View Diary: Family-destroying whores of feminism. You suck! (233 comments)

•  I would love to see a resurgence (18+ / 0-)

of a strong feminist movement. If things continue along this path, I think we will see it happen. I was watching Rachel interview Cecil Richards of Planned Parenthood and she made an excellent point. Women of childhood bearing years today were never exposed to an America where Roe v Wade didn't exist. If it ever gets overturned and our younger generations have no access to safe, legal abortions, that just might do it. I hope it doesn't come to that.

•  When I watched Toure on The Cycle on Friday give (12+ / 0-)

an shall I say impassioned witness to his own views, I think we will be ok. If you did not see it - he spoke of being involved with a gal - they both knew it probably wouldn't work out long term.  She got pregnant. They mutually agreed to an abortion. He said - I was not ready and it wasn't the right relationship. He then spoke of his current wife and their child. And made a very interesting comment which - I think is accurate. When my wife and I went for the ultrasound and I saw our child, I questioned my stance on abortion. And I'm paraphrasing now.. But I think that I made the right decision in the past and it would be wrong to take that right away. 40 years! There is an entire couple of generations of people who have never known of abortion being illegal. Nobody WANTS a fucking abortion. Nobody. These fucking asshats who say that - deserve all the derision we can give them.

if a habitat is flooded, the improvement for target fishes increases by an infinite percentage...because a habitat suitability index that is even a tiny fraction of 1 is still infinitely higher than zero, which is the suitability of dry land to fishes.

by mrsgoo on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 09:01:59 PM PST

•  I defended clinics through NARAL in the 80s (7+ / 0-)

in St. Louis, and am passionately pro-choice.  But when I was pregnant and when my partner and I saw the ultrasounds of our son, I too questioned abortion.  I didn't ever think it should be outlawed; but I understood how difficult it is for so many women to make the choice.

Sure, my son couldn't survive outside the womb at 12 weeks-- but you could see a little teeny beginning of a person in there, and that is powerful.  Yet abortion, should a woman or her partner/spouse need it, should be available.  Because we make a distinction between a "child", and an embryo, and a "baby" and a barely-formed nugget of a fetus, for a reason.  When people say, with joy and hope, "I'm pregnant!  I'm going to have a baby!"  that is one of the greatest blessings on this earth.  But if saying those same words brings with it a sense that one's life is shutting down, one's dreams are dying, or one's ability and means to care for that child is nonexistent, then it is the hallmark of a sane society to make it possible for such a pregnancy to be ended.  As far as is possible, every child should be a wanted child.

That's one more thing to add to my long list of small problems. --my son, age 10

by concernedamerican on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:30:31 AM PST

•  Tipped for your final statement. (1+ / 0-)
          Alexandra Lynch

Lots of problems in society today (reactionary political movements, etc.) are caused by former unwanted children.

It's here they got the range/ and the machinery for change/ and it's here they got the spiritual thirst. --Leonard Cohen

by karmsy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:59:05 AM PST

•  One of the first patients I ever took care (15+ / 0-)

of when I became an RN was hospitalized because of a septic abortion.  It was an ugly time when complications from back alley abortions were among the top 10 causes of death for women.

So-called Pro-Life (fetuses only, actual living humans don't count) folks claim they want to end abortion.  The only abortion they'll end will be the safe, hygenic, professionally performed ones.  And there will be more of them too, because they also oppose birth control.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 10:52:54 PM PST

•  i wonder if it can happen, though, b/c of (0+ / 0-)

demographics.
      more women and less men in the population now.
      what does that mean for behavior?
      i theorize that there's natural selection at work.
      when there's more men in the population (when women died in childbirth before the pill) men had to learn some small degree of refinement to find a mate and a job, to survive.

when there's less men, they can act any way they want...
      this radio show is case in point!

"A dollah makes me hollah"-- Stephen Colbert, pretending to be S. Palin

by stagemom on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:13:38 AM PST

•  Well, hmm... (1+ / 0-)
        Silvia Nightshade

What about feminism? What about women supporting themselves and having jobs and leaving bad relationships in droves? Many men haven't taken well to the phenomenon of independent women, which is only a few decades old. It's made them crazy and beserk and you can see signs of the backlash they've created wherever you turn in society.

by karmsy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 08:05:18 AM PST