View Diary: Senate witness says women need 'scary-looking' guns to defend themselves (212 comments)

•  Is this the only way you envision a woman handling (11+ / 0-)

a weapon?

Hopefully not, as I am most definitely a woman and can hit a target better than most men every time I attempt it. I also provided myself college funds with my marksmanship.

•  It's almost as bad as (2+ / 0-)
      createpeace, drmah

the discrimination that the repubbies are showing regarding women in combat.

Well. I take that back. I think I would hate the mockery more than the flat refusal.

It's safe to trust a sane person with the keys to nuclear weapons, but it's not safe to trust an insane person with the cleaners under the kitchen sink. The answer is not more gun control, it's people care.

by JayFromPA on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 03:59:27 PM PST

•  Handgun? How much training? (8+ / 0-)

The NYPD as well trained, brave and dedicated as they are were measured for accuracy based on gun discharge statistics between 1998 and 2006 the 2008 Rand study concluded that under real world live fire conditions they only hit what they were shooting at 18% of the time.

The August 2012 shootout at the Empire state building at least 8 innocent bystander civilians were hit with police rounds......

I want 1 less Tiny Coffin, Why Don't You? Support The President's Gun Violence Plan.

by JML9999 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 03:59:44 PM PST

•  I'm glad you cite the 2008 Rand study ... (3+ / 0-)
        JML9999, Bailey2001, Ginny in CO

but that report and the continuing data suggests that NYPD firearm training and force skill level are notably deficient.

The Rand report notes:

NYPD officers are required to requalify on their firearms twice a year. While the requalification course meets the standards required by New York and is consistent with national norms, shooting at paper targets on a known-distance range does not demonstrate that the officer has mastered his or her firearm and is ready for a shooting confrontation on the streets.
        At page 18

In this recent December 2012 news article, these training and skill deficiencies remain:

“It’s very brief, minimal," one officer with a military background tells the Times of the training, referring to it as a "factory line" approach. "Firearms training is important—it's very important. And it's something that is not taken seriously."
        •  Cool! Youve Convinced Me! Every Dipshit on (2+ / 0-)
          VTelder, kmfmstar

The planet deserves their god given right to weapons of mass slaughter!  Good job sweetcheeks!  RAH RAH NRA!!!!

My berzooka's in the mail!  Yeehaw let's shoot some shit up, dude!

This post is dedicated to myself, without whom, I'd be somebody else. Though I'd still be an asshole. My Music: [http://www.myspace.com/beetwasher]

by Beetwasher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 05:42:28 PM PST

•  it's not at all unusual for people with guns (2+ / 0-)
        JML9999, CA wildwoman

(whether it's cops and a perp, or two opposing armed gangs, or whatever) to pull their weapons at room distance and empty entire mags at each other without anyone hitting anything.

I'm quite sure that virtually none of the CCW hero-wanna-be's would be able to hit the broad side of a battleship in actual conditions.

Shooting at a range and shooting under real-danger pressures are two entirely different things.

•  So, you're not an untrained mother of 6 trying (8+ / 0-)

to fire a weapon for the first time, while making sure that none of her children is in harm's way.

How often does the average mother of 6 get out to the firing range?

Most people do not know how to properly and safely handle firearms, regardless of gender.

I doubt that JML thinks that's the only way women handle firearms.

Take back the House in 2014!!!! ( 50-state strategy needed)

by mungley on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:06:14 PM PST

•  I have 4 children, one who is disabled...work a (5+ / 0-)
        DSPS owl, artebella, mungley, ancblu, Jo Bob

full time job, have a doctorate and still find plenty of time to blow away targets at a gun range and hunt....among other things.

How many men have children, full time jobs and can still hit a target?

I guess no one asks that question.  It's assumed that having a penis makes one a good marksman, I suppose.

•  How do you know most people who own guns (1+ / 0-)
        Jo Bob

don't know how to properly shoot them?  What study proves that?

In places where guns are common and used often, and people have them....I assure you, they know how to handle them.

Shooting a gun properly is not an incredibly hard skill to master.  It takes some practice, but it is one of those things that once someone has properly taught you and you practice and really learn how to do it....then you will know it.

Children learn the skill and do it well often before they are old enough to drive.  I won my first scholarship before I entered middle school.

