View Diary: Gabrielle Giffords vs. Wayne LaPierre at Senate gun violence hearing (68 comments)

•  As Tempted as I am to Watch, (9+ / 0-)

I better not. Once Mr. NRA Domestic Terrorist opens his pie hole, I'll be too tempted to yank my work laptop out the nearest window, and he's not worth having to replace the mother.

"HERPES was more popular than Dick Cheney when he left office!" Rachel Maddow 5/23/12

by CityLightsLover on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:38:08 AM PST

•  I know what you mean (1+ / 0-)
      CityLightsLover

I am not sure my coworkers appreciate my passionate f-bombing of CSPAN - for some reason they think that's weird. Brought Bruce Born to Run and Simon and Garfunkel's greatest in from the car, but I just know I won't be able to resist the live stream of the French guy.

I'm pretty tired of being told what I care about.

by hulibow on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:47:21 AM PST

•  I think I'll watch Giffords and Kelley (4+ / 0-)

I doubt I'll stick around for LaPierre.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Love one another

by davehouck on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:55:51 AM PST

•  I just watched Giffords statement (8+ / 0-)

She was wonderful!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Love one another

by davehouck on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 07:20:34 AM PST

•  Forgive me, but it was content-less. A HUGE ... (1+ / 0-)
          Laconic Lib

... missed opportunity.

Rep. Giffords should have been followed immediately by her husband on her behalf and in her name testifying to a list of measures to curb guns and ammo.

They blew a golden opportunity when the most compelling and believable advocate for serious gun control legislation left the hearing room after asking only for bold leadership... and then business went on as usual.

Many viewers will turn off TV for what follows - nearly endless speeches by elected officials, none of whom are there to listen. And the media has no ringing call for action to cover. Instead, the MSM will treat the story as the power of the NRA. As if that, at this point, is the real news.

A HUGE opportunity was blown on this. And that's the No. 1 hearing by the Democrat-chaired chaired committee of chief jurisdiction. Where the heck are the effective strategists behind gun control?

2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

by TRPChicago on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 07:47:36 AM PST

•  She didn't NEED "content" -- the content was HER (3+ / 0-)
            GDbot, dewtx, PSzymeczek

And the fact that this eloquent former member of Congress has been physically diminished by her injuries to a careful, very slow speaking style.  A direct result of gun violence, basically shoved under their noses.

Because it could have been any of them who got shot in the head on a campaign stop.

-----
            Tom Smith Online
            I want a leader who shoots for the moon. The last time we had one, we got to the moon.

by filkertom on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 09:37:44 AM PST

•  Not a campaign stop. (0+ / 0-)

It was a constituent event which took place after the 112th Congress began its session.

You can't keep a mighty tree alive (much less expect it to thrive) by only spritzing the fine leaves at its tippy-top. The fate of the whole tree depends on nurturing the grassroots. - Jim Hightower

by PSzymeczek on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:46:12 PM PST

•  WE don't need convincing. We DO need the ... (0+ / 0-)

... specifics and substantial argument behind them.

The NRA's stock in trade is money. Contributions and NRA member presence in every district give it CONTACT access to pick apart each argument we make, every specific proposal. We have no single special interest advocate with that kind of effectiveness.

So No, with the greatest respect, Gabby was the lead witness and everyone loved her and respected her presence ... and can all say how they admire her resolve. And not change one thing she asked for. Why?

Because she didn't ask for anything.
              Apparently, her husband must have come back to testify. That does have some impact. But it would have had more, much more I believe, if it directly and immediately followed HER testimony, even if very briefly, with her there. The cameras and all the clips for the rest of the day would have HER on tape helping put the specific case for an assault rifle ban, banning hi-cap clips, etc.

Theatrics and strategy matter here. HOW we tell the story matters here.

2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

by TRPChicago on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 01:04:52 PM PST