View Diary: Glenn Greenwald Responds to Widespread Lies About Him (on Cato, Iraq War, and more) (563 comments)

•  Well this thread (22+ / 0-)

has done nothing but underscore the fact that Greenwald brings out the batshit in some liberals.

But why? That's the interesting question. Hard to escape the conclusion that his vigorous criticism of the man in the White House is mostly the reason.

Also to blame, I think, is the fact that he represents the populist, anti-authoritarian, libertarian left, a POV that unsettles our more establishment-friendly progressives.

•  No. (4+ / 0-)

It's because I was organizing in Huntington,WV against the Persian Gulf (and getting arrested for it too) before anyone outside of his family ever heard of Greenwald.  Put GG in Appalachia, 1991, let him try to do what I did.  I'm not only a "believer" in radical politics, unlike GG, I spent most of my adult life as a practitioner of them as well.

He's in no position to criticize me because he doesn't think I'm as anti-drone war (which I am opposed to) as he thinks I should be.

•  Thanks for that. (2+ / 0-)
        JaceInVA, Quicklund

I tend to keep my own personal experience out of these kinds of discussions. Its probably a mistake, but I've been around these parts for long enough to know that some of these folks will eat it up and spit it right in your face.

But you make it real. Thanks for the grounding.

Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it. - Mahatma Gandhi

by NLinStPaul on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:12:17 PM PST

•  so you're saying that every one of us... (4+ / 0-)
        priceman, triv33, Laconic Lib, PhilJD

who actually was out on the ground being radical is immune to criticism from Greenwald?

just because you were practicing on the ground "radical" politics in your life does not inoculate you from criticism of your currently held beliefs.

and just because the person being critical of your beliefs didn't have the same on the ground experience as you doesn't render their criticism of those beliefs moot.

It's just a blog, not a moral superiority death match. ~paulitics

by poligirl on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 07:22:00 PM PST

•  Greenwald is unqualified to critique me (1+ / 0-)
          Quicklund

Greenwald calls people like myself "cultists" and then whines when people call him names.

I put my ass on the line in college, and my academic future by organizing.  Greenwald didn't.

Food Not Bombs of Richmond,VA used my kitchen to cook food for several years.  We fed 100 or more people every Sunday without getting a permit.  That's an example of "radical politics" I was part of every Sunday for 6 years.  Greenwald never did that.

I organized with the Richmond Coalition For A Living Wage.
          Greenwald didn't.

When the Iraq War happened in 2003, I actively opposed it & organized on the local & national level.  Greenwald didn't.

On less radical fronts, I volunteered for various campaigns over the years, volunteering for the Clinton, Kerry & Obama campaigns, as well as local candidates.  Greenwald couldn't even do that.

Let me know when Greenwald has walked a block in my shoes, maybe then I'll give 2 $hits about what he has to say about me.

I've lived the life he will NEVER have the guts to live.  EVER.

•  Bully for you (2+ / 0-)
        priceman, Demeter Rising

It's nice that you set the standard for everyone to follow.

But do you write a blog that brings issues to the attention of 100k+ people a day?

We decided to move the center farther to the right by starting the whole debate from a far-right position to begin with. - Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay

by denise b on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 08:18:11 PM PST

•  No, do you? (1+ / 0-)
          Quicklund

So someone is more famous than I, does that give him the right to call people like myself "cultists" when they don't have the guts to do what I've done?

So, more blog hits=above criticism?  Might means right?

•  Criticize him all you want (1+ / 0-)
            Demeter Rising

We are all free to criticize whomever we wish. You're the one saying he can't dare criticize you, because you're such a hero and he doesn't pass your test of being equally heroic.

And you're taking what he wrote so personally that it's actually a little weird.

by denise b on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 09:11:11 PM PST

•  The fact that you're so defensive (4+ / 0-)

really puts a lot of doubt on your claims and even if they were true, excusing terrible neoconservative or neoliberal policies because a Democrat conducts them harms many more lives than your past activism could ever hope to touch and it doesn't inoculate you either. John Kerry has done more than you or anyone else as an antiwar activism during Vietnam. that doesn't mean I can't criticize his Senate record which is a dissapointment compared to those years. Yeah, that's not how this works.

So you say you're against drone strikes. Prove it. Greenwald rightfully and substantively calls out terrible policies like the NDAA with substance. I gotta wonder why that bothers you. Don't tell us your "I'm such a badass activist" story. Tell us why you are so bent out of shape.

Tell us why factual columns about the reactions to Greenwald's columns bothers you so much. Do they hit home? Come on. Reveal what is bringing out this overcompensation like dudes that buy Hummers. Come on. Show us on the doll where Glenn Greenwald touched you.

Otherwise it's not really relevant to this debate for many reasons. For one the plural of anecdote is not data; data in Greenwald's columns so so much for your challenge to Greenwald.

I don't negotiate grand bargains with deficit terrorists!

by priceman on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 08:34:53 PM PST

•  For starters, he said people like me would be okay (1+ / 0-)
          Quicklund

with Obama raping a nun.  I wouldn't.  I don't know too many who would be okay with that.  That's a statement that dehumanizes an awful lot of people on this site.  Here's the link:

I suppose GG never said that?  It's just an "Obama-bot" plot against GG?
          I'm not the one who is being defensive.  The entire point of this diary is "defensive" on behalf of GG.

•  People like you, huh? (3+ / 0-)
            Laconic Lib, triv33, Demeter Rising

Well, given how the inhumane treatment of Bradley Manning is disregarded, the disregard for whistle blowers being prosecuted, indefinite detention, Guantanamo open, the disregard for drone strike victims and their families including Anwar Alwaki's 16 year old son; an American citizen along with Robert Gibbs giving scolding parenting advice brushing it off, and how ABL attacked Aaron Swartz on twitter all for the exact reason GG states; I can somewhat understand that metaphor(all of this was excused as GG said it was) even if it was a bit heavy handed and hyperbolic for my taste and I wouldn't have said that.

Also that was really a poorly written article with a lot of its facts wrong on the NDAA.

No, but it's being misrepresented into something it's not.

Yes you are being defensive and obviously holding a grudge. This diary is addressing many of the lazy ad hominem attacks on GG that are lazy like using one tweet in the heat of the moment to disregard an entire register of material in his own words. It's a matter of documentation and factual information that is GG is answering from rumors being spread.

The info is there for people to see. You on the other hand haven't really revealed much and are here uninvited trying to compensate for your modern views of which you haven't really revealed as to why you feel the need to boast about yourself so it's kind of a waste of time to go further. I gotta say I am not impressed though.

I don't negotiate grand bargains with deficit terrorists!

by priceman on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 09:12:18 PM PST

•  Bad form to call another commentor a liar (0+ / 0-)

...just because you do not like what he has to say.

Funny thing is, I've seen you defend your opinions before. Does that make you a liar too?

Intended as illumination only.

•  I did not. I casted some doubt based on behavior (0+ / 0-)

People with that kind of background normally don't feel the need to boast about it over and over again as if it's some kind of elixir for selling out their beliefs now based on criticism.

Yes I do defend my opinions which rely on facts even when someone like you hypocritically insinuates that I am a liar and a CT (from this diary) and then run away when it's debunked. So I certainly won't be taking criticism from you.

I don't negotiate grand bargains with deficit terrorists!

by priceman on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 08:37:51 AM PST