View Diary: BREAKING: Black Man Brandishes Firearm (352 comments)

•  I can see your point (19+ / 0-)

But it also shuts down their old "what does he know, he's never been near a gun. He's afraid of them" BS.

Of course they'll twist it all some how. They always do.

But I think the photo will resonate with responsible gun owners who enjoy target shooting and others while showing the extremists for what they are even more clearly.

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 09:09:48 AM PST

•  I Live In Rural IL (14+ / 0-)

when we have "Turkey Shots" (we had one last weekend at a fundrasider) here they are not in fact killing turkeys. It is skeeting shooting. The best person wins a turkey.

People realize things like this right .....

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 09:14:17 AM PST

•  But it is like a mindless reflex (3+ / 0-)
      Onomastic, elwior, JoanMar

A devastating gun related event occurs and we rush to make sure "responsible gun-owners" are not offended.

If you would have asked me 2 months ago to draw a picture of an assault weapon, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Today the image of an assault weapon easily comes to mind.

•  I don't see anyone rushing to not offend (10+ / 0-)

reasonable gun-owners.

It seems that far too often no distinction has been made between those who like to target shoot and those who gun down our children.

And that does not serve us or our hopes for gun reform well.

Reasonable gun owners are walking away from the NRA in droves. I see that as a good thing.

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 09:37:09 AM PST

•  I guess I'm just a pussy. (0+ / 0-)

And my experience of gun-owners has made me conclude that there is a lot of warped masculinity involved in gun-owning.

•  Can't speak to you being a p**** or not. (6+ / 0-)

Only you know for sure. Though I hardly think it's appropriate to use such a vulgar, sexist term to describe yourself or anyone else.

As far as a "warped masculinity" goes, I'd say that occurs no more than in the rest of our society or even here for that matter.

There are those that love fast cars and chest thumping everywhere. That hardly means all men or car owners or gun owners or even commentators on this site behave that way.

We can hardly allow the few to define the many. It wouldn't be fair, now would it?

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 10:04:06 AM PST

•  does it, boriskamite? Or does an AR-15/MP-4 (2+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, elwior

come to mind?

Scary plastic-clad firearms ... sigh.
        Assault weapons are NOT legal already. You can't buy a selective-fire AR-15 or MP-4. You can get one that will send one bullet down range every time you pull the trigger.
        But that's not an automatic weapon.
        Auto-loading, maybe. Not automatic.

Yes, it sounds like minutiae. It's really simple accurate language.
        A semiautomatic pistol, like a Glock, isn't an assault weapon.
        A semiautomatic rifle like a Bushmaster isn't an assault weapon.

An assault weapon is capable of emptying its entire magazine with a single operation of the trigger.

That's not a difference that you can readily see but it's a big difference when you're operating the weapon.

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 09:51:04 AM PST

•  Learned more about skeet shooting today than (3+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, never forget 2000, a2nite

I ever imagined I would.

Apparently the only way to start a national conversation is for the RW to start a CT and the media springs into action.

"Small Businesses Don't Build Levees" - Melissa Harris Perry

by justmy2 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 01:47:48 PM PST

•  Onomastic: it made a difference to *ME* & (10+ / 0-)

I already liked the man.

He's showing me things about his willingness to do the right thing in that photo.

Don't know if I can explain it -- I used to be a range instructor. He's so much NOT doing a photo-op pose. He's so much NOT trying to be comfortable with something he doesn't understand, even do well and know he does well.

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 09:46:57 AM PST

•  Do they keep score sheets for skeet? (2+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, elwior

If so, they'll be asking for those and trying to prove they were all filled out at the last minute last week.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 09:51:29 AM PST

•  depends (3+ / 0-)
          Onomastic, elwior, JayRaye

some clubs do; others don't. If it's a private range (duh, it's Camp David) likely it's an informal thing, so maybe / maybe not. OTOH,
          if it's a contest, like a turkey-shoot ... well, did they get to eat what he won?

by BlackSheep1 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 09:59:26 AM PST

•  yep, me too, I know exactly what you mean, BS1, (6+ / 0-)

not a range instructor here, but grew up in the back woods of MN and learned to shoot when young.

He has the same calm confident careful manner that we were taught from a young age.

He's at ease with the gun without showing off.

In a skeet-shoot contest with one of those RW nutjobs who so love to brag about their firepower, my money would be on the President.

WE NEVER FORGET Our Labor Martyrs: a project to honor the men, women and children who lost their lives in Freedom's Cause. For Jan: Right-to-Work/Right-to-Live(?)

by JayRaye on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 11:41:39 AM PST

•  Except it doesn't (5+ / 0-)

There's nothing anybody who's in favor of any gun restrictions at all - including restrictions the right formerly supported, before we had a... you know... one of them in the White House - can do that will appease the absolutely National Rifle Cult and their media enablers.  Obama could get himself an old-school Chicago gangland Tommy gun and mow down every kid at a Gay Straight Alliance meeting personally and the right would still hate him.  Even if he threw in Richard Dawkins, Elton John and both Clintons in the bargain.  They hate him not for what he does, but for who he is.  And because of who he is, they hate everything he does.

So when he comes out for gun control, it's all of a sudden the worstest baddest most awfulest thing EVER (since the last one).  I mean, these Republicans are willing to argue in favor of childhood obesity and people dying of cancer, because Obama is against them.  There's no reasoning with them.

"And the President of the United States - would be seated right here. I would be here. And he would be here. I would turn - and there he’d be. I could pet ‘im." - Lewis Black

by libdevil on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 10:44:35 AM PST

•  Yes, I agree with you, libdevil (7+ / 0-)

That's why i said that this is far more about showing to those who aren't like that just how racist and ignorant the loud fringe are.

He posted the photo and the all too typical responses have started to vomit forth, none of which are a surprise to us.

But I want to tell you that when I shared with my SO what Breitbart said about the President wearing "sunglasses" he closed his eyes and flinched at the stupidity of it all.

The SO was a member of the NRA. Notice I said, "was."

I came down stairs yesterday to discover he and a friend talking about the NRA in far from glowing terms and they are both gun owners who know other gun owners who know other gun owners.

That photo of the President skeet shooting is going to be shared far and wide.

The President is pealing away responsible gun owners from the NRA and in doing so is opening up room for a reasoned conversation on gun control.

When was the last time we ever saw that happen?

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 10:56:26 AM PST

•  Hope you're right (1+ / 0-)
          Onomastic

Your anecdote is hopeful enough, but there's just such an avalanche of bile out there.

by libdevil on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 11:08:12 AM PST

•  Never forget, we out number them, and the (4+ / 0-)
            JayRaye, earicicle, a2nite, chimene

more their racist insanity is revealed the more people join us.

The Republican's fed the racist, homophobic, and sexist at the trough for decades.

Now the rest of the country is seeing all of them for what they are.

It takes time but we ARE getting there.

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 11:17:51 AM PST

•  IIRC, your are in a NE state w/ a gun culture? (1+ / 0-)
              Onomastic

All our of our states have rural areas which do, but the southerly states have the larger cities...so I am thinking more northern than southern NE.

If so, yes we ARE getting there...

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 12:28:26 PM PST

•  Yep. (2+ / 0-)
                annecros, BlueStateRedhead

I live in southern Maine. Until the late seventies all of Maine was rural and much of the southern half still is. The state has a long tradition of hunting.

My SO remembers teenagers walking down the street carrying their hunting rifles heading to friend's homes to go hunting and no one blinked an eye.

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 03:52:29 PM PST