of course, others will disagree, even on this site of Democrats and progressives.

So then, imo, you simply carry on.  You don't make war with folks who aren't listening, or who figure you've discounted them and their voice.  You stand up for what you believe in, and hope the majority agrees with you.  That's all that can be done.

by StellaRay on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:50:37 PM PST

•  One of the many things I've learned (7+ / 0-)

through this debate is that "gun owner" does not automatically translate into "freak" or "another Adam Lanza waiting to happen" or any other hyperbolic metaphor/label that can be conjured up.

That doesn't change my personal view about guns and their potential. They serve no purpose in my life. But for others, they do. I still strongly disagree with those here who's views are beyond compromise.

When I learned Meteor Blades is a gun owner and a former member of the NRA, everything changed for me instantly.

His views on the matter are beyond any doubt. What might appear at first glance to be incompatible views on the subject are in fact unified, and that's what convinced me...You can own guns and still demand the change necessary for keeping people safe.

In other words, they ARE compatible, if one allows them to be.

And that is yet another awesome thing about this place. If one can put aside assumptions for long enough to listen to the other side, one can learn alot here.

~ Jerry Garcia

by DeadHead on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:13:39 AM PST

•  There are plenty of safe havens (13+ / 0-)

if you take the time to look.

We have no gun freaks in Top Comments (at least none that I've seen) and we run the gamut of discussions from deep political musings to history to dinner ideas. You never know what you're going to get on a particular night -- and that's the fun of it.

Or peruse some of the diaries that get promoted to Community Spotlight.

Or follow History for Kossacks -- you'll likely find some stuff they didn't talk about in school.

by Cali Scribe on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:48:53 PM PST