View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 1/25 (409 comments)

•  yeah what about the mayor of atlanta? (1+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY

Deputy Political Director, DGA. Opinions here are my own and in no way represent the DGA's thinking.

by Bharat on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:04:20 AM PST

•  Not Kasim Reed (3+ / 0-)
      dc1000, LordMike, ArkDem14

A few weeks ago, I talked with a friend who lives in Georgia about Kasim Reed on Facebook and asked whether or not he thought Reed would be a good candidate for higher office. He hasn't been impressed. Here are a few of the comments he had to offer:

Kasim Reed is a fucking idiot and would be a terrible challenger

and his general reputation is that of a fucking idiot

he's had a revolving door of graft allegations ever since he took office

Atlanta city employees' pay has gone up but efficiency has not

Hartsfield-Jackson's new terminal was a generally unforgettably huge clusterfuck that almost got him put in court

Reed was the biggest backer of TSPLOST

and he got tons of flak for it in the media

He's also noted on the side that Reed would lose an intelligence contest with "a box of hair." He has decent approval ratings for now, but there's no telling how he would fare in a statewide campaign where he wouldn't be completely ensconced in very liberal Atlanta.

The Pragmatic Progressive (IN-4); Economic Left/Right: -7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.44

by AndySonSon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:31:41 AM PST

•  How about Shirley Franklin? nt (1+ / 0-)
        dc1000
        •  Horrible (0+ / 0-)

I have heard similar things as above about Reed but apparently he is a Rhodes Scholar compared to Franklin.

•  Um, what? (6+ / 0-)
            In 2005, TIME Magazine named Franklin of the five best big-city American mayors.[7] In October of that same year, she was included in the U.S. News & World Report "Best Leaders of 2005" issue.[9]

With solid popular support and strong backing from the business sector, Franklin was reelected Atlanta Mayor in 2005, garnering more than 90 percent of the vote.[10] Her popularity has led to increased speculation that she may well be a viable contender for a future Georgia governor's race.[11]

In February 2006, The White House Project named Shirley Franklin one of its "8 in '08", a group of eight female politicians who could possibly run and/or be elected president in 2008.[12] She was the only person the list to not be a governor, senator or presidential cabinet member, and one of two African-American women on the list; the other was United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.[12]

Franklin was one of the most generally prominent and nationally respected Atlanta mayors in recent history. And her more pro-business, cosmpolitan profile do make her more palatable to suburban white voters.

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 10:54:47 AM PST

•  She also received (4+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, JDJase, askew, DCCyclone

the Profile in Courage Award in 2005 from the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation for the tough choices she made to reform the city and balance the budget after the disastrous and corrupt mayoralty of Bill Campbell, who by all accounts was a true clusterfuck.

by ArkDem14 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 10:57:19 AM PST

•  What about the Mayor of Macon? (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

Also, Savannah, Augusta, whatever.

I have found a nearby soda fountain that has Fruitopia! My life is complete.

by KingofSpades on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 09:13:10 AM PST

•  Those are exactly the kind of comments to IGNORE (5+ / 0-)

There is nothing thoughtful there.  Just a lot of emotion without any supporting information.  It's the sort of thing one finds in angry anonymous blog comments that are easily debunked.

To be clear, Reed might very well be a terrible choice, and he says he's completely uninterested anyway so this is purely academic.

But those comments don't make me feel the least bit more informed than before I read them.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:30:42 PM PST