View Diary: For Me, Gun Control Is Personal. Very Personal. (274 comments)

•  So sad for your friends who lost a child @Newtown. (22+ / 0-)

It is absolutely the deepest pain any of us could ever feel, and so many of us who have been victims of gun violence, or who have had family members who have been shot, have felt the pain of Sandy Hook so deeply.

I wish deep healing, and equally deep gun reform legislation, for your friends in Newtown. Please express our deepest sympathy, empathy and condolence on the loss of their sweet dear child.

So many people here have spoken out about their experience as victims of gun violence, myself included, only to be told to "go eff yourself" by the people who value their weapons apparently more than they value the lives of our children.

Thank you for your personal voice, and thanks to all who are speaking out as victims of gun violence. It is difficult, especially when we are trying to communicate with heavily armed people who gang up on those whom they deem vulnerable.

Remember, those of us who have survived gun violence are stronger than those who hide behind their weapons.

Peace.

"Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." ~Robert F. Kennedy

by Agent99 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 05:12:44 PM PST

•  Are you kidding me? A child's life more valuable (7+ / 0-)

than my gun? NEVER!!!!!!  My gun is in the Constitution, and children are not, therefore my guns are superior!

/snark, cause the situation is so sad that I have to make fun of their "reasoned" positions or else I would explode.

Great comment (yours, not mine).

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 05:24:56 PM PST

•  Defend, I'm hurting, too. But in this diary, let's (9+ / 0-)

Join together in expressing compassion, empathy and condolence for such a devastating loss.

I do not know how to get through to people who believe their right to own weapons trumps our loved ones right to survive.

But I do agree with all of the well-written calls for a kinder dialogue which have been posted by so many Kossacks recently.

So join me in expressing kindness for Vpb and all those who have lost loved ones to gun violence.

Thanks, and peace to all.

by Agent99 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 05:57:13 PM PST

•  False dichotomy (1+ / 0-)
        i love san fran

It's not a choice between my (theoretical) gun or your children. One has nothing to do with the other. You're attempting to spread responsibility for crime to people who aren't criminals. Collective punishment. Isn't that against the Geneva Convention, let alone common sense?

Here's a news flash: I'm never going to mess with your children no matter how many guns I do or do not own, so how about you leave me the fuck alone and focus on the actual criminals?

"Is there anybody listening? Is there anyone who sees what's going on? Read between the lines, criticize the words they're selling. Think for yourself, and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet." --Geoff Tate, Queensryche

by DarthMeow504 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 09:18:46 PM PST

•  Okay, you've posted this twice. (6+ / 0-)

It seems you are the one that is creating the false dichotomy.   The gist of the message here is that when you attempt to make laws to provide some controls over access to weapons that can cause grievous harm - even the simplest most common sense regulations are decried as assaults on MY rights!!!  Frankly, I see little of that from most here but you would have to be totally ignorant not to see that occurring in this country.

And you know what.  Some suggested measures may not do anything to prevent further tragedy.  But you have to wonder why you respond with a repeated statement about it not being about  a choice between MY theoretical gun and children instead of saying X measure would not be very effective I think we should do Y instead.  You choose instead to try to shut down discussion by throwing up false arguments.

You know, I was recently in a college book store with a backpack.  I was asked to leave my backpack in a nearby cubby instead of carrying my possession with me.  Why was that?  Because some people (criminals) would use such a thing to mask their theft.  I had no intent to steal - for crying out load I would drive back in I got home and found I did not pay for an item - but I complied with the rule because some people do steal.  I don't feel that my rights were infringed.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 06:40:40 AM PST

•  Thanks (7+ / 0-)

Discussion of violence like this feels so personal that even writing a post like this feels unsettling.

Nonetheless, my connection to this should be utilized for some good. There's very little I feel I can do that is enough. I see Facebook postings every day that are heartbreaking.

"It doesn't matter whether you win or lose. It's how you ladle the gravy." - Felix Ungar

by Verbalpaintball on Fri Jan 25, 2013 at 06:19:25 PM PST