View Diary: Former NFL player out of the closet (43 comments)

•  I think it's more than cell phones. (4+ / 0-)

Younger men appear to be genuinely uncomfortable being nude among other men.  When I was in junior high school, after gym class, we were forced to take showers, and, yes, it was terrifying, but we all managed to get over it (even those of us who were gay).  In addition to any discomfort straight men may feel being nude when there might be a gay man around, but I think the Jerry Sandusky affair is casting a long shadow.  A significant number of people have decided that all nudity is sexual, and therefore it is unacceptable under any circumstance around other people.

-5.13,-5.64; If you gave [Jerry Falwell] an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox. -- Christopher Hitchens

by gizmo59 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 05:52:20 PM PST

•  Same For Me In Gym (2+ / 0-)
      gizmo59, SadieSue

heck I recall, around 1985, I wrestled. We'd sit totally nude, almost on each others lap in the sauna to lose weight. Nobody thought anything about it. Nobody cared. It was just the way it was.

I bet that doesn't happen today ....

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:00:39 PM PST

•  I can speak to this, I think. (4+ / 0-)
        slothlax, Bush Bites, gizmo59, SadieSue

I grew up right in the 'in between' time when gays were really starting to come out of the closet, and before they were really becoming accepted (particularly, late 80s early 90s during the height of the AIDS epidemic and activism that drove so much of the cultural awareness of homosexuality).

What I think changed: the fear of homosexuality led to an aggressive backlash that cemented and in some ways redefined the meaning of masculinity. Fear, I think, drove not just those who were shy about showing their nudity to other males, but was reinforced by other aggressive (fearful of homosexual) males. So both the bullies and the bullied became afraid that their nudity would, in one case, expose them sexually and in the other case, make them vulnerable to bullying... which situation was self-fulfilling.

•  Now that you mention it...... (1+ / 0-)
          gizmo59

I remember some of the things the jocks did to some of the kids in gym class: Lock kids in lockers and piss on them, steal their clothes, put stuff in their underwear, etc.

Kind of glad they don't make kids go through that anymore.

"Michael Moore, who was filming a movie about corporate welfare called 'Capitalism: A Love Story,' sought and received incentives."

by Bush Bites on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:29:23 PM PST

•  my son... (7+ / 0-)

Is a high school athlete and has never showered at school or changed there unless he absolutely has to.

We belong to a gym and he'll only change in a bathroom stall and never showers until he gets home.

The culture is certainly different.

Progressive LIBERAL-right, yet "disloyal" since January 20, 2001

by howie14 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:03:34 PM PST

•  Sandusky... (1+ / 0-)
      gizmo59

I would be horrified if someone thought I was acting inappropriately, while nude, around kids who were also getting dressed.

I try to find a nice secluded area in the locker room, but if that is not possible I find an area where only other adults are around. If you're a man over 30, you don't want to give anyone any reason to think you might be that way.

You can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

by Eric Stratton on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:17:11 PM PST

•  they did away with that in the 80s (1+ / 0-)
      gizmo59

no showers.

except during swimming unit, but no one got nude.

[insert pithy sig line here]

by terrypinder on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 04:33:14 AM PST

• Recommended (128)
  • Community (59)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (38)
  • Elections (37)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (31)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (29)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Culture (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Economy (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Congress (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site