View Diary: Data Grab? Experian now controls web access to Social Security Admin (322 comments)

•  Takes forever to get through (3+ / 0-)
    StrayCat, Aquarius40, JesseCW

the phone tree.  Can't really do that during office hours for many people (and hold a job).

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

by DRo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:53:29 AM PST

•  Well, for instance, (2+ / 0-)
      DRo, JesseCW

I just got the wackiest 1099 ever from SS. I called my local SS office, number on back of all correspondence, and it was like 5 seconds to get a human. Press "O." They could not figure out my problem but will call me back.

I ♥ President Obama and have his back.
      Hands off SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid. NO subsidies to rich Corps.
      Rich pay more, bloated DoD steal less. End war on Afghanistan 01/01/14.

by OleHippieChick on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:59:03 AM PST

•  They won't call you back. It seems like all of (0+ / 0-)

those offices have a policy where if they can't call you back by the end of the day they won't call you back ever.  NEVER accept an offer for them to call you back.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 09:10:24 AM PST

•  Don't be pessimistic. They do call back. Plus, (0+ / 0-)

I have the name of the local SocSec person, the place is a 15-minute drive from my house, I'll bring my lunch and a book if necessary until I get what I want.

I ♥ President Obama and have his back.
          Hands off SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid. NO subsidies to rich Corps.
          Rich pay more, bloated DoD steal less. End war on Afghanistan 01/01/14.

by OleHippieChick on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:30:20 AM PST

•  How exactly do you do that? Most SSA offices (2+ / 0-)
            JesseCW, DRo

have a "no food or drink" policy and will search people to enforce it.  And no, they won't even let you have a cup of water to take any medication with.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:51:10 AM PST

•  Well, I'll just drug up and bring a book. (1+ / 0-)
              shigeru

Bringing the lunch is now metaphorical.
              We have to take a number and wait unless there's an appointment, but it goes fairly quickly.
              Don't know why you seem to be on a crab today?!?!?

I ♥ President Obama and have his back.
              Hands off SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid. NO subsidies to rich Corps.
              Rich pay more, bloated DoD steal less. End war on Afghanistan 01/01/14.

by OleHippieChick on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:19:48 AM PST

•  If you contact them, and they don't respond (0+ / 0-)

or give you some bull answer that doesn't make sense, contact your Congressperson and Senators.

If they're even remotely adequate, even if only one of them is, SS will call you back and resolve the problem.

Usually pretty quickly.

SS is a federal agency. One of the major jobs of your federal reps is to help you when you hit a snag.

As long as it's of the 'hey, I'm trying to do X, and they're giving me a hassle' or 'hey, I don't want to do X and they're giving me a hassle' you should get a response from your reps and some help.

As long as what you're trying to do or not do is legal, give them a call, drop them an email, or write them a letter.

Granted, I haven't done this for a while (luckily), but every time I have I've gotten great response and help.

And whatever the problem was never happened again.

• Recommended (141)
  • Community (70)
  • Elections (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Culture (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Memorial Day (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site