View Diary: Whole Foods Responds (39 comments)

•  Unlike those (2+ / 0-)
    CoyoteMarti, 2020adam

Whole Foods is often the best option for getting more environmentally sensitive and local options, John Mackey notwithstanding.  Here it's be a bit like Dominos having a CEO who is anti abortion while the company funds planned parenthood.  Given that the alternatives are often giant corporate chains who are much worse, it isn't that surprising that people are split as to what to do.  Certainly I don't think buying from Safeway is the right response.

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:24:11 AM PST

•  In most metro areas where WF is (3+ / 0-)
      SethRightmer, miss SPED, trumpeter

there are local alternatives. Smaller, and perhaps less central, but in most suburban locales, very easy to find.

Lazi...er...convenience is why WF would still have progressive clients.

cheerleaders need not apply.

by kravitz on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:16:28 AM PST

•  I suppose (1+ / 0-)
        2020adam

If you want to drive ten miles to and from. (For me it's about twelve each way)  No irony there

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 12:19:01 PM PST

•  I work a block from WFM (1+ / 0-)
          kravitz

And go elsewhere.

•  The question is (1+ / 0-)
            2020adam

what is the impact of the "elsewhere."  If the elsewhere involves a long, carbon spewing trip to a store that sources its good from polluting factory farms that lobby to be allowed to spray and dump crap all over the planet, then color me rather unimpressed with your principles.

The fact is the CEO is a loudmouth, while the company as a whole is a much better source for many goods that most other options for many people.

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:04:18 PM PST

•  competitors are sensing annoyance with WF. (2+ / 0-)
              Mindful Nature, miss SPED

no reason there's only one major player. especially since the farms wouldn't mind plus business.

A&P actually has regional versions that mimic Whole. They've just put them in tony upscale areas, and distanced them from A&P. Not long before others, like Ahold, do the same.

cheerleaders need not apply.

by kravitz on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 06:29:39 PM PST

•  that would be a very welcome development (0+ / 0-)

thanks for the news.  More the better.  I'd love to see WF pay a good price for keeping this jackass on payroll.

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 07:21:27 PM PST

•  Whole Foods has good quality natural food (2+ / 0-)
      trumpeter, miss SPED

and especially so for local. But most of what they carry is still mass produced. And where I live, Kroger's selection of that kind of thing gets better all the time, and they're unionized (UFCW).

When WF has good prices on good food, especially when it is local food where they have built an excellent supply chain, I'll buy it, but I'm not in love with the chain to the point that I'll throw money at them for things I can get better elsewhere. I suspect I'm in their target market, but I'm not their ideal customer.