View Diary: GFHC: Too Many Funerals (25 comments)

•  I was lucky (6+ / 0-)

I was looking up my great-grandmother. Because she died young, she was always a pretty big mystery. I see the same census page has a Fitzpatrick family. I followed up and happened to find my grandfather (as a kid) living at the same address many years later, confirming it was the same family.

I actually stumbled upon the grave just by accident when I went to the cemetery to see another grave. I wasn't sure it was the same family, but the names matched up. I visited the NYC archives and pulled all the death certificates. They matched.

Later I spoke with a cousin on that side, who put me in touch with his cousin (on his other side), who was a bit older and somehow knew all about them. She confirmed what I'd found, although she was born well after all those people died and didn't know all the details that turned up.

I visited my cousin in Oregon this past summer and it was strange because he looks just like my grandfather. Nobody on my side does, I'm probably the closest. So I never see anyone who has those features. But he was like the spitting image. It was kind of unsettling since my grandfather's been gone almost 20 years.

My great-grandfather, who was born in 1874, was a pretty distant person. He more or less left his younger kids with his dead wife's younger sister. About ten years after she died he married again and wasn't really close to any of his kids. My father barely knew him. I have no way of knowing if he was always like that or if all the loss changed him.

Republicans...think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it. Harry S. Truman

by fenway49 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 03:28:22 PM PST

•  Well, I'm glad you were so lucky. (6+ / 0-)

It's like finding cookie crumbs in the forest and you kinda found a basketful. It makes us all hopeful.

It's easy to imagine that so much loss would change a person.
      When you think of all the deprivation they suffered before they even got to the point they were able to fall in love and marry...
      with the high hopes having made it here from the old country...
      that they carried on with life at all is somewhat remarkable.

•  It's true (6+ / 0-)
        marykk, edwardssl, brook, liz dexic, Jim H, Scioto

They were tough, though. James would have been a small child when the Great Hunger hit, then made it though that to come here as a young man. Only to suffer all that loss. He still lived to be 78.

I recently learned his mother (whom I'd not been able to identify) is buried in the same grave. She lived a long life but died when my ggf was a child. She didn't live with them but lived a block or two away.

by fenway49 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 05:58:45 PM PST

•  If I may ask... (6+ / 0-)

how did you find out that they were buried in the same grave? I bet that happened more than we would think, given the circumstances. Might be a good thing for us all to keep in mind during our searches.

•  The NYC death certificates (4+ / 0-)
            edwardssl, brook, Jim H, Scioto

list the place of burial (the cemetery only). I noticed one of the married children named on the monument was listed as buried in a different cemetery. The next time I visited, I went to the cemetery office and asked who was in the plot. It's a large cemetery with regular staff.

Turns out James's mother and his wife's mother were buried in that plot, but the married daughters were not. One was with her husband's family in the same cemetery, the other (as per death certificate) in a different cemetery altogether.

Another part of my family is in the same cemetery (it was the first Catholic cemetery in Brooklyn) and they have 19 people buried in one double plot.

by fenway49 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:10:58 AM PST

•  Thank you. (3+ / 0-)
              fenway49, Jim H, Scioto

I do have a reference to a NY burial for one early Irish relative in NYC. This may be quite helpful in finding a couple of others.

•  Where? (3+ / 0-)
                Jim H, marykk, Scioto

I'm pretty familiar with the NYC cemeteries.

Bad news: the ones for the Archdiocese of NY (as opposed to Brooklyn) can't tell you who's in the plot. They can give you a grave location only with name and exact date of death. Records are not cross-referenced. It's a major drag.

by fenway49 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 02:36:39 PM PST

•  Calvary Cemetery (1+ / 0-)
                  fenway49

I know one Baby was buried there - with the internment  date so perhaps there is more for me there. I think I may have some at St. Raymond's in the Bronx. And there's a Samuel J. Smith at Green-Wood who might be my great-grandfather. Or not. Death certificates for NYC 1880-1905 or so have not turned up much for me - a drag as you say. Must keep "digging". ;-)

•  Calvary-ugh (1+ / 0-)
                    brook

beautiful place but that's one of the ones for which you need exact dates. St. Raymond's also, I think. Both Archdiocese of NY. Green-wood, which is not Catholic, is a pleasure to work with. Though they charge somewhat hefty fees for some things, they have the database online.

NYC death certificates generally can only be seen by going to archives in person. It's four hours from me but I go there often enough for family things and try to make it to the archives when I do. They get $11 per certificate so I usually just write the info on a nifty form I designed for that purpose.

Are you familiar with Italian Gen's database? I've found a lot of them through that. If you have a list of names to look up, I can take a look when I go next.

by fenway49 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 07:00:37 PM PST

•  Yes, Ital Gen (1+ / 0-)
                      fenway49

has been quite helpful. May I Kosmail you?

•  Of course (0+ / 0-)