View Diary: A little scared tonight.... (76 comments)

•  My wife, a medical professional, calls this (22+ / 0-)

"Hunting Zebras" because there seems to be no easy, standard answer.  She's asleep, but I think her advice would be "be your own advocate" and keep looking because there is something causing this and it's gonna require someone to think outside the nine dots.  She had an un-diagnosed, or actually mis-diagnosed, illness for years.  Finally, in desperation, we went to a research Physician in what we thought was the probable problem area...and he diagnosed it...and it is/was treatable.

Same happened to me...terrible dizzy spells.  I couldn't recount the various diagnoses I received and the often bizarre treatments suggested.  Finally, did our own research and found  a real specialist in Atlanta who saw me...diagnosed in 10 minutes...and put me on the road to a normal life...the very next day.

Keep the faith...and work on it.

The longer I live, the clearer I perceive how unmatchable a compliment one pays when he says of a man "he has the courage to utter his convictions." Mark Twain

by Persiflage on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 06:32:33 PM PST

•  Didn't it wear on you? (14+ / 0-)

I'm pretty smart and read a lot, but sometimes I think I'm going to have to go to med school myself. :)

"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." ―Yoda to Anakin Skywalker

by Auntie Neo Kawn on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 06:42:27 PM PST

•  Yes...it wears...but the alternatives (14+ / 0-)

are not so good either.  I have great respect for physicians.  It's an art and a science.  But, some get awfully used to treating the things that account for 80-90% of peoples problems and sometimes seem to want to fit that 10% weirdness back into that area...and have to really be motivated to look outside their comfort zone.   I've read several diaries here about people fighting to get their doc to consider looking for Lymes Disease...and then, whoops...that's what it was.  Just an example...

by Persiflage on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 06:56:30 PM PST

•  I've been experiencing "undiagnosis" (4+ / 0-)

I think the biggest problem is at the end of the day all these doctors go home and they eat dinner, watch TV or whatever, and go to sleep.  We're the ones who continue to suffer with these problems.  We're the ones who really care that it gets fixed.

No one is going to put in as much effort to find the answer as you are.  Unfortunately, I'm starting to feel like the medical system is just getting in the way, and that if I could just order my own tests I would already have ruled a lot of things out, if not diagnosed my own problem by now.

For some reason, it seems to me that more medical knowledge just leads to more indecisiveness.  If doctors don't really have a good idea what the problem is, they seem very reluctant to just test for some things, even if they might be long shots.

I realize that they need to justify their tests to insurance companies, and they don't want to order a lot of pointless tests, but sometimes the answer just isn't that clear.  In the situation where someone is not improving, doing nothing is not going to help!  Argh!  The whole thing is so frustrating.

Just out of curiosity, what was causing your dizzy spells, and by dizziness do you mean vertigo or lightheadedness?

•  It was (0+ / 0-)

benign positional verigo.  Solved with Meclazine.   Now, it returns only infrequently.

by Persiflage on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:40:50 PM PST

•  yeah, zebras (17+ / 0-)

I have a zebra.  I don't know how many years I spent going to doctors who gave me funny looks and diets and blood pressure pills (which do not treat this illness, I didn't respond to them) and I have had endocrinologists laugh in my face when I told them I had found the disease that matched my symptoms, and I have now had three different mass spectroscopy tests that proved I have it, and there are still doctors who think I'm making it up despite the proof and the guidance from the research hospitals.  They laugh at you until they stop laughing and the tests come back, and they they shake their heads.  But they don't apologize.  Well, I've never gotten an apology.

"Kossacks are held to a higher standard. Like Hebrew National hot dogs." - blueaardvark

by louisev on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 06:43:09 PM PST

•  "When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras" (1+ / 0-)
      MKinTN

Diagnostic principle: If the set of symptoms and circumstances you're looking at match a very common disease state and maybe a few very rare disease states, it's probably the common one. Treat it as if it is and see what happens.

If the treatment for the common disease state works, you were right. If it doesn't, then you can start looking at the weird possibilities.

Unfortunately, far too often the response when the common treatments fail is instead to blame the patient for not following your instructions and assume s/he is lying about something.

•  I assume from "m..medusa, you are a medical person (0+ / 0-)

And you are obviously correct.  I would add that sometimes (in my experience) MD seems to mean medical deity to the physician him/herself and that's the problem ...as stated in your last sentence.  I could elaborate, but ...

by Persiflage on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 03:52:44 AM PST