View Diary: National Review outraged that Obama called Holocaust 'senseless violence' (155 comments)

•  My parrot has a habit of returning (12+ / 0-)

to the same spot to poop.  I arrange newspapers appropriately.  Wayne La Pierre has had a rough month.  Bush had a few bad years.

by I love OCD on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 07:37:44 AM PST

•  There is every possibility (9+ / 0-)

that your bird is smarter than you think.

I'm never sure if I've forgotten and left the lid up, or if InvisObama™ is using the loo.

by The Gryffin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 07:40:58 AM PST

•  Are you perchance, a Britisher??? (0+ / 0-)

If so, I wanted to tell you that growing up my friends and I heard constantly about British "Bobbies" not carrying guns.  That used to fascinate me.  Is it still true?  Was it really true?  Has it changed and if so, when???

(My appy polly loggies if you are not, in fact, an Englishman(or woman).  I took great leap of faith when I read your sig line!
        We could use more lid and loo in this land!

Buy Aldus Shrugged : The Antidote to Ayn Rand, and tear Ayn and the GOP new orifices. ALL ROYALTIES BETWEEN NOW AND MARCH 1, DONATED TO THIS SITE, DAILYKOS!! @floydbluealdus1

by Floyd Blue on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:22:33 AM PST

•  I'm an Anglophile, it even shows (0+ / 0-)

up in my spelling when I'm on a reading run.  And it's true that bobbies were unarmed, I think that only changed with the war on terra.

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:30:54 PM PST

•  i forgot my favorite Britishism (0+ / 0-)

- taking the wheelie bin to the curb for trash collection.  Wheelie bin!

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:33:43 PM PST

•  Sorry for my reply delay. Nope I'm a Chicagoan. (0+ / 0-)

The word "loo" is just funnier.

by The Gryffin on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 02:21:45 PM PST

•  I know he is! It's no accident if waits (0+ / 0-)

until I'm in range for a poop drop- he knows how to punish me for withholding ice cream.

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:25:51 PM PST

•  You are my daily hero 'I love OCD' !! LOL LOL !! (1+ / 0-)
      I love OCD

Please give your parrot a treat or a toy for me !!

Something that doesn't make good sense, makes bad sense. That means someone is being deliberately hurtful & selfish. Look for motives behind actions & words.

by CA wildwoman on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 12:16:01 AM PST

•  He said "thanks for the almond and (1+ / 0-)
        CA wildwoman

HowAREya?"

by I love OCD on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:35:21 PM PST

•  I read the 'HowAREYa?' in a parrot voice to my (0+ / 0-)

hubby - he suffers from severe 'Parrot Envy.' What species is he?
          Inquiring minds & all that ...

Almonds are my favorite, too.

by CA wildwoman on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 05:07:01 PM PST

•  He's a yellow-naped Amazon. He's been (1+ / 0-)
            CA wildwoman

my most stable relationship for 27 years.  ;-) I also have a 6 year old female Eclectus. They live in Birdie McMansions because building outside play areas has gotten too expensive if I'm renting.  West Nile changed things.  It would be a dull ish life without them.  Both talk, Pudgie answers questions sensibly, and learned to say "I love you!" when he wants something and I'm not responsive.  We all know who's in charge!

by I love OCD on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 10:39:46 AM PST

•  OMG - those are his favorites ! (0+ / 0-)

The parrot voice I use is my imitation of 'Albert' a female yellow-naped we met while working at a pet & feed store in the 1980s. Her specialty was phone ringing & calling "Albert -get the phone" all very clearly. She was a hoot-n-a-half, though she didn't like being handled.

Hubby's absolute favorite parrot of all time was an Eclectus female named Evita who lived with a vet co-worker & family. She liked to cuddle, or follow people around the house (walking) while clucking like a chicken until they would pick her up & cuddle her under their chin. She ended up with a feather destroying condition & passed several years ago - he still misses her a lot.
              Have you seen the PBS bird show about Eclectus reproductive strategy? - it's different & fascinating.

Yeah, West Nile is a real problem - hubby's work includes steps in the CA reporting program. The dead crows make him esp. sad. I think parrots would destroy screening materials they could reach. Maybe a protective exterior bubble?

I'm not so much a living with parrots fan, but I admire people who do a good job caring for them - it's more work than I can tackle. I'm best now with cats & one dog only.

Thanks for the great info - I'm still laughing about the newspaper thing.

by CA wildwoman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 06:41:32 PM PST

•  The only safe outdoor enclosure anymore is (0+ / 0-)

an inner fence, like a dog run but with a top, and an outer structure that's fully screened.  My guys can chew through chicken wire, and have to be kept 4 inches from screens.  Costly.

My female is Amelia, because she's the finest flyer of the babies I hand-fed.  She "adopted" me by acting stone crazy every time prospective parents showed up.  She does crazy eyes that scare the hell out of you.  Pudgie's a cuddler, Amelia's not.  She'd be less independent if I clipped her flight feathers but I just can't take flying away from her.  They are an unusual breed- ground feeders, colony breeders, and they don't pair bond.

We used to have 22 pet birds and 100 breeders.  I'm too old for the hourly feedings anymore, not to mention the cleaning!  I miss Sampson most- he's a Hyacinth macaw who's currently a breeder at a really great park in FL.  Huge, gorgeous, more protective of me than my very protective dogs.

They're a huge commitment.  I rarely travel because I trust few people to care for them my way.

by I love OCD on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 07:37:10 PM PST