View Diary: When GOP complains about 'takers versus makers,' they're complaining about their own base (116 comments)

•  I have a friend with kidney disease also. (11+ / 0-)

He works and doesn't receive SSI, but Medicare pays all his dialysis bills even though he's not close to Medicare eligible-age (this is a special program for end-stage renal disease only passed by Congress in 1972:
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/... ) .
    Like your relatives, he thinks he's entitled to this coverage but people with other diseases who aren't covered don't deserve to be covered. His argument is that with dialysis he can work and pay taxes so of course it makes sense for Medicare to pay for him.
    There are plenty of people with other types of chronic illnesses who if they had coverage for the care they need could also work and pay taxes, but somehow he doesn't see them.
    And there are people who are too ill to work but still need health coverage and an income. Sadly, he will be among that group in not all that long -- but I bet when he arrives at that point, he will argue that he deserves the coverage and income and others don't.
    He is a really nice guy -- if you're his friend he'll do anything for you. But somehow he doesn't generalize that desire to help beyond the circle of people he cares about.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 02:12:48 PM PST

•  This describes most conservatives I know (15+ / 0-)
      It's a lack of a certain kind of empathy
      •  This is it...I have a really good friend (1+ / 0-)
        Smoh

who I would literally assume is liberal based on the way she treats her inner circle and the things she values (universal health care, more money to education, etc).  But she might as well be far right when you bring up entitlements and taxes.

I don't get it.  She thinks all of the programs are valuable and needed, but thinks they are run wastefully and rampant with fraud, and we pay way to much to support them, and our taxes should be cut to force them to take action.

It isn't hypocritical per se, but it is naive in my opinion, and I am still working to understand where it is coming from.

It is like the opposite of take your gov hands off my medicare.  It is all needed, but we pay too much for it.

"Small Businesses Don't Build Levees" - Melissa Harris Perry

by justmy2 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 06:29:36 AM PST

•  Part of this is admitting that he IS one of THEM. (5+ / 0-)

Same for gustynpip's brother-in-law.  IF they accept that the vast majority of people who qualify for benefits are legit, then he becomes one of "them."

That's a huge blow to an ego that's been molded by the rugged individualist, pull yourself up by your bootstraps, self-reiliant bullshit that conservatives have been peddling since forever, especially since Ray-gun.

They're completely invested in the idea that people like them are legit but the "others" are not.  And their conservative friends and community re-inforce it because they don't want to admit that someone who they truly like/love/admire/respect is no different than all the "others."

The priest said, "Today's sermon is called 'Liars', but first I have a question. How many of you have read Chapter 66 in Matthew?" Nearly every hand went up. "You're just the group I need to speak to," the priest said. "There's no such chapter."

by Back In Blue on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 05:53:30 PM PST

•  I think you summed it up just right. (2+ / 0-)
        Back In Blue, Smoh

by Tamar on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:27:26 PM PST

•  Thanks. (1+ / 0-)
          Smoh

by Back In Blue on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:45:22 PM PST

•  What gets me are the people... (1+ / 0-)
        Smoh

...who make up the stories.

The ones that repeat them, that I can understand. But the people who say, 'I knew a guy once who was collecting SSI disability and he used go to out jogging every morning and then come home and go out and drink at night, and he was always laughing about how he fooled the government and blah blah BLAH blah blah.'

Sure, some people believe those stories, but someone must start them.

Oh, hey, while I'm here, I have to take exception to your signature. If someone asked me if I'd read chapter 66 is Matthew, I'd probably say yes, too. Because I know I read all of Matthew, back in my college days, but I haven't the faintest idea how many chapters it has in it.

•  Urban legends. (1+ / 0-)
          gustynpip

These stories get repeated ad nauseum because people want to believe them.  They want someone to blame.  It's not that there's zero fraud, but it's not rampant or even excessive let alone half the country!  And they're not new.  They've been told one way or another for a very long time, updated to fit current times, by anyone who wants to demonize "the other."

As for my signature.  It's not aimed at you, necessarily.  But do you feel you know Matthew, having not read it since college?  So you technically read it.  Can you say you could discuss it at all after not having read it since college?  I encounter such christians frequently and I haven't gone to church since I was 16.

I only read the bible when I want to understand how people are abusing it to justify positions that seem "unchristian" to me.  I like to know what I'm talking about when I discuss such issues.  Sadly, more often that not, I know the scripture far better than they do and could even argue a strong "biblical" justification for my position, even if it wasn't supported by scripture, simply because they don't know it.  They're just repeating what their church is selling.

by Back In Blue on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 10:31:34 PM PST

•  I certainly didn't think it was aimed at me... (0+ / 0-)

...since I'm not a Christian. But I find it a little smug and dishonest nevertheless. (Mind you, I've certainly met enough smug and dishonest religious leaders in my time, so it's perhaps not out of character, but I don't think you were making a point relating to how obnoxious a preacher who asks a question like that is. Which is the primary thing I would take away from it.)

As for whether I could discuss it, absolutely I could discuss it, as long as I weren't leading the discussion. I remember enough about it to talk about it, and not enough to generate a discussion of it on my own. I don't remember much off the top of my head, but I'd remember enough of it with prompting to be able to contribute to a discussion about it.

•  Smug? Meh. ;) (0+ / 0-)

by Back In Blue on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 08:44:44 PM PST

•  The irony here in Florida, where our crooked (2+ / 0-)
        Back In Blue, Smoh

Governor Scott and the Rs in Tallahassee made it more difficult to vote by mail this year, was that the rule change impacted Seniors in their own party just as much as the Seniors in ours.

So their own voter turn-out was impacted by their crooked scheme because their own voters didn't know they had to re-register to get their absentee ballots.

• Recommended (129)
  • Spam (23)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Education (21)
  • GOP (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Law (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site