View Diary: AZ Republicans propose new anti-science bill (33 comments)

•  The answer is very simple. (10+ / 0-)

There is NO "controversy".  Period.

When someone says something respond

"Are you a scientist or a science teacher?"

When they say no, then you say

"Then shut up talking about what you don't know about"

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 09:17:53 PM PST

•  I'd prefer to do that (4+ / 0-)
      blueoasis, Ahianne, PSzymeczek, ramara

but when they've infested the legislature I give it a bit more effort. Hopefully some of the Baja community will catch this and sound off to their reps in the state senate, as I did.

“Now, I can imagine the shocking headlines you’ll print tomorrow morning: 'More guns,' you’ll claim, 'are the NRA’s answer to everything!'" -- Wayne LaPierre

by tytalus on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 09:22:39 PM PST

•  It's the old "I'm not a lawyer so I don't presume (1+ / 0-)
        tytalus

to give legal advice" bit

by zenbassoon on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 04:03:12 AM PST

•  There is no controversy, there is a problem (4+ / 0-)
          tytalus, davelf2, carver, PSzymeczek

That problem is that people have been programmed by their religions to deny that little thing scientists call proof. What complicates things is the demagogues that use religion and conservatism to continue and condone an authoritarianism that inherently is antagonistic towards progress and the forward movement of society and scientific knowledge.

•  I'd like to pass a law (0+ / 0-)

that says "Before lawmakers can discuss the pros and cons of evolution they should read On the Origin of Species." I bet they think it's about humans descending from monkeys. I'd like to see their reactions to descriptions of petal shapes on islands compared to the mainland, not to mention the excitement and controversial subject of insect differences.

Sheesh!

Republicans want to make government small enough to fit in your vagina..

by ramara on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 12:54:50 PM PST

•  Sure There Is. Floyd R. Turbo Objects, Ergo, Cont- (2+ / 0-)
      tytalus, PSzymeczek

roversy exists.

by Gooserock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 09:32:52 PM PST

•  so then how do you define (0+ / 0-)

a 'scientist'?

•  I'm tired of everyone's opinion being considered (1+ / 0-)
      tytalus

valid. Call me a technocrat I guess. I try to differ to experts. Yes experts disagree, but they tend to do it intelligently. And you can keep track of their predictions, so if they are wrong frequently you stop considering them experts.

•  The comment from creationist that (2+ / 0-)
        Adam AZ, tytalus

fires up my ire is, "well, my opinion is as good as yours".
        NO! It ain't, asshole.  As a biology teacher with a master's degree and 30 years in the classroom, my opinion is based on the actually study of evolution and the related fields not on the weird fantasy of your favorite stupid idea.
        For years, whenever the unit on evolution rolled around, I was called to the principals office to answer some "concerns" some parents had.  The "concerned" were more often as not herded by a local, arrogant asshole, minister.  For years, I gave the same response - the state and locally approved curriculum directed the teaching of the theories of the evolutionary process, but did not allow for the teaching of "creation science' or "intelligent design". Eventually I told my principal that he could read the state and local directives as well as I could: further, I would not attend any future meetings with the creationist loons.  To underline that I informed my principal that any future meeting with the idiots will not be a "politically correct" gathering and I assured him that people will be offended.

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them. Isaac Asimov (8.25 / -5.64}

by carver on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 10:37:31 AM PST