View Diary: Emergency Help Needed: marabout40 Will Be Homeless Tomorrow (152 comments)

•  I'm lucky that I could afford to retire (age 63 (8+ / 0-)

when I stopped working) so I'm not looking for work. Took me a year to get used to not working and I have to admit it was pretty much a wasted year (other than getting into good physical exercise habits). But since I accepted being retired (about 2 months ago) and gave my organization back all the data I'd been working on, I've been getting into this.
    Politics and weaving and my 12-year-old daughter (3rd child but the first time I've been a full-time mother) are my job now.
    I've worked since my senior year in high school -- including part time through college and grad school -- so about 45 years. (That's one reason I get so mad when I hear the moneyed types talking about how people can't expect to work 25 years and then collect Social Security for 30 years -- I don't know anyone whose work only lasted 25 years unless they developed a serious illness or disability).

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:47:57 PM PST

•  I have had intermittent employment at times. (4+ / 0-)
      brook, Renee, Tamar, aitchdee

It is strange to not work after so many years of working. But I soon found that I can't not work. Not my nature.

Now I do my level best to help people help themselves get or stay healthy. It has become almost a calling, after years in marketing and sales.

Your life of politics, weaving and parenting sounds great. I bet your daughter is glad to have a full-time mom.

You can't go back and rewrite your past, but you can use your past to create your future. ~ Ray Lewis

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:39:18 PM PST

•  Where's your health food store? Since the CEO (3+ / 0-)
        4Freedom, PinHole, aitchdee

of Whole Foods made his latest stupid comment, I'm searching out all the alternatives in my area. I can't get everything I could get at WF, but I can get most of it. And I feel better about where my money's going.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 03:14:47 PM PST

•  I'm tucked away in a small town in Vermont. (5+ / 0-)
          PinHole, Tamar, aitchdee, blueoasis, timewarp

The store is small, but we stock all-organic produce, local dairy and meat, local honey and maple syrup, locally produced biodynamic herbs, lots of organic bulk foods, vegan protein sources, local cheeses, and a full line of supplements, flower essences and tinctures. Many groceries, too, as I like sushi and oriental cuisine, so we have many sauces and noodles and misos.

I do almost all the buying, and am usually on the floor. But today I babysat this diary, because marabout needs options. Our family has food and a roof over our heads. There isn't lots of material comfort, but we have  fairly low stress level as a result.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 03:34:41 PM PST

•  Sounds like a lovely store. Wish I lived nearby (3+ / 0-)
            4Freedom, aitchdee, timewarp

(we're in MD near Washington, D.C.)
            When I was in grad school in New Haven, I'd go with friends to Vermont on an occasional weekend. I remember that when we crossed the state line into Vermont, I would feel this sudden sense of relief and calm. I always associate Vermont with that peaceful feeling.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:27:48 PM PST

•  That was my initial impression (2+ / 0-)
              Tamar, aitchdee

of the state as well. Once I first crossed the New Hampshire border into Vermont, I felt that sense of peace.

Coming straight out of NYC, that peace was a good thing!

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:38:44 PM PST