View Diary: Idaho state senator: Obamacare just like the holocaust (119 comments)

•  Are you ready to (0+ / 0-)

Move back to Seattle yet?

"It is easier to fool people, than to convince them they've been fooled" - Mark Twain

by Sarge in Seattle on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:10:41 AM PST

•  Nah (2+ / 0-)
      trumpeter, Sarge in Seattle

We've actually got this big, golden orb in the sky almost every day. It's stunning.

"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning." —Warren Buffett

by Joan McCarter on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:36:41 AM PST

•  Good point (1+ / 0-)
        Joan McCarter

The starry nights are cool, too.

by Sarge in Seattle on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:13:13 PM PST

•  From an Arizona resident soon bound for Cascadia.. (9+ / 0-)

The sun is overrated :).  330+ days of sun is quite a few too many... I want to be able to walk outside without squinting, wait for a bus without burning my hand on my own wheelchair, and experience rain for more than 10 days per year ;p.

Last time I was in Portland, I practically pranced down the street in the rain - it just felt so wonderful. :)

"The first drawback of anger is that it destroys your inner peace; the second is that it distorts your view of reality. If you come to understand that anger is really unhelpful, you can begin to distance yourself from anger." - The Dalai Lama

by auron renouille on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 06:24:15 PM PST

•  I miss Ivar's Acre of Clams. (5+ / 0-)

Here in AZ they have very few decent fish bars on the waterfront.

•  Do they have Ivar's in Portland? (2+ / 0-)
            cactusgal, boofdah

We went there in Seattle, the one on the Sound under Alaskan Way - and liked it so much that we went back a second time ;p.

by auron renouille on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 06:43:47 PM PST

•  Portland is your place then. (2+ / 0-)
          LilithGardener, boofdah

You have exactly 10 seconds to change that look of disgusting pity into one of enormous respect!

by Cartoon Peril on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 06:37:19 PM PST

•  Oh boy, (4+ / 0-)
          LilithGardener, RBinDLH, aitchdee, boofdah

I SO get your comment.  As a life long daughter of the mid west's four seasons, and all the weather changes inherent, I know the one thing I need from my weather is indeed, change.

Sometimes it's not what I want---too cold or too hot---but it's bearable because you know it WILL change and soon.

To me, endless days of sun are as oppressive as endless days of rain. I like a mix, I like the change of atmosphere and how different weather makes you feel like doing different things.

LOL, to me, San Diego would be Hell.  75 and sunny every day. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 06:48:37 PM PST

•  I loved LA, but LA has a bit more change than SD. (2+ / 0-)
            StellaRay, boofdah

We'd range from highs in the 40s and 50s in winter to 80s and 90s in the summer, with the first half of the year being rainier than the second half and May and June being almost SF levels of fog (instead of April showers, we had "June gloom").  Enough change to make me happy but no real temperature extremes and no snow.  Although we didn't have fall color, we had a number of trees that changed color in Spring, particularly beautiful jacarandas that turn vivid purples and pinks in April and May.  By August, the air gets a lot drier and imho the worst weather was fire weather between August and November or so before winter.  I loved those chilly winter mornings up on the train platform on the 105; a nice crisp breeze would clear out the pollution and you could see snow in the mountains above Downtown LA.  So most of California did have four seasons, they just weren't normal seasons (for another example, summer in San Francisco is the coldest time of the year and the hottest days of the year come in late October or early November).

Arizona doesn't have those kinds of subtle season changes.  It's just variations on the word "hot" except for two weeks of cold in January.  Growing up here, I recall beautiful thunderstorms in July but those seem to be much fewer these days and I'm not really clear why; could be the larger heat island, could be climate change, could simply be my memory failing me.

by auron renouille on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 07:00:04 PM PST

•  Yes, (1+ / 0-)
              auron renouille

LA does sport some soft seasons, so to speak, and SF, even more.  I could live in SF or the surrounding area.  There's enough chill, and fog, and sun and change there to keep me happy.  I have many friends there and visit often.

Arizona, the worst for me.  I had clients there once, and traveled there often. Fine to visit, couldn't live there. Way too much heat and glare. I'd do better in Seattle with more cool and clouds and rain.

LOL, sincerely yours, Morticia.

by StellaRay on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 07:12:48 PM PST

•  Louisiana. (2+ / 0-)
          auron renouille, aitchdee

I moved to New Orleans because I love big rain. Now, I'm stuck with rain and bobby jindal, or someplace else. i've chosen someplace else because i'm becoming truly prejudiced against stupid, and that's not good. but, like you, i love the rain, and nothing beats a comfy bed on a rainy night. of course, seattle is too much rain.  i grew up in england, and when my friend asked why a movie was in black and white, when it was just normal england, i did have to laugh.  true story.