View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Rum and Coke FRIDAY! (235 comments)

•  and to you too, LOE (15+ / 0-)

Mega-cheers!

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. -- K.Marx A.Lincoln

by N in Seattle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 05:05:10 PM PST

•  N, how be you? (14+ / 0-)

We're all psyched up for the first ever DK meetup in Nashville.  The idea just got hatched earlier this week, and it's scheduled for tomorrow.  Looks like we'll have a dozen or so people.  Might end up being fun.

(Meanwhile, the Repubs managed to get a super-majority in the TN legislature, so we're bound to see a significant amount of crazy emerging therefrom in the upcoming near future.  Dagnabbit!)

What do we make of the contrast between heroic teachers who stand up to a gunman and craven, feckless politicians who won’t stand up to the N.R.A.? -- Nicholas Kristof, NYT --

by Land of Enchantment on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 05:22:08 PM PST

•  I be ... iffy (9+ / 0-)

Feeling the ravages of ageism in the job market. That, and the observation that the words I use to describe my skills (e.g., data analysis) no longer mean anything close to the kinds of things I do.  It wasn't like that the last time I searched for a job, a mere 6 years ago.

Feeling a bit lost as a human being ... not in touch with my own essence, much less anyone else's. Therapy helps, but I seem to be at an impasse (plateau?) now. And my therapist, who has helped me immensely in comprehending my emotional state and meaning-of-life, is pregnant and won't return to work post-partum. So I have a big decision coming up soon about who/where/how much/whether to continue self-exploration.

Feeling rather better than the above in political/activist terms. Even though a couple of conservadems have hijacked the State Senate and handed it to the GOP. Who repay the favor by introducing a bill to outlaw all abortions in perhaps the most pro-choice state in the union. It won't pass, of course, but the GOP majority means that it will probably "merit" hearings in committee.

BTW, many thanks to you and Hobbs for reccing my EC diary.

by N in Seattle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:15:20 PM PST

•  He gets the credit (4+ / 0-)
          N in Seattle, mjbleo, mapamp, diggerspop

He notices more than I do, even if he comments less.

by Land of Enchantment on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:20:11 PM PST

•  in a way, getting hired would be bad (5+ / 0-)

I wouldn't have enough vacation time accrued to go to both NN13 and the SABR convention. And I have to say that if forced to choose only one, it'll be SABR, as I've attended every convention since 1990.

The one time I missed NN YK (Chicago), it was because it conflicted with SABR.

by N in Seattle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:28:58 PM PST

•  I feel you on the job thing, N (8+ / 0-)

Last winter was the nadir for me. I applied for the perfect job, one that married all my skills into one neat package - one for which I was uniquely qualified. It was given to someone much younger who literally didn't have any of the web and event planning skills I have - that's 2/3 of the requirements in the job description.

It had been a while since I had bothered applying (about 5 years), because my skillset never matched the job descriptions sufficiently to give me a chance in the hyper-competitive market we live in now. Plus my background is one where my pay was way above anything offered now, and it's hard to disguise that & still write an honest resume. Combine that with my age, and ....

Not getting that job was a huge blow to my self-esteem. I'm not old, yet. I'm just barely in reach of middle aged. But in the job market, I'm a relic. Depression swooped in like a hungry raptor.

•  and imagine what it's like... (6+ / 0-)

...to be 62, with a white beard, knowing nothing about web analytics or "Big Data", never having worked for a for-profit company.

To me, "data analysis" requires skepticism and null hypotheses; it includes the knowledge of what not to apply particular statistical tests to, and it understands that association is not equivalent to causation. None of those characteristics, it seems, are part of contemporary "data analysis".

by N in Seattle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:51:38 PM PST