View Diary: Scientology: A Religion, but a Threat to Mental Health? (291 comments)

•  Yes, I was really sad when he came out for (7+ / 0-)

Scientology.  I loved his movies before that.  Now I can't stand to look at his face.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:59:55 AM PST

•  Still he's excellent in Magnolia... (2+ / 0-)
      GenXangster, cotterperson

...and Collateral.

The Fall of the House of Murdoch -with Eric Lewis and all the latest Leveson evidence out now!

by Brit on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:04:05 AM PST

•  When he did Magnolia (2+ / 0-)
        Brit, cotterperson

he had just temporarily left the church because of the Xenu thing.

•  Magnolia was amazing. (3+ / 0-)
        DianeNYS, Brit, cotterperson

When we went the ticket sellers had to refund dozens of patrons and they warned us it contained really bad language.  Not as bad as me though.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:21:33 AM PST

•  Hahahahaha! (2+ / 0-)
          Brit, cotterperson
          My husband and I, and the best friend couple that we always go to a New Year's Eve dinner and movie with, were 4 of those people demanding our money back! After seeing all the reviews, and being Cruise fans, we were sure it would be a good movie...but not for us :)

"What would you think me if I were capable of seating myself at a table and gorging myself with food and saw about me the children of my fellow beings starving to death." - Eugene Victor Debs

by DianeNYS on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 12:15:26 PM PST

•  Magnolia was probably the best thing he's (2+ / 0-)
        Brit, cotterperson

done. And his character was a jerky motivational speaker who really pissed me off, too.

"It's not enough to acknowledge privilege. You have to resist." -soothsayer

by GenXangster on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 12:20:06 PM PST

•  The guy acts his part as Tom Cruise, Scientologist (3+ / 0-)
      Brit, cotterperson, timewarp

and he acts in lots of roles as Tom Cruise, A-list actor.  I know hardly anything about how he acts in his role as Tom Cruise, husband, or that of Tom Cruise, father.

And to judge from the box office he commands and the top parts he gets, he does really well as an actor in many of his life and professional roles.  In others, perhaps he bombs, or somewhat sucks.  Life is like that for most of us.

Yes, he's slimy.   Yes, he's a Scientologist and probably involved in a lot of really bad manipulative shit.  But I gotta say-- I thought he was great in Tropic Thunder as Les Grossman.  That was really good acting.  I also thought he was good in Minority Report.

That's one more thing to add to my long list of small problems. --my son, age 10

by concernedamerican on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:52:36 PM PST