View Diary: BREAKING: Black Man Brandishes Firearm (352 comments)

•  Except it doesn't (5+ / 0-)

There's nothing anybody who's in favor of any gun restrictions at all - including restrictions the right formerly supported, before we had a... you know... one of them in the White House - can do that will appease the absolutely National Rifle Cult and their media enablers.  Obama could get himself an old-school Chicago gangland Tommy gun and mow down every kid at a Gay Straight Alliance meeting personally and the right would still hate him.  Even if he threw in Richard Dawkins, Elton John and both Clintons in the bargain.  They hate him not for what he does, but for who he is.  And because of who he is, they hate everything he does.

So when he comes out for gun control, it's all of a sudden the worstest baddest most awfulest thing EVER (since the last one).  I mean, these Republicans are willing to argue in favor of childhood obesity and people dying of cancer, because Obama is against them.  There's no reasoning with them.

"And the President of the United States - would be seated right here. I would be here. And he would be here. I would turn - and there he’d be. I could pet ‘im." - Lewis Black

by libdevil on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 10:44:35 AM PST

•  Yes, I agree with you, libdevil (7+ / 0-)

That's why i said that this is far more about showing to those who aren't like that just how racist and ignorant the loud fringe are.

He posted the photo and the all too typical responses have started to vomit forth, none of which are a surprise to us.

But I want to tell you that when I shared with my SO what Breitbart said about the President wearing "sunglasses" he closed his eyes and flinched at the stupidity of it all.

The SO was a member of the NRA. Notice I said, "was."

I came down stairs yesterday to discover he and a friend talking about the NRA in far from glowing terms and they are both gun owners who know other gun owners who know other gun owners.

That photo of the President skeet shooting is going to be shared far and wide.

The President is pealing away responsible gun owners from the NRA and in doing so is opening up room for a reasoned conversation on gun control.

When was the last time we ever saw that happen?

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 10:56:26 AM PST

•  Hope you're right (1+ / 0-)
        Onomastic

Your anecdote is hopeful enough, but there's just such an avalanche of bile out there.

by libdevil on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 11:08:12 AM PST

•  Never forget, we out number them, and the (4+ / 0-)
          JayRaye, earicicle, a2nite, chimene

more their racist insanity is revealed the more people join us.

The Republican's fed the racist, homophobic, and sexist at the trough for decades.

Now the rest of the country is seeing all of them for what they are.

It takes time but we ARE getting there.

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 11:17:51 AM PST

•  IIRC, your are in a NE state w/ a gun culture? (1+ / 0-)
            Onomastic

All our of our states have rural areas which do, but the southerly states have the larger cities...so I am thinking more northern than southern NE.

If so, yes we ARE getting there...

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 12:28:26 PM PST

•  Yep. (2+ / 0-)
              annecros, BlueStateRedhead

I live in southern Maine. Until the late seventies all of Maine was rural and much of the southern half still is. The state has a long tradition of hunting.

My SO remembers teenagers walking down the street carrying their hunting rifles heading to friend's homes to go hunting and no one blinked an eye.

by Onomastic on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 03:52:29 PM PST