View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: Time to act (172 comments)

•  not sure i really agree with (3+ / 0-)
    Greg Dworkin, xxdr zombiexx, drmah

an across the board ban on all semi auto weapons and i doubt there's even close to a majority on it either

that said interesting morning and looks like i have a lot of reading to do

•  there is with the public (20+ / 0-)

but perhaps not in congress.

60% want in done in CT, 50% in the country according to UCONN/Courant.

Gallup says:

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 04:58:02 AM PST

•  I note 82% support for increased funding (10+ / 0-)

for mental health services.  With the current House, what are the chances of that passing?  I would predict a cut in current mental health services as being more likely as part of a deal over the deficit

•  White House SEEMS to be cutting mental health (5+ / 0-)

I work for a specialized MEdicare program and they are cutting, cutting, cutting our per diem for people.

They don't want them in the hospital - oh God no.

But they don't want to pay to keep these people OUT of the hospital.

It's only been 4 years since we got rid of Bush: America's healing from that trauma hasn't yet begun.

Basically, we just need to re-install the 1990's.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 05:11:45 AM PST

•  yep, the advent of DRGs marked the beginning (6+ / 0-)

of gaming the system.  For example for SNF pts, there used to be the game of "swing beds" where MC pts who overstay their DRGs are discharged to the swing bed (which consisted of a nurse putting a new chart at bedside so pt physically remained in same bed but was administratively transferred) and then readmitted  48 hours for a fresh DRG
            (for Kossacks not in healthcare this is probably gibberish)
            So the system games the hospitals and the hospitals game the system.  Yep we need to go back to before the DRGs.

•  Our state has cut, (5+ / 0-)

excuse me, slashed our mental health funding in this state (Kansas). TMental Health services have lost 52% of their funding since 2000, so you can imagine what it's like out here.

Critics of millions of dollars in state funding cuts to community mental health services proposed by Gov. Sam Brownback say the policy shift will place intense pressure on jails, emergency rooms and state mental hospitals to care for thousands of people in crisis.

The Republican governor asked the 2011 Legislature to approve a budget plan wiping out $10.2 million shared by more than two dozen licensed centers now on the front lines of treatment for 70,000 patients throughout Kansas.

The move would strip $976,000 from Valeo Behavioral Health Care in Topeka, $601,000 from Pawnee Mental Health Services in Manhattan and $248,000 from Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center in Lawrence. Facilities serving Johnson and Sedgwick counties would both lose more than $1 million.

At the same time, Brownback recommended deletion of $5 million in “family-centered” grants for delivery of therapy to 5,000 children each month with severe emotional disorders and to support their families.

He turned down federal money for starting state exchanges, which expanded Medicaid and Medicare services.
            Then right after the shooting, the RGA tweeted something out about Brownback increasing the funding for mental health services. Not exactly, as it turns out- he told the agency they had to find the $10 million he's directing towards "crisis intervention services" from somewhere else in their budget:

Pete Zevenbergen, director of Wyandotte Center, also thought the governor's plan was encouraging but has some reservations.

“I think that this is a very worthy effort to focus dollars on some of the greatest need, and I’m pleased with that” said Zevenbergen. “The concern I have is will it take money away from something else, and more than likely, it will.”

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 05:30:05 AM PST

•  Are the Dems working on replacing him in 14? (6+ / 0-)

My family is from MO & KS. I was there 65 - 75. Wildcat.
              Have cousins both states. I read this stuff and wonder when Kansas is going to figure out what happened and change it back.

I hope it doesn't take an in state massacre to force the issue. Hickenlooper decided to increase state mental health services after Aurora and got it through the gold dome. Now we have both houses so more good things are likely. Although Howdy Doody is too centrist-R to be reliable, he won't look very good refusing to sign legislation both chambers have passed.

I keep waiting for someone to point out that while we are considering all the gun legislation would be a really good time to recheck the Violence Against Women Act so that it dovetails with the other and pass both.

DC being rational. What am I thinking?

by Ginny in CO on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 06:57:22 AM PST

•  some things will happen at state level (8+ / 0-)

and will drive incremental progress. Some things will happen otherwise, maybe through ACA.

What if I don't have mental health coverage in my employer's insurance plan? Will the ACA change that?

Employers with 50 or more workers can continue to not offer the benefits. But small group and individual plans will be required to offer the coverage in 2014 through online exchanges created under the law.

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 05:11:49 AM PST

•  I'm familar wiht that (1+ / 0-)
        happymisanthropy

but I don't see anything about support for banning every and any semi automatic action

•  Note how fast we chase a subsidiary issue. (3+ / 0-)

I concede - mental health is important. Liberals acknowledge that well before the gun crowd ever cuddled up to the territory, having watched governments diss mental health coverage, funding and facilities over the years.