•  What I said was "most people" (2+ / 0-)
          Minnesota Deb, CA wildwoman
          I did not say most 'gun owners.'

There are people who don't own guns and we still count as people, if you can believe that.

It seems from what you've written here we agree on that matter.

As someone who has spent most of her life training with firearms, you must realize that there is a difference between you and a novice who has been convinced to buy a gun to protect herself or himself without the proper training.

Take back the House in 2014!!!! ( 50-state strategy needed)

by mungley on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 05:28:25 PM PST

•  Stats? Studies? (4+ / 0-)
          VTelder, a2nite, Oh Mary Oh, CA wildwoman
          How do you know most people who own guns don't know how to properly shoot them?  What study proves that?

I lived in AK 14 years, owned guns, hunted. Almost killed both kids and myself (SAD). AK has had very high gun ownership and gun deaths for decades. Salmon runs on rivers that are accessible by cars are referred to as 'combat fishing' for good reason. When a physician who had been head of Public Health retired after many years, he had this advice for Alaskans: If you want to keep from being killed by a gun, don't associate with anyone who owns one. That would leave very few potential friends.

As far as training with a gun for competence, and being able to fight off some bad guys. 20/20, Diane Sawyer and some professional law enforcement officers/trainers did a very good job on that in this 9 minute segment. If only I had a gun. I especially like 'perishable skill'.

The closest I've ever come to that much adrenaline are the cardiac codes I participated in over 16 years as a critical care nurse. There is only one dead person, rarely any blood, and no one is shooting at the code team. A big part of running a successful code is controlling the adrenaline level in the room. That takes a lot of code experience and practice to master and maintain.

Just this weekend a 69 year old ex marine heard unusual noise from the front of his house. Because a neighbor had been vandalized recently, and the community was mistakenly (per law enforcement) afraid that local gang violence was increasing, he grabbed a gun and went out his front door. Seeing a strange car in his driveway, he fired into the air. He claims the driver put the car in forward. The police found it at the bottom of the drive.

The gun owner shot and killed a 22 year old who had pulled into the driveway by mistake.  Looking for a friend he, his 17 yo girlfriend and 15 yo brother were going to go ice skating with. Initial reports blamed faulty GPS instructions. Doesn't matter. The whole situation is creating scenarios that start with hyped up fear and escalate rapidly into violence.

You and the vast majority of owners are capable with guns. It's a relatively small group that are using guns and violence to cope with their problems. The victims, far more often than perps, are spouses, children, the gun owner, other family, friends, bosses, coworkers and total strangers.

Like Tom Edison, I think we should use good ideas (stats, studies), and a lot of perseverance to find the most effective ways to deal with this. Many approaches that include socioeconomic and mental health factors along with well written gun laws that are funded, administrated and enforced as intended.

by Ginny in CO on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 07:56:30 PM PST

•  My wife hates guns and she is a dead-eye with (1+ / 0-)
      CA wildwoman

a pistol (9 mm). Scary and a waste of talent since she hate guns.

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens," -Friedrich Schiller "Against Stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in Vain"

by pengiep on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:41:44 PM PST

•  almost no chance (2+ / 0-)
        Oh Mary Oh, CA wildwoman

your wife will ever feel regret about it. How often to marauding bandits show up ready to rape and pillage? Basically never.

•  She really could have been a competitive shooter (0+ / 0-)

she was that good.

by pengiep on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:19:54 PM PST

•  I learned to shoot with my dad's .222 rifle (1+ / 0-)
            CA wildwoman

I hunted a lot of groundhogs for the family spaghetti sauce. The thing with groundhogs is that you MUST kill them instantly with one shot, because if they're just wounded they will run down down their hole and die there where you can't recover them, and I preferred to eat everything I shot. So I learned to drill them through the head at 100 yards with a ten-power scope.

Of course, the groundhogs were not shooting back . . . . .

I've always been a very good shot. My dad was an Airborne Paratrooper, and I could usually out-shoot him.

•  My wife is a better shot than me (1+ / 0-)
      CA wildwoman

but the first time she fired my Moisin-Nagant carbine the recoil literally knocked her on her butt.

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

by Major Kong on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 04:43:36 PM PST