View Diary: Michigan GOP ponders getting in on some sweet electoral college rigging action—or not (54 comments)

•  Texans would love to have our votes count - (4+ / 0-)
    HappyinNM, DaddyO, phree, Overseas

Democrats in Texas are used to voting for no reason.  It would drive up the voter participation in Texas if we knew that our vote would actually mean something, instead of being gerrymandered out by a hypermajority of Republicans.

I see you drivin' 'round town with the girl I love / And I'm like / Please proceed, Governor. - Dave Itzkoff

by Jensequitur on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:34:53 PM PST

•  Which is why Democrats should do the same thing (1+ / 0-)
      MichiganGirl

...when THEY ARE IN POWER. It's how the game is played. Those are the rules. Unless you change the Constitution itself, a non-starter from now on...then TAKE THE POWER WHEN YOU HAVE IT. Instead of letting the Republicans play by different, perfectly legal rules.

Jerrymander the SHIT out of your state when your turn comes! Or if you think that's not polite, that's not fair, that if YOU act 'civilly' then THEY will...I have a bridge in Nome to sell you.

"I feel a lot safer already."--Emil Sitka

by DaddyO on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:51:49 PM PST

•  Districts should be automatically generated - (1+ / 0-)
        Mgleaf

based upon population and concentration, not upon which party's in power.  Otherwise we'll never get out of this vicious circle.

by Jensequitur on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:53:41 PM PST

•  Should, should, should (0+ / 0-)

Tell me how to deal with the situation NOW. Constitutional amendment? Sure. State-by-state law changes? That's what THEY tried.

This is the system we have, and it's dictated by the Constitution itself. To bitch about someone playing by the rules--which is what the Republicans are doing, make no mistake--is to bitch about the rain.

I'm actually shocked that they gave up so easily.

"I feel a lot safer already."--Emil Sitka

by DaddyO on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 05:01:35 PM PST

•  I suspect the reasoning ... (1+ / 0-)
            pimutant

... is that they have some internal polling showing that independents will go crazy and punish them for it. That has to be why the effort seems to be collapsing.

This kind of game-playing will be punished.  Best to be on the side of democracy.

•  Let's see if they're still thinking fairly (1+ / 0-)
              corwin

come October 2016. These legislatures and governors moved rather quickly on some of their pet bills when they felt they could get away with it, and ol' Reince seems like he could be a bit of a sleeping possum when he has to be if he felt it was to his party's advantage. Likewise with some of his compatriots.

"We must not confuse absolutism for principle." - Barack Obama

by Beastly Fool on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 05:37:22 PM PST

•  True, but ... (0+ / 0-)

By 2016, it is very likely that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan will all have democratic governors, and at least one house in each state, rendering such attempts futile. Also, Florida and Ohio look pretty good for having a democratic governor at least. I am hopeful that this threat is near its end.

Do Pavlov's dogs chase Schroedinger's cat?

by corwin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:22:03 PM PST

•  Texas Democrats would be happy (0+ / 0-)

if a change that felt a bit less rigged - and made us feel like our votes counted just a little - would be to apportion electors on the proportion of the total vote for each party rather than by district.  So Texas has forty electoral votes.  If these were apportioned by number of votes, and  the Democrats' share of the total vote were 40%, Texas would award 16 electoral votes to the Democratic presidential candidate.  That would make the Democrats feel much better about voting, at least in presidential election years.

Of course the problem with that suggestion is that Republicans who control the state government don't give a rat's ass about how Democrats feel about voting.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:43:51 PM PST