The issue is the availability of guns, as one commenter put it, The Civilian Arms Race.

By definition, we can call anyone (soldiers and police officers aside) who picks up a dangerous instrument and uses it to do harm to another, "unstable", probably "deranged", likely psychotic. But consider building a system that identifies, reports and somehow "cares for" individuals who might pick up a gun and massacre kids in school. What would that look like? How effective would it be? How likely that it would identify and report people who'll never touch a gun?

Guns are the core issue, gang. Their ready availability, their prevalence in society.

2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

by TRPChicago on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 06:35:04 AM PST

•  The fact is that MOST gun owners have nothing (3+ / 0-)
          RonV, drmah, rageagnstmach

to do with massacres OR America's day to day gun violence.

I know 'some' bristle at the fact guns don't shoot themselves, but guns do not shoot themselves. It is an inescapable salient fact. Annoying, interferes with a great rant.

Restoration of gun violence stats would really help show us who actually does the shooting. Then we would know what to target. Banners are like the gun folks that just blast away at sounds in the night.

Gangs. If I was a firearm owner, I'd have to be offended if you told me I was no different than  a gang member because I had a firearm. I am not responsible for other people's actions even though some buy into the parlor game of "We are all Complicit". Blow that out your ass. I am NOT complicit.

General Criminal activity. Aside from speeding, and touching marijuana, I don't break laws. I am not responsible for the dumbass who robs a liquor store. Or your mom. I didn't rob anybody. I am not complicit in such activity just by owning a "murder tool."

Massacres: Because of the unhinged emotional intensity of banners, I have to address this. I am not responsible fo massacres. Hell, I work in mental health and try to keep people from killing themselves or from running amok when they are out of medication (for 1 of 25000 different needless reasons). I am not responsible or complicit in massacres.

I'm posting this half as a linkable footnote so I don't have to retype this sentiment 20 times, when some new banner needs a breath of fresh factual discourse.

by xxdr zombiexx on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 06:49:11 AM PST

•  the idea is to do what works (6+ / 0-)

and data/research is crucial.

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 07:26:10 AM PST

•  Gun -owners will continue to defend guns with (0+ / 0-)

mass destruction capacity even after their own children are shot.  They just don't care! They consider children collateral damage, just like civilian deaths in a war zone.  The JUST DON"T CARE about humans!!

•  True that, Zomb, but most car drivers don't have (2+ / 0-)
            ChurchofBruce, Minnesota Deb

... or cause fatal accidents, either. Yet we require licenses, license renewals, insurance and car inspections. We keep master records of car ID numbers and traffic citations. We take official government action based on those requirements.

The fact that a parked car presents no danger does not mean it is not dangerous or shouldn't be regulated in ways society has come to regard as reasonable.

I'm not suggesting you're a gang member, or the same as one, or complicit with them. But if you own a gun ...

I do think you have a dangerous item that is attractive to children and many adults who do not own or have access to a gun, as well as those who do. I hope you prevent others from getting to it as best you are able. I hope that if you carry it lawfully, someone does not take it away from you. Or assume you're a Bad Guy and feel threatened. I hope that if you carry your gun into a theatre or a politician's rally or an elementary school and a Bad Guy starts shooting, you will not pull your weapon and use it, unless you are a very well-trained SWAT officer.

Just because I think about these things more now and want to do something about them, does not make you a bad guy at all. But neither does that suggest nothing shoud be done because you will be inconvenienced even though you are not culpable.

2014 IS COMING. Build up the Senate. Win back the House : 17 seats. Plus!

by TRPChicago on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 08:46:54 AM PST

•  but that likely does not apply (13+ / 0-)

to hand guns. The distinction between assault weapons and semiautomatic is real, but lost on the public.

What they want banned is military style rifles, an AWB without loopholes. The want the Bushmaster off the streets.

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 04:59:52 AM PST

•  btw all the gun polls are here (10+ / 0-)

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 05:01:26 AM PST

•  Ban on Semi automatic weapons (8+ / 0-)

I highly doubt it will happen at the federal level.  However in CT, the prospect of it passing is much more likely.  When 10-1 are in favor of it, the politicians have to listen.  That's not a minority against banning semi automatic weapons.  When you're outnumbered in a political debate by 10-1 you're irrelevant.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 05:03:10 AM PST

•  question would be what would it accomplish (1+ / 0-)
      duhban

if the purpose is to reduce rate of fire.  I don't know about lever actions (Rifleman does not count) but local duck hunters here prefer pumps because they feel they have a faster rate of fire combined with fewer jams.

•  Real gun research! Dr.'s point desparetly needed (0+ / 0-)

to be heard.  The Gun Lobby has controlledd the conversation to the point that no one else is allowed to be heard.