View Diary: * New Day * What is Your Favorite Impromptu Destination to Meet Friends for Food & Drink? (158 comments)

•  I live in one room. (2+ / 0-)
    side pocket, navajo

just not feasible to have people come into it.  Not at all.  I always have to meet people outside my sleeping space, I offer to cook at friends' homes, bring food with me, volunteer to house sit for friends when they travel.

But the norm is to meet elsewhere; its just a reality of the living arrangements.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 11:26:35 AM PST

•  I've hosted parties in my hotel rooms (3+ / 0-)
      a gilas girl, dharmasyd, navajo

where I've made and served tea to around 40 people - that included making tiny finger sandwiches, deviled eggs (they boil most excellently in a tea kettle), and brewing up pot after pot of tea. We sat around on the beds and floor and each other's laps, and had a grand time.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:22:53 PM PST

•  :-) See, this exchange is just one illustration (4+ / 0-)
        Noddy, Prof Haley, dharmasyd, navajo

of the beauty of human diversity.

I can tell that this is something you really enjoy by the way you describe it and how finding solutions to structural impediments seems to make you happy (as does the interaction and the ability to provide hospitality)

But what you describe sounds absolutely horrible to me: like the fastest and most direct route for me to a catatonic depressive state.

I'm literally clinching my teeth as I read it, since I know, given my own history with depression, and my introverts need to have my sleep space as a haven to retreat from the stress of dealing with people, that if I even attempted such a thing--while I could probably pull it off-- it would wreak such havoc with my emotional health in the aftermath of doing it, that real harm could ensue. That's just no fun at all.

Thus do we live with the cards that life deals us, I guess.  While entertaining is fun for me and I'd like to be in a situation where I could do it more often, without the proper space for me to do it in a way that sustains me, I'll just meet folks in the cool bbq joint, or the coffee shop across the street for the time being.

But you seem to have the ingenuity of a well-practiced professional caterer, and I congratulate you on that.  It's not an easy set of skills to master!

by a gilas girl on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 01:36:14 PM PST

•  I don't think I could handle it either. (2+ / 0-)
          a gilas girl, navajo

I've gone catatonic-depressive at dinner parties in my own house. The crowd [by which I mean >6-8 people], and the confinement of a sit-down dinner have me looking for an escape hatch right away. Free-to-leave is a vital part of any event where I'm concerned. Hosts don't have the option.

into the blue again, after the money's gone

by Prof Haley on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 01:54:41 PM PST

•  Then off to the restaurants with you! (2+ / 0-)
          a gilas girl, navajo

Or the coffee shop, or the cute new bistro.

They sound like a perfect place for you!

I understand - my siblings and offspring are that way, too. They need their private havens. Just because entertaining in tiny spaces can be done doesn't mean everyone has to do it.

by Noddy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 01:55:07 PM PST

•  Deviled Eggs are delicious... (1+ / 0-)
        navajo

...should have been included in "comfort foods."

"Truth and love will overcome lies and hatred.” Vaclav Havel