View Diary: Fishgrease - Give Up Something You Love Or Go To Hell - Updated (541 comments)

•  No idea what else I can "give up" (3+ / 0-)
    liz dexic, raboof, fuzzyguy

I don't drive. (I sit on a bus for over an hour in each direction).

I don't go on vacations.

I don't have kids.

I don't leave lights on unnecessarily.

My house is frigid.

Anyway, we're "doomed" anyway. You guys can keep telling yourselves we aren't though.

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 05:36:17 AM PST

•  Try sitting in a chair and not moving (3+ / 0-)
      MRA NY, fuzzyguy, orlbucfan

I am certain that our body movements are damaging the Ozone.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:44:55 AM PST

•  Meat, TV, cigarettes, alcohol, consumer electronic (4+ / 0-)

consumer electronics (incredibly high embodied energy, and to treat them as if they are as disposable as toilet paper), paper products, plastic...

From your description, you obviously have an exceptionally low carbon footprint and, whether intentional or not, that's laudable. In most cases, however, there is something more that can be done, no matter how incremental.

While true, your final comment suggests a defeatism I can't allow myself to embrace. Even if it turns out to be for naught, I want to know that I did everything I could.

As I said, though, you are already doing far more than most, certainly including me. What I am doing is working on an aggressive three year plan to reduce my huge footprint about 75%, while also creating blazing some trails for others.

The Class, Terror and Climate Wars are indivisible and the short-term outcome will affect the planet for centuries. -WiA "When you triangulate everything, you can't even roll downhill..." - PhilJD

by Words In Action on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 07:10:52 AM PST

•  7 billion and counting (3+ / 0-)

is why we're "doomed".

Even if we stopped excess carbon this very second, the Earth will warm through the next two centuries.

there is very little interest in adaptation of any sort  in all parts of the political spectrum. The Right thinks it's against "tradition" and the Left has an antipathy against things "unnatural." mitigation has a bit more pull, but not by much. Do you see powerlines being buried? I don't unless it's a new development, especially since utilities have decided it's just cheaper to build them the way they were when they blow down (really, they have.)

Germany's Energiewende is a good start but at present, it isn't exactly offsetting much.

It's not defeatism. I certainly support all sustainability efforts. I just don't see evidence yet they won't be for naught. That's just reality.

(I didn't say extinction, though. The post-collaspe civilization will have lots of resources from recycling the ruins.)

just a little bit bored.

by terrypinder on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:05:49 AM PST

•  I don't disagree with you. (2+ / 0-)

In fact I agree. Especially on the population side. I guess I expect there will be a die-back to take care of that for us, once arable land, fresh water and the fisheries are taken care of. And then of course there are all the natural disasters.

I just want to make a fight of it, and I really want ALL, not just some, progressives to get on board and help. It's going to be hard enough...

by Words In Action on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 11:32:33 AM PST

•  Cigarettes and alcohol? I think we'd be better off (1+ / 0-)
        Calamity Jean

if we kept smoking and quit eating non-local food. They just don't seem like major climate players to me. Unless you're thinking of the eventual medical resources that lung cancer and cirrhosis treatments will use?

•  I think it would be better if we did both. (0+ / 0-)

And, I mean, I wouldn't say it if I didn't know what I was talking about. I quit smoking back in '97 and drinking in '05. The latter was mainly about calories and the fact that, as you age, you have to drink more to have the same experience. Plus, I don't think drinking really ages well.

The fact is there are tons of these behaviors that can and should be adjusted, reduced or eliminated to reduce energy consumption.

by Words In Action on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 11:29:08 AM PST