View Diary: Keep Those Happy Gun Stories A-Comin' (36 comments)

•  i've got one (5+ / 0-)

and it ain't pretty. I met a guy locally and we were socializing; he had made some chit-chat about having been in the Air Force or maybe it was the Navy , and had been on Ritalin for many years, and one night, when other folks who were socializing with him went home, he went to his kitchen, took out his pistol from a cabinet, loaded it (I was sitting by the fireplace at this point, watching the fire and getting ready to head home), cocked the pistol, walked over to me, and put the muzzle of the pistol to my head and told me I was going to have sex with him now.

I don't know why I did this, but I looked up at him very deliberately, and gave him a huge, malevolent smile, and said nothing.  He drew the gun back, uncocked it, and went back into the kitchen.  I said "I'm going to go home now," and got out of there.  I drove - very quickly - to my office downtown, which is a secure pass-coded building, locked myself in, and when dawn came, I phoned the police.  They said they could not arrest him.

I still can't explain why I reacted the way I did, but something about that smile must have frightened him more than the loaded gun did.

"Kossacks are held to a higher standard. Like Hebrew National hot dogs." - blueaardvark

by louisev on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 08:24:23 AM PST

•  Maybe he thought (0+ / 0-)

he was going to have sex with you any way and didn't need the gun.

Now why exactly could the police not arrest him?

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 08:54:04 AM PST

•  because they said (2+ / 0-)
        historys mysteries, BusyinCA

I couldn't prove anything and he would simply deny it.  I could get a restraining order, but they wouldn't charge him with the 'holdup.'

by louisev on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 09:38:01 AM PST

•  And no action (1+ / 0-)
          historys mysteries

has ever been taken when it is one person's word against another person's word.  Incredible.  They just didn't want to do the paperwork.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 10:00:59 AM PST

•  I guess, I was too shook up at the moment (3+ / 0-)
            newfie, BusyinCA, splashy

to tell the cops they weren't doing their job or that something more should be done.  fortunately, he never came after me.  I count that as my "near miss' but also it taught me an indelible lesson about people who tell me they have weapons.  To listen to them very carefully, because they are saying that for a reason.

by louisev on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 11:51:05 AM PST

•  Not you fault at all. (1+ / 0-)
              louisev

And thank God the cops didn't get reminded of their job by him coming after you again.

I have some sympathy for them in that aspects of the job can be a real PIA.  But the news clue for them is that many of us have jobs of which some (or many) aspects are a PIA.  Except in my case neglecting the PIA parts never results in someone getting killed or injured.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 11:59:29 AM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site