View Diary: Best. DGU. Ever. Naked "burglar", when faced with gun, sh1+s on floor, and...and... (264 comments)

•  They fired warning shots, can you do that with a (9+ / 0-)

baseball bat?  What's the sound of one hand clapping?

Besides one good hit with a baseball bat can do so much damage.

It seems the sound of the firearm may have helped.

Now that's an option to explore, marketing gunshot fire to ward of home invaders, hummmmmm or maybe an Air Horn of sorts.

by gerrilea on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 05:34:58 AM PST

•  three warning shots? (5+ / 0-)

You believe that? I wouldn't without seeing the bullet holes in a ceiling. Sounds like bullshit.

That's not even "gun control". It's more like "massacre control".

by Inland on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 05:51:57 AM PST

•  That's the claim to obfuscate the woman's (6+ / 0-)

bad shooting skills.

;)

"She wasn't firing blindly, no officer, not at all, she intentionally meant to hit the TV, the family pictures and the dog"

by gerrilea on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 06:21:33 AM PST

•  lucky it wasn't my wife shooting at him (4+ / 0-)

If my wife shoots at a target three times, it gets hit three times. He would probably still have shit himself, perhaps posthumously, but blood on the carpet is preferable to idiot semen any day of the week.

Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before...

by Tom Seaview on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 06:44:43 AM PST

•  Bragging about how you and your wife (2+ / 0-)
            Miss Blue, SilentBrook

would'a killed the shit out of that guy--classy.

I wonder if it's possible to maintain your right to defend your home without sounding descending into hyperbolic blood lust?

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:08:22 AM PST

•  Contrary to current popular media, some people (8+ / 0-)

do not feel using a firearm to stop a criminal is a bad thing.

The "blood lust" is of your own design in an attempt to make others believe as you do; shaming them into accepting your morality as superior.

by gerrilea on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:20:52 AM PST

•  Read his comment again (1+ / 0-)
                SilentBrook

and read mine.

Your comment has nothing to do with what I was saying.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:22:01 AM PST

•  Sorry, I saw it as a snarky remark, not your (5+ / 0-)

"blood lust" comparison.

It seemed appropriate for the humor being displayed in the diary.

by gerrilea on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:40:24 AM PST

•  Odd sense of humor (0+ / 0-)

I saw your comment and could see that as humorous, but his was not.

There comes a point where it seems like some people are almost wishing for a break in, so they can defend themselves.  I stand by the blood lust comment.

I blog about my daughter with autism at her website

by coquiero on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:47:42 AM PST

•  You see, that's the problem right there. (6+ / 0-)

You judge them by your standards, not theirs.  Tom is a very good man whom takes life very seriously, especially his own.  It isn't a game or a joke, it's a reality when confronted with these very real occurrences, what will one do?

Since I do not own a firearm, I'm gonna have to think quick on my feet but for those not capable of physically defending themselves from a drugged up intruder, there has to be alternatives...

The snarky part of his comment drew an image in my head of having to clean up some other man's semen in his own home.  The shame and irony of it.

I also understood his thought about cleaning up the blood.  I had to do that after my older roommate passed away at our kitchen table and after the medics came and tried as they could to save her.  I had to clean up the blood soaked floor...

Neither instance is hilarious or funny or equal to "blood lust".

by gerrilea on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 09:59:14 AM PST

•  Sorry you fail to get it (2+ / 0-)
              gerrilea, PavePusher

My wife and I, owning and carrying defensive firearms, have discussed our plans for the use of weapons to defend ourselves and our home.
              Here's the bottom line as far as this case goes (and feel free to take advantage of this, if you need a TV or laptop): we would not hurt anyone to protect property.
              If some poor drugged-out loser -- or an entire moving crew -- decided to break into our home, and if we were satisfied that their entire intent was to steal stuff, we would point weapons at them and yell warnings... but we would not kill anyone over mere belongings.

My comment was simply to indicate that my wife, like myself, has been extensively trained, and has fired thousands of rounds in practice at the range. She shoots better than most men we know... including some cops and combat veterans. She is calm, competent and capable. She would not miss a man-sized target at household distances: not once, let alone three times. Neither would I.

The other point of my comment was to indicate that I personally understand how awful it would be to kill someone. I have seen people die violently; their blood was by far the least awful part of the experience. I would happily lose and/or replace a whole lot of "cherished" belongings to avoid seeing that again, let alone cleaning up after it... and my wife has never seen anything that awful; keeping it that way is, for me, a priority.
              I have also been in a fight with someone determined to kill me; what I had to do there was not pretty.

Faced with a lethal threat to myself, my wife, or my mother-in-law, then yes I would use deadly force. I've faced that decision before, so I know all too well what I would do... and, again, I know from experience how infinitely preferable it would be to avoid it.

Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before...

by Tom Seaview on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 06:01:50 PM PST