View Diary: Former NFL player out of the closet (43 comments)

•  Wade Davis, former NFL player, (16+ / 0-)

is already out of the closet, and he says he knows about other, still active gay players whose teammate know they're gay.  According to Davis, a gay player doesn't make that much difference to straight teammates.

The domestic violence in this story is very ugly, though.

-5.13,-5.64; If you gave [Jerry Falwell] an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox. -- Christopher Hitchens

by gizmo59 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 05:27:13 PM PST

•  I've Thought About This A Lot Cause It Makes (2+ / 0-)
      gizmo59, slothlax

no sense to me. Now maybe I come from a "strange" time or place, but in high school and college in the 70s and 80s folks just walked around in locker rooms totally nude.

Heck in college we didn't have individual shower stalls, we just all showered in one large room. If you wanted to take a shower you were standing next to a nude dude.

Now that has changed. I go to the gym folks are just not walking around nude.

But the only thing I can think of is that people don't want to think a gay dude is looking at their penis. It is the only reason that can make sense to me we have these attitudes.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 05:33:12 PM PST

•  Well (8+ / 0-)

there were not cell phone cameras back then either.

Self-described political "centrists" believe the best policy is halfway between right and wrong. — @RBReich via web

by BentLiberal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 05:34:30 PM PST

•  I think it's more than cell phones. (4+ / 0-)

Younger men appear to be genuinely uncomfortable being nude among other men.  When I was in junior high school, after gym class, we were forced to take showers, and, yes, it was terrifying, but we all managed to get over it (even those of us who were gay).  In addition to any discomfort straight men may feel being nude when there might be a gay man around, but I think the Jerry Sandusky affair is casting a long shadow.  A significant number of people have decided that all nudity is sexual, and therefore it is unacceptable under any circumstance around other people.

by gizmo59 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 05:52:20 PM PST

•  Same For Me In Gym (2+ / 0-)
          gizmo59, SadieSue

heck I recall, around 1985, I wrestled. We'd sit totally nude, almost on each others lap in the sauna to lose weight. Nobody thought anything about it. Nobody cared. It was just the way it was.

I bet that doesn't happen today ....

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:00:39 PM PST

•  I can speak to this, I think. (4+ / 0-)
            slothlax, Bush Bites, gizmo59, SadieSue

I grew up right in the 'in between' time when gays were really starting to come out of the closet, and before they were really becoming accepted (particularly, late 80s early 90s during the height of the AIDS epidemic and activism that drove so much of the cultural awareness of homosexuality).

What I think changed: the fear of homosexuality led to an aggressive backlash that cemented and in some ways redefined the meaning of masculinity. Fear, I think, drove not just those who were shy about showing their nudity to other males, but was reinforced by other aggressive (fearful of homosexual) males. So both the bullies and the bullied became afraid that their nudity would, in one case, expose them sexually and in the other case, make them vulnerable to bullying... which situation was self-fulfilling.

•  Now that you mention it...... (1+ / 0-)
              gizmo59

I remember some of the things the jocks did to some of the kids in gym class: Lock kids in lockers and piss on them, steal their clothes, put stuff in their underwear, etc.

Kind of glad they don't make kids go through that anymore.

"Michael Moore, who was filming a movie about corporate welfare called 'Capitalism: A Love Story,' sought and received incentives."

by Bush Bites on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:29:23 PM PST

•  my son... (7+ / 0-)

Is a high school athlete and has never showered at school or changed there unless he absolutely has to.

We belong to a gym and he'll only change in a bathroom stall and never showers until he gets home.

The culture is certainly different.

Progressive LIBERAL-right, yet "disloyal" since January 20, 2001

by howie14 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:03:34 PM PST

•  Sandusky... (1+ / 0-)
          gizmo59

I would be horrified if someone thought I was acting inappropriately, while nude, around kids who were also getting dressed.

I try to find a nice secluded area in the locker room, but if that is not possible I find an area where only other adults are around. If you're a man over 30, you don't want to give anyone any reason to think you might be that way.

You can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

by Eric Stratton on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:17:11 PM PST

•  they did away with that in the 80s (1+ / 0-)
          gizmo59

no showers.

except during swimming unit, but no one got nude.

[insert pithy sig line here]

by terrypinder on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 04:33:14 AM PST

•  I think pedophile coach and gym teacher scandals.. (2+ / 0-)
        gizmo59, SadieSue

....might have something to do with it.

by Bush Bites on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:08:04 PM PST

•  My high school had just one big shower room (3+ / 0-)
        gizmo59, jayden, SadieSue

It was basically a community shower room with no stalls, and everyone just got naked and took a shower.  Occasionally some people would make a joke about whether someone was "well endowed" (or lack thereof), but for the most part no one made a big deal about it.  The only thing people worried about was whether somebody would snap them with a towel.

Of course these days no one wants someone photographing their junk and posting it online, but I noticed as far back as the mid-1990's that some people were uncomfortable taking a shower or even taking off their clothes in semi-public places.  I remember asking my nephew at the time what was the big deal, and he was rather repulsed at the idea of showering at school.

•  Lucky me, then (1+ / 0-)
          Hey338Too

as a female, we had "cell" showers -- 4x4 concrete block spaces with a spigot and a plastic curtain to close the entry off. They ran about 6' high around the perimeter of the 'shower room'. Couple times, I had after-school things to attend (NHS banquet) so I stayed after school, showered & dressed there, because the 27-mile 18-stop bus-ride would've meant ... I would either be late getting back, or have no shower.

Air Force BMTS ... whole 'nother story.
          Run 42 kids thru after-PT showers, one big cinder-block-room with 12 spigots down 3 sides, in <12 minutes, dressed & down 3 flights of concrete stairs  (and they're girls, so they gotta get the hair back up off the ears, eyebrows & collars) before line-up, march-away to chow (don't be late or you don't eat, and it's a long damn time until lunch).

Air Force dorms, one shower for every 2 dorm rooms, standard 3x3x6 metal stall.  College ... same thing, actually, except when I went swimming at the rec center, & that was set up like my high school -- . I don't think (this was the '70s and very early 80s) anybody ever thought a camera in the shower room would've been anything but toast.

by BlackSheep1 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:04:52 PM PST

•  Maybe this will be a catalyst (1+ / 0-)
      gizmo59

If there's a "gay rage" backlash, maybe someone comes out in solidarity, there's a pin hole in the dam, and soon enough...

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:21:52 PM PST

•  They're waiting for (0+ / 0-)

the gay Jackie Robinson, some high-profile gay athlete who is so exemplary, he is above reproach.  It can't just be a player who is merely consistent and competent.  That may take a while.

by gizmo59 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:38:39 PM PST

•  Its different though (2+ / 0-)
          gizmo59, SadieSue

Yes, it has to be someone good, but I think it doesn't have to be a superstar.  Robinson is a tough comparison, because there's no hiding the fact that you're black.  He had to be groomed and everyone knew exactly what was going on from the beginning.

If the Wade Davis' assessment is accurate, it seems to me like most players would be uncomfortable at worse.  So someone who is just a solid starter would be enough, someone the fans would not want be ready to ditch, IMHO

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:47:22 PM PST

•  Plus (1+ / 0-)
          gizmo59

I would say gay rights now are light years ahead of black rights when Robinson joined the league.  In that case, baseball was the breaking ground for integration across society, pretty heavy stuff for a country forged in racism.  Coming out in a professional sport will be more like spiking the football, so to speak.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:25:48 PM PST