View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 1/25 (409 comments)

•  Possible names. (5+ / 0-)

Max Cleland- Not going to happen but this would be a lean D affair if he entered.

John Barrow- Would likely make the race competitive. It is of note that the state is more Democratic than his district so this may even be a more desirable option now.

Jason Carter- Grandson of President Carter, State Senator from Atlanta. He would be a good get if a nut gets the R nod.

John Thurber- Impressive career as Attorney General for three terms. Would get African American voters out and has good crossover appeal and name rec.

Roy Barnes- After two unsuccessful statewide runs I can't see it, but he was the only candidate besides Cleland that actually lead Tom Price.

•  I'm rooting for (3+ / 0-)
      JBraden, JohnnyBoston, MichaelNY

Barrow to run for Governor and Carter to run for Senate. I think that would be an incredibly strong ticket for Democrats. Barrow would supply the down ticket help in rural areas and among independents. Carter would supply the money and base turnout.

"Every daring attempt to make a great change in existing conditions, every lofty vision of new possibilities for the human race, has been labeled Utopian."

by xcave on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:44:33 AM PST

•  I think the vice versa would make more sense. (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness" -Annie Savoy (Bull Durham)

by Jacoby Jonze on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:48:47 AM PST

•  Please explain (1+ / 0-)
          LordMike

My thought was that it's much more important for a gubernatorial candidate to have an ideology that is in line with the state--not only because he'd actually make decisions that directly affect people's lives, but also because he probably gets more coverage among the local media. For those reasons, I'd want the stronger and safer candidate to run for governor in order to not frighten independents out of voting Democrat. Senate races, on the other hand, have the potential to draw huge national attention and money. I feel that Carter running for governor would hinder his biggest advantage: the enthusiasm he would generate among national progressives. I also think moderates and independents will be more okay with voting for a candidate that is young and to their left when that person will just end up spending all his time in Washington anyway. A governor is almost like a member of your family (and I feel that holds doubly true in a small Southern state like Georgia); a senator is just 1 out of 100 at the end of the day.

I'm open to the alternative argument, but right now the decision is pretty obvious to me.

by xcave on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 09:01:20 AM PST

•  Nope, just the opposite (3+ / 0-)
            jncca, MichaelNY, JDJase

A Senate race is more nationalized. Much easier to run against the "liberal Democrats" in the Senate. You need a more conservative candidate to counter this.

This is why you have Republican governors in liberal states such as New Jersey and Dem governors in conservative states like Montana.

•  John Thurber? (5+ / 0-)

You mean Thurbert Baker?

Though, speaking of Thurbers, it would be interesting to see what the great humorist James Thurber would have to say about politics, government, and society today.

37, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

by Mike in MD on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:51:06 AM PST

•  I'm kinda hoping against hope (1+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY

that Cleland will be coaxed into this race (I firmly believe he could beat a teabagger), but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Barrow or Carter are probably our strongest possible candidates.

•  Lean D for Cleland with 2nd level Republicans (0+ / 0-)

But still without H Cain the Republicans have two candidates that I fear:

S Perdue
      N Gingrich

With them I think it would not be better than a Toss-Up even with M Cleland. But well still they are out.

•  what about one of the oldtimers (0+ / 0-)

like Darden. He held a Cobb County district for a dozen years.

RRH expat (known as AquarianLeft). Also known as freepcrusher on leip atlas forum

by demographicarmageddon on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 11:41:14 AM PST

•  he's got no name rec (0+ / 0-)

seems like a Tier 3 candidate at best.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com
        Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
        UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 02:34:09 PM PST

•  Lean D with Cleland? (2+ / 0-)
      James Allen, DCCyclone

How do you figure?

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 03:35:15 PM PST

•  My reaction same as Michael's (1+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY

I'm sorry but "lean D" is badly misguided, Cleland lost in a state hostile to his/our party and that alone automatically discredits a "lean D" rating.

I wouldn't even call it a tossup with Cleland, I'd say lean R with him or anyone else.

Our only path to victory is for some crazy teabagger who even quite a few center-right white voters can't stand manages to survive a split field primary and then win a runoff on top of it......a tall order I can't imagine happening.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:03:35 PM PST