View Diary: Open thread for night owls: Steven Chu has some departing words about our 'moral responsibility' (123 comments)

•  I've been working on a big sea level report (26+ / 0-)

There were too many issues to research to get it done yesterday or today. I hope to have something on Monday.

It's important news, so I have to get it right.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 08:57:08 PM PST

•  Looking forward to it. n/t (9+ / 0-)

by Meteor Blades on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:08:13 PM PST

•  Thanks for your work in this area. (7+ / 0-)

More information always helps, but I do have a great deal of dismay about how late we are in the process.

The last dozen years, I feel, will be seen as the last chance for the world to make serious changes.  Instead, the entire world's attention was diverted to a relatively-speaking unimportant event called 9/11.

The hoopla over killing Bin Laden pales in comparison to the global-scale disasters awaiting us.

When millions to billions are dying, compared to the massive response the US was able to rally over one single sneak attack, the relative impact will be clear.  We should have rallied the nation -- long ago -- to lead the world in carbon consumption reduction. We should have attempted  massive mitigation efforts.  We should have made some effort, but in reality, little to nothing has been done, and we are very likely past the point of no return.

And that seems to be a death sentence for our grandchildrens' future, as well as a huge percentage of the species on earth.

by YucatanMan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:20:52 PM PST

•  ^Ditto x 10,000^ (1+ / 0-)
        YucatanMan

With special emphasis on "Thanks for your work in this area."

"The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." ~ Steven Biko

by Marjmar on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:30:36 PM PST

•  I'm not smart enough to figure out the future (4+ / 0-)
        JeffW, YucatanMan, maryabein, Marjmar

The change that's happening right now is scary enough. Climate change has been causing severe damage in this country for the last 15 years but most of us haven't realized it's happening.

I thought sea level rise was a problem for the future. Since Sandy hit I have discovered I was wrong. The more I investigate the more I find.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:39:20 PM PST

•  I first began to notice the changes in winter (5+ / 0-)

weather not being as cold, particularly at night.  But now, the number of cold days has shrunk beyond belief.

"Back home" in Kansas, it was 76 one day in January - unheard of in my childhood when it would have been freezing or below the entire month without fail.  And subzero temps, usually, around the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

Changes in bird populations and other wildlife and even insects has been noticeable too.  (I used to participate in official bird counts in a previous career.)

The changes we have already experienced may be enough to cause disaster eventually, but the changes are accelerating and coming in worse than every prediction.

I want to see the optimistic side, but I cannot find it.  As usual, the rich will be insulated and the poor will suffer horribly.  The US military will be used in awful ways, I fear.

by YucatanMan on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 09:47:22 PM PST

•  keep missing news about when you publish (0+ / 0-)

and as I don't come to  the site as often as I once did, I miss so much of your work. Will look for this on Monday.