View Diary: Tree Climbers: Archdiocese of LA Released 12,000 Pages Related to Catholic Church Child Sex Abuse (21 comments)

•  The removal of Cardinal Mahoney is big (11+ / 0-)

let us hope this is the first of many shoes to drop!

I'm on bed rest for a week so I'll definitely be combing through some of these files...everyone involved needs to be named and shamed.

You must work-we must all work-to make a world that is worthy of its children -Pablo Casals Please support TREE Climbers for victims of child sexual abuse and exploitation.

by SwedishJewfish on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:39:16 AM PST

•  Take it slow - it will literally take your breath (7+ / 0-)

away, the complete and utter disregard for any of the children versus the complete reverence, respect and protection afforded the pedophiles.

My plan is a bottle (2?) of Malbec and a box of tissues.  Here's hoping my laptop doesn't go flying (smile) sorry couldn't resist

I hope surgery went well and that you have an expedient recovery.  Take good care of yourself - both physically and psychologically.

"...I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul" Invictus - William Ernest Henley Please donate to TREE Climbers, our 501(c)(3).

by Roxine on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:46:38 AM PST

•  ...finishing my thought - we have a lot of work to (3+ / 0-)
        SwedishJewfish, Cinnamon, sturunner

do...

by Roxine on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:47:01 AM PST

•  which is why it pays to check data bases (2+ / 0-)
          Roxine, sturunner

not only of priests accused of molestation but state and county data bases of convicted child molesters.  A quick check of my locale revealed 5 convicted child molesters living within 10 miles of my home.  While they have a right to live their lives, having served their terms, at the same time, I am very aware of them in the community.

•  Yes - we also have a convicted child sex offender (4+ / 0-)

living in our neighborhood and we have made sure everyone in the neighborhood is aware.

We are a neighborhood in transition - with many older couples moving out and young families moving in.  At our bus stop alone, there are about 20 kids all under the age of 10 - in the neighborhood, we probably have 40-50 kids under the age of 16.

When we found out about the young man being released and moving back in with his family, we started a neighborhood watch email chain notifying everyone of this and other incidents in the neighborhood.

Knowledge is power.  That is another reason I was so grateful that the names were not redacted of these offenders.  If we protect them, we do NOT protect children.  And I'm going to side with children every day and twice on Sunday.

by Roxine on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:19:09 AM PST

•  I'm expecting it to be infuriating (4+ / 0-)
        Roxine, sturunner, aravir, Miggles

and break my heart, but I will heed your advice and pace myself.

It's sickening to think this only scratches the surface. How many other archdioceses, how many files that have never seen the light of day? It's staggering.

(On a happier note though, Jerry Sandusky's appeal was just denied :D)

by SwedishJewfish on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:58:48 AM PST

•  You have been out of it <grin> (4+ / 0-)
          SwedishJewfish, sturunner, aravir, Miggles

That's so two days ago - you have some reading to do (laughing)

We will work through these together, in honor of the children.  I am thankful that the names weren't redacted.  We have to stop protecting pedophiles and start protecting children.

On a different note - did you sign Sandy Hook's Promise- thought their logo would touch you - it made me cry when I saw it on so many different levels.

by Roxine on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:04:42 AM PST

•  however we have precedence of Archbishop Law (3+ / 0-)
      Roxine, sturunner, RainyDay

who was actively added by the Vatican in evading justice