View Diary: IA-Sen: Tom Harkin (D-IA) to retire at the end of the 113th Congress (72 comments)

•  Vilsack seems like a amiable fellow, but let's not (2+ / 0-)
    Susipsych, greenbell

forget that he's a corporatist Dem.

He served as the Chair of the DLC from 2005-2007 (link).

Now, I don't live in Iowa, but I would be concerned if he of any other corporatist Dem is nominated, since all Senators have the power to greatly affect the lives of citizens from all the states.

Sure hope that the good folks of Iowa will look to a progressive candidate as their Senatorial candidate, not more DLCers.

Especially since we may need to push back on "austerity measures," if a Grand Bargain is struck.  [Just my two cents.]

Mollie

“If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

by musiccitymollie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:54:43 AM PST

•  As are all of the remaining IA Democrats (6+ / 0-)

The real tragedy of Harkin's retirement is that there will be no Senate liberals to step up and take his place, from Iowa or anywhere else.  I think he's retiring because he sees how futile it's become.

Shirley Chisholm was right. Our Republic is in deep trouble.

by Big River Bandido on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:03:14 AM PST

•  Really? (1+ / 0-)
        pistolSO

Liz Warren? Sherrod Brown? Tammy Baldwin?

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:31:57 AM PST

•  Ummm...we'll just have to see (0+ / 0-)

But I have no hope for Washington Democrats, regardless of what they promise on the campaign trail.  Didn't take long for Al Franken to turn around and vote to extend the Bush tax cuts in 2010, and then the whole fucking party voted to extend them just this past New Year's Eve.

That's not the party I voted for.

Shirley Chisholm was right. Our Republic is in deep trouble.

by Big River Bandido on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 12:16:50 PM PST

•  Has Iowa turned red? (Serious question, no snark (0+ / 0-)

intended.)

Here's an excerpt from the 2010 testimony of DLC President Edward Gresser, testifying before the Bowles-Simpson Fiscal Commission:

Rethink Retirement:   If we reduce the number of physically and mentally fit people who choose to retire in their late 60s and early 70s, we reduce the government’s entitlement spending obligations.  The simplest approach is to raise the retirement age, at minimum for workers in less physically demanding jobs.

Other options could include offering ways to mix part-time and online work with partial Social Security benefits after age 67 and into the eighth decade of life, with somewhat higher benefits for in exchange for later retirement.

Don't know about you folks, but that "scared the stew out of me,"
        LOL!

Mind you, this was in a testimony that has probably seen fewer than 100 views in the C-Span video archive.

[Mr. Mollie and I make it our business to watch hearings, because so much comes out of them that you don't get in cable news reporting.]

Here the link to the entire testimony.  Read it and weep.  [I believe that the video is still available in the C-Span video archives.  This testimony was from June 30, 2010, I believe.]

I really hope that you Iowans aren't forced to go with a DLCer, for the obvious reasons.

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:41:59 AM PST

•  Among younger Democratic electeds (1+ / 0-)
          musiccitymollie

I see no trace of New Deal liberalism.  Harkin is just about the last one left in the federal government.

Shirley Chisholm was right. Our Republic is in deep trouble.

by Big River Bandido on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 12:18:28 PM PST

•  BRB, you're right that they are now "few, and far (0+ / 0-)

between."

Frankly, I think that the days (and years) ahead just might change that.  I suspect that if cuts to the social safety net are severe enough over the next number of years, we just might have a resurgence of "true liberalism" again.

I hope it does, and I hope it happens in my lifetime.  :-)

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:29:54 PM PST

•  I don't think that will happen (0+ / 0-)

If anything, I think any cuts to Social Security will be rationalized by Democrats as "something we need to do", or "something we could not continue to support" or how "times have changed", blah blah blah.

Then they will turn around and talk about how Republicans will destroy the program.

Meanwhile, the public gets accustomed to not having the benefit, and Social Security dies with barely a whimper.

Shirley Chisholm was right. Our Republic is in deep trouble.

by Big River Bandido on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 04:03:07 PM PST