View Diary: UCONN Courant poll: 'The Newtown shootings have swayed their opinions' (179 comments)

•  Remeber those dead actor ads (3+ / 0-)
    lyvwyr101, Radiowalla, Laconic Lib

I want 1 less Tiny Coffin, Why Don't You? Support The President's Gun Violence Plan.

by JML9999 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 08:23:35 AM PST

•  in that regard what do you think? (5+ / 0-)
      Sandy Hook Pictures Would Change Debate

"The mutilated face of the victim was left untouched by morticians at the mother's request. She said she wanted 'all the world' to witness the atrocity."

Jet Magazine, Sept. 15, 1955, on the open-casket funeral of 14-year-old Emmett Till.

The wounds were "very devastating," said Connecticut's chief medical examiner, H. Wayne Carver II at the press conference following the Sandy Hook shootings in December.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 08:28:48 AM PST

•  Hell yes it would change the dynamic against (2+ / 0-)
        lyvwyr101, Radiowalla

the extremists in the NRA and GOA....

It was the parent's request we see what was done to their child....

by JML9999 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 08:34:27 AM PST

•  I'm thinking more along the lines (4+ / 0-)
          JML9999, Laconic Lib, RadGal70, Faito

of social opprobrium rather than emphasizing the bloody effects of gun violence.  I don't think that has worked very well to change attitudes, at least not until now.  Maybe Sandy Hook will be different.

I'm thinking about generating an "EWWWW" factor when gun
          ownership is mentioned.  Guns have been idolized and worshipped for too long.  Now let's make them and their owners  socially unacceptable, much in the same way that smokers have become.

How about some ads with women saying they won't date men who own guns?  Or men who won't date gun-loving women?
          How about not socializing with gun lovers?  How about not letting your children go into homes with guns?  How about using the tools of mockery and ridicule to take some of the romance out of gun ownership?

These are some of the thoughts that have been trotting around my head.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 09:06:36 AM PST

•  Gun Oil Ruins Bed Sheets? nt (1+ / 0-)
            Faito

by JML9999 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 09:09:48 AM PST

•  So when the 4-H Youth Champions for the year (0+ / 0-)

are announced or the National Junior Olympic Program prepares for Olympics or the Open Youth Skeet Shooting Championships are held....do we make them feel like social outcasts too?

•  No. (4+ / 0-)
              Beetwasher, Laconic Lib, RadGal70, Faito

It isn't about stigmatizing hunting.  It's about marginalizing those who think they need military grade weapons to make themselves potent and brave.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 09:41:03 AM PST

•  Well it was said above that even owning a gun (0+ / 0-)

should make people want to make that gun owner feel like a social misfit in some way...like this was a goal of some kind.

•  it is not and should not be a goal (1+ / 0-)
                  Bailey2001

2nd amendment is there, it's honored, it's a different issue to talk about regulation of things that people have a right to have.

by Greg Dworkin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:04:40 AM PST

•  I agree. I own guns because I have the legal (1+ / 0-)
                    Greg Dworkin

constitutional right to do so and I shouldn't be made to feel like a monster anymore than if I were protesting or expressing my religion or any other of my rights granted under the same Bill of Rights.

I have no blood on my hands, I am not a baby killer, I am not a gun nut or a freak...and these memes should stop because all it does is create a bunch of division and thus "discussions" turn into "debates" and then into "arguments" and then it all shuts down.

If we want to fix the problem, we have to understand that a lot of people own guns and that right in important to them....just as much as holding a protest sign or wearing a cross or feeling like we should have the right to a jury if we were ever accused of a crime.

•  I respect your right to own guns. (0+ / 0-)

What I don't like is the manner in which guns have been glorified in our culture.   We have too many guns in the hands of irresponsible owners and criminals and it's time to say STOP.

Rights are not without limitation and they never have been.

It's the Supreme Court, stupid!

by Radiowalla on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:35:09 AM PST

•  You failed to make that distinction. (0+ / 0-)

So after the owners of Scary Black Rifles are ridiculed, I suppose you'll want to try and emasculate pistol owners next?

•  I always told my kids (2+ / 0-)

that if they went to someone's house and there was a gun in sight, they were to call me immediately and I would come get them.

When it was a parent I didn't know I would ask about guns.  Once a parent told me 'no' but when Ben went there an older brother was moving out and had his stuff piled up in the den, including a long gun of some kind.  Ben called me and I picked him up.  The other kid's parents were very unhappy with me, but then I was unhappy with them for lying to me.  Never let him go to that house again.

•  how about arnold schwarzenegger (0+ / 0-)

and others actors like him doing a public mea culpa, apologizing for their part in glamourising violence  and making money off of it?

HAPPY SECOND TERM EVERYBODY !!! WHAT'S YOUR PLAN FOR THE NEXT FOUR YEARS? THE NEXT FOUR YEARS OF WORK ARE WHAT THE LAST SIX YEARS OF WORK WERE ALL ABOUT! (-9.75 / -9.05)

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:59:17 AM PST

•  The article on 12-14-12 responders mentioned (8+ / 0-)

the Christmas decorations made by the children.  These decoration were waiting to be taken home, the decorations were on the window sill.  What if reproductions of these decorations were made?  What if each child's name was on the decoration?  What if we all hung these decorations on our Christmas tree every year?

I don't know how this could be translated to people who don't make Christmas decorations.  I think it could if we set our minds to it.

That way we would have a yearly ceremony for each of these children in homes across America.

My gun control petition was shot down.

by 88kathy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 08:40:32 AM PST

•  I think (0+ / 0-)

The next time there is a mass shooting, all senators and their spouses, all Reps and their spouses, all of the people who run the NRA and the NSSF and their spouses should have to walk through the place where the carnage is wrought while bodies and guts and blood are everywhere.  Then they should have to spend a day in the shoes of a family whose life is spent caring for somebody 99% disabled by a gun massacre.

And we all know there will be another mass shooting by year's end.  Innocents will die and the gun-nuts will have all the same answer:  more guns will make us safe!