View Diary: NRA's opposition to universal background check shows just how unreasonable it plans to be (227 comments)

•  Her outfit is a subsidiary of a Koch Brothers (7+ / 0-)

think tank.

As for whether or not she should have appeared, one could make the case that she was equally helpful in galvanizing support for the side of sane gun law management - she really came off as an idiot.

The only reason she was there was because she's a girl and the NRA and the Republicans have made the calculation that they need chicks just like John McCain did when he picked Sarah Palin.  These men really only end up insulting women like me when they so obviously select their female allies for no other reason that they are female.

It makes it crystal clear how little respect they have for women.  They think that I'm going to be such an idiot that I see a woman with them (not listen to a thing she says - which is what they do) and be convinced just by the fact that she is a she that they give a damn about women's interests in these issues.

•  Come on pretty lady, just let us menfolk (3+ / 0-)
      inclusiveheart, Smoh, Calamity Jean

take care of everything and stop all that carping and worrying. Here, buy a dress or get yourself a new hairdo. And make me a sandwich.

If I were a woman, I don't know how I'd stay sane hearing such creeps.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:16:15 PM PST

•  You forgot to offer me a big giant gun (2+ / 0-)
        kovie, Smoh

for those nights when you're out driving around shooting mailboxes and drinking - and of course for those occasional times when you have to be away in jail.

•  Well, I don't know about the giant gun (3+ / 0-)
          inclusiveheart, Smoh, Calamity Jean

That's probably too much for the ladies to handle. But you can have my pearl-handled .22 that my aunt Betsy gave me when I turned 14.

Now there was one classy broad, always knew her place.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:27:54 PM PST

•  I want a semi-automatic like the (3+ / 0-)
            kovie, Smoh, Calamity Jean

one Trotter described in her fake example of why I would need one.

Trotter Whining: "You guys don't understand.  You're big and we're small.  We need high capacity magazines and rapid fire capability."

That's basically what she said - shaking head.

I kept thinking - get a dog.  But then again, that might be cruel to the poor dog.

•  My favorite (3+ / 0-)
              inclusiveheart, a2nite, Smoh

Last week one of the networks interviewed a guy protesting gun control efforts and asked him why he needed a 30 round clip. He said to protect himself in case he was attacked by 10 guys.

He actually said that. Seriously. As if one, that's likely, and two, having even a 300 round drum could possibly protect him from 10 armed men. Perhaps that works in a Bond movie or Cop Killer III, but not in the real world.

I swear, these people are the best possible advertising for gun control.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:38:41 PM PST

•  Oh! Oh! Oh! Raising hand. (3+ / 0-)
                kovie, a2nite, Smoh

I WAS attacked by a group of 20 people for real.

True story.

There was a ring leader who was a woman who was trying to cut my throat with a broken beer bottle.  I was surrounded and basically avoided having my throat cut by dodging and ducking her as others pushed me back into her reach.

Early on - within the first 30 seconds of the attack my purse was taken in which had I been a gun toting kind of person my gun would have been.

Ultimately, I was saved by a dog that arrived ahead of my two friends who were just up the road and had been waiting for me talking with some friends.

I have reviewed that event many, many times and I can guarantee you that had anyone been armed, things would have been much, much worse.  If I had been armed, I know that gun wouldn't have refused to be used by the crazy woman or any of her friends to hurt or kill me.  Even if I had had some crazy assault weapon ready, I am sure that any number of the big guys preventing me from escaping would have simply knocked me out cold from behind.  Every scenario had there been a gun would have put me at even more of a disadvantage and in greater danger.

I walked away with cuts and bruises, but nothing more.

So, that guy that you cite is an idiot and an asshole if he thinks he'd do any better in that situation.  My best weapon was having played defense in soccer for years so I was good at moving and dodging backwards whilst keeping my eye on the primary attacker.  Also, just in case David Mizner reads this, my Mom and I immediately felt sorry for these people because we imagined they were poor and under privileged, but it turns out that the six ring leaders that I was able to identify were from wealthy families.

•  Wow, I'm glad you came out ok from that (1+ / 0-)
                  inclusiveheart

I've been ganged up on, but nowhere near like that.

Amazing that these idiots think that life is like one of those movies where the hero barely gets nicked but manages to gun down 10-20 bad guys with AK-47s who keep running into his line of fire ONE at a time. I bet they play a lot of video games and fancy themselves Rambos.

Again, a great argument against them getting such guns.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:28:16 PM PST

•  Thank you. (1+ / 0-)
                    kovie

I didn't even get into the part where the police came and whilst insisting that I had done something to deserve the attack too the beer bottle that the woman used and broke it into tiny pieces on the concrete dock so that her finger prints would not be found ;)

They did have guns and the only reason that I think we were not deep sixed by the police was that I had already made calls on the pay phone to the VA beach 911 center and to my father who was a criminal defense attorney - this was in a US Territory and the responding police were related to some of the assailants.  My British friend and the German guy I was with at the time were a bit freaked out when I started screaming at the officers, but they didn't understand how much leverage I was pulling by saying the things to the officers that I did; and why I actually did that so that was able to extricate us from the second potentially very threatening situation that we dealt with that night.  Right after the police officer destroyed the beer bottle I knew that was going to be the only way that we would not end up as fish food on that ferry dock.

The moral of the story is run away from criminals trying to hurt you and make sure that the police they are related to know full well that lots of people know exactly where you are and NEVER believe bullshit about guns being nearly as effective means of survival as evasive moves or talking probably will be.

•  I don't know... (1+ / 0-)
            kovie

You're awfully good at this stuff.  :o)

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 04:38:18 PM PST

•  My favorite is when I come up with (0+ / 0-)

double entendres without even realizing it, like with the above about the big gun. Now if only this were translatable into policy...

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777