View Diary: Top Comments: Creeque Alley Edition (109 comments)

•  "I Saw Her Again" was my favorite ..... (12+ / 0-)

..... song of theirs, bar none. Not so much because of the melodies and harmonies .... it was the driving rhythms underneath, that propelled the tune.

When Denny came in early on one of the final choruses, producer Lou Adler liked it and decided to leave the mistake in. Paul McCartney deduced that it was an error, saying "No one's that clever."

"We should pay attention to that man behind the curtain."

by Ed Tracey on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:16:57 PM PDT

•  Agreed (8+ / 0-)

It takes a LOT for me to say "soundtrack of an era," Ed, and that was, and none of the others were as much. This time, it's easy to agree!

-7.75, -8.10; . . . Seneca Falls, Selma and Stonewall (h/t cooper888)

by Dave in Northridge on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:19:55 PM PDT

•  A Helluva Lot of Great Music Has Sprung From (7+ / 0-)

people being not that clever at one moment or another, in all genres from trad to classical to jazz, pop and everything else. And anyone who's been a performer has had the chance maybe several times a year to on-the-fly work a well-received blunder into the heart of a live performance.

Given the exhausting amount of live performing of the Beatles in their formative years, nobody could know this better than one of them.

by Gooserock on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:27:32 PM PDT

•  I always wondered about that stray (5+ / 0-)

"I saw her....." It sounded both like a mistake and yet so right, at the same time. Whenever I hear that song I just wait for that moment. I love it.

To keep our faces turned toward change, and behave as free spirits in the presence of fate--that is strength undefeatable. (Helen Keller)

by kareylou on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 08:44:36 PM PDT

•  The Chopin scherzi. The Mamas & the Papas. (2+ / 0-)
        Dave in Northridge, kareylou

Pretty clear you know great music when you hear it, kareylou.

•  wow, thanks. (2+ / 0-)
          Dave in Northridge, Remediator

What a nice reply!

by kareylou on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 03:38:20 AM PDT

•  ps (3+ / 0-)

A nice story about good music:
               Last Friday night, about 10, I was playing some pieces that I am teaching my students. I was concentrating on one piece in particular and playing the right hand over and over, when there was a tentative knock on my front door. I went to the door and opened it, squinting, because my porch light is out.
               There was a man, about forty or so, tall and broad, African American, dreads. I got a benign vibe from him; thought he must be lost or car trouble or something. But he immediately said "Invention Number 8! F Major! Right hand! I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. I heard it from the sidewalk. I'm working on that piece right now" We chatted a few minutes. He is the son of a neighbor and is helping her move. As an aside, I'm sorry to see her go. She is one of the group I canvass and watch election returns with.
               Finally I said it's cold, come in. Turns out this guy is a self-taught Bach genius. He could play so many pieces and knew a lot about counterpoint. We talked about classical music and played different pieces for each other. He raved over my piano, which always makes me feel good. Finally he left about midnight with a promise to bring his fifteen year old son by, who he says is also working his way through the Bach catalog.
               It was just such a fun connection to make. Sort of like our connection over the Rubenstein concert.

by kareylou on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 03:53:20 AM PDT

•  Incredible. Really good musical (3+ / 0-)

tastes and great politics, too.

Bach still packs 'em in.  He heard that F Major Invention and he had to come near it.  His ears were telling him, "Dude, it's a beautiful piece.  Someone inside that house knows how it's played.  Go knock on the door and say something."

Great story.

Good to see you knockin' around on the interwebs here at Dkos.  And keep doing Bach.  When this guy brings his 15-year old son around maybe serve a "Bach's lunch."

• Recommended (150)
  • Community (70)
  • Memorial Day (29)
  • Media (28)
  • Environment (28)
  • Elections (27)
  • Civil Rights (27)
  • Culture (27)
  • Law (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (23)
  • Labor (22)
  • Economy (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • Climate Change (18)
  • Marriage Equality (18)
  • Education (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site