View Diary: Sanctuary knocker, Durham Cathedral – safety, at a terrible price (54 comments)

•  I always chuckle at Ugly American references (2+ / 0-)
    shortfinals, Debby

Since the Ugly American was the only one in the book who was in touch with the peasants of (South Viet Nam?).  Every other american was in cahoots with the corrupt rules and aristocrats.  They were so out of touch that they didn't even realize that the communists were re packaging American supplied rice as a gift of the Soviet people.....

My son took a whirlwind tour of Europe; Rome, Paris, Versailles and London back in 98.  I don't think that they were on the ground for a week.  The sponsors turned the last part of the trip into the Princess Di Memorial Death Tour.  Chris managed to escape the trip to the fatal bridge and visit Jim Morrison's grave in Paris.  They wouldn't let them go the the British War Museum, but they had to pass by Kensington Palace.  He had to escape their clutches to get a real live order of fish and chips in London.

“that our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry.” Thomas Jefferson

by markdd on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:35:45 PM PST

•  The Imperial War Museum (the original building) (1+ / 0-)
      markdd

..is on the other side of the Thames, and well away from Kensington Palace. I am sorry that he was subjected to the 'Death Tour'; even today, I work with an American lady in her 40s who is a 'Princess Di' fanatic, and I mean FANATIC!

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:42:02 PM PST

•  I'm worse at London geography (1+ / 0-)
        shortfinals

than James May.  However, my son did organize a group excursion to the Torture Museum somewhere near the Tower of London.

by markdd on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 08:49:36 PM PST

•  How depressing. (1+ / 0-)
        shortfinals

I was once complaining about the Princess Di adulation and a friend told me that while he admired what she tried to do (land mines/aids, etc), she never made him feel ashamed of what he could accomplish.  OTOH, Mother Teresa DID make him ashamed of his puny life.

That seemed a fair comparison.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." - George Carlin

by Most Awesome Nana on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:04:15 AM PST

•  I took an extreme position... (0+ / 0-)

....I was the ONLY person in my immediate circle (and possibly wider) to actually disagree with the massive adulation/public wailing and rending of garments over Princess Diana.

I was instantly ostracised - but felt much better for it.

I KNOW real 'heroes'; I know people who care to a life-threatening extent. I met them flying at tree-top height, through a war zone, delivering grain in the middle of a terrible famine in Ethiopia, in 1983.

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 07:36:19 PM PST

•  I'm not much into hero worship. Everyone has (1+ / 0-)
            shortfinals

clay feet.

I do admire brave people doing extraordinary things but it falls far short of worship.  And I find the outpouring of public grief appalling.

by Most Awesome Nana on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:26:57 PM PST

•  The Ugly American quickly evolved a myth of its (1+ / 0-)
      shortfinals

own.  Bet if you asked 10 people on the street, they would say it was an American overseas acting like a jerk and have no clue there was a book.

And we are UGLY.  Have you seen the clothes we wear?  Comfort is a wonderful thing - but please, please try to cover all that flesh!

Your poor son.  A shame - there is so much to see in London.  He will probably never take another guided tour.  Was it a school thing?

And in my opinion, the best fish and chips are found in Glasgow at the Blue Lagoon - the one on Argyll Street behind the central train station. They really know their GREASE there!   :)

by Most Awesome Nana on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:13:33 AM PST

•  I have to do this! This is IMPORTANT, culture .. (0+ / 0-)

...MUST be spread! Fish and chips are far too...too...fishy...to be left in the hands of anyone less than...ta-dah! THE one, THE only...

'Crest of the Wave' !!!

What is this ambrosia stuff, anyway? THIS is the food of the Gods!  :)

'Per Ardua Ad Astra'

by shortfinals on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:16:03 AM PST

•  That is cruel!!!! (1+ / 0-)
          shortfinals

Don't you realize there isn't a decent fish 'n chips place within MILES of here?!

Now I have to plan a trip to Kearny, NJ to get a nice piece of plaice!!  A three hour drive!  One way!  In good weather!

Curses.  :(

Oh, I forgot.  I'm a vegetarian now.  hehe

by Most Awesome Nana on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:29:50 AM PST

•  Now you've done it! (1+ / 0-)
          shortfinals

I am 200 miles from the nearest body of salt water, the Gulf of California, IN Mexico, on the other side of what I think of as the 'badlands' (re: drug cartels).

Real fish and chips are only a pipe dream here, so this is easily classed as unusual and cruel punishment under the Constitution. I shall be seeking Federal judicial assistance on this matter forthwith, and my attorneys will be contacting you with regards to our intended action.

Sob. They look so good. :(