View Diary: Happee Caturdai Pootie diaree (212 comments)

•  I had to bring... (12+ / 0-)

one of mine to the vet's for the treatment.  They set the nebulizer in an enclosed box, so he goes in and the whole chamber is filled.  It totally helped him (he has chronic issues with upper respiratory infections).  That was a very scary time when I first brought him in.  He was get neb treatments daily for two weeks.  He needed them!

All the suffering of this world arises from a wrong attitude.The world is neither good or bad. It is only the relation to our ego that makes it seem the one or the other - Lama Anagorika Govinda

by kishik on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 03:20:42 PM PST

•  I have a neb at home (11+ / 0-)

for the three asthmatic humans, so I just did home treatments. Hers wasn't an infection, it was just allergies, she gets them every year at the same time. But last winter was warmer than usual and it was a prolonged and bad allergy season for her. Also without a car, getting her to the vets every day is... expensive and difficult. We gave her benedryl and did the neb treatments at home per the vets order. It was easier on everyone.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 03:40:32 PM PST

•  I wish.. (9+ / 0-)

I could have done this at home, but thankfully my vet's office is local.

I am giving mine 1/2 a pill of claritin (or store brand equivalent) to help with his allergies.  It's done wonders for him - that and daily doses of lysine in his food.

by kishik on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 03:42:21 PM PST

•  See I didn't know she could have claritin. (8+ / 0-)

I'll have to keep that in mind for this year's pollen season. Though hopefully we'll be in the new house by then, with central air, which will help some. There's no escaping the pollen in this old trailer.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 03:59:21 PM PST

•  remember... (8+ / 0-)

just 1/2 a pill once a day.

My vet and I tried this out, to see if his issues were partly allergies.  It has definitely helped diminish his need for antibiotics.  The lysine, too, has been helpful.

by kishik on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:03:56 PM PST

•  I take claritin myself, one pill once a day. (5+ / 0-)
              triciawyse, kishik, kerflooey, Ninepatch, weck

She's a 45 lb dog, so half a pill sound about right. That's why I give her one benedryl prn; half the dose of an adult or what I'd give my daughter LOL. All those things go by weight, I learned that the hard way with my son who was big for his size. I couldn't go by the age on the baby ibuprofen because it wouldn't be strong enough, I had to go by weight.

by FloridaSNMOM on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:11:21 PM PST

• Labor (27)
  • Education (24)
  • Science (24)
  • Congress (24)
  • Law (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site