View Diary: BREAKING: Black Man Brandishes Firearm (352 comments)

•  Obama didn't drag the press (7+ / 0-)

along with him to do his shooting.
    The pic was released after the media requested proof.
    Even the reputable CNN got in the act.

Maya Angelou: "Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

by JoanMar on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 12:27:49 PM PST

•  I saw a clip of Jessica Yellin (2+ / 0-)
        Onomastic, a2nite

parroting all the right wing concerns to Jay Carney.
        That's what passes for journalism nowadays.

by JoanMar on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 01:57:24 PM PST

•  yes (1+ / 0-)
      Sharon Wraight

they asked because he made a comment about shooting all the time at camp david. he didn't need to say that in the first place. and even when asked, he should have said that he doesn't want to glorify shooting. he could have said that he's spoken openly of his sportscenter habit, and no one has asked to see a picture of him watching, so what's the difference?

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:21:25 PM PST

•  No, LL. You are getting the sequence all wrong. (4+ / 0-)
        when editor Franklin Foer asked Obama if he had ever fired a gun. The response seemed typical:

Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time ...
        Not the girls, but oftentimes guests of mine go up there. And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake.

I would feel as you do if he had gone out there boasting about having used a gun. Here he is answering a direct question.
        And really, I hate guns but this is playing into the hand of gun enthusiasts. The argument is not about rifles used to hunt and shoot for sport. The case needs to be made against high powered weapons.

by JoanMar on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:41:17 PM PST

•  i would have asked right back (1+ / 0-)
          Sharon Wraight

why does it matter? i've never driven an indy car, yet i know they shouldn't be on the streets.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:45:39 PM PST

•  Good enough...but admit that (2+ / 0-)
            Laurence Lewis, Onomastic

he didn't go out there pandering to gun nuts.
            It matters to me.

by JoanMar on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 02:51:17 PM PST

•  I actually think it was a sensible question. (3+ / 0-)

It establishes whether the President understands the pleasures of sport shooting, which is important for people who've been told that he is going to take everyone's sporting guns away.

Is it strictly necessary for him to have direct experience with guns to have an intelligent opinion? No.  But that doesn't mean that experience is worthless.

For me, shooting sports are like gay sex. Gay sex doesn't appeal to me, but the fact that other people enjoy it doesn't bother me in the least. I think most people these days are like me. But there are people of a certain puritanical stripe whose knee-jerk reaction to pleasures that don't appeal to them is to ban and condemn.

I see exactly this in the gun debate, where  certain people like to paint all gun owners as a mouth-breathing gun perverts who get their rocks off by using and storing powerful firearms in a reckless manner. That strikes me as being like some people erroneously equate homosexuality with pedophilia.  Just because something makes you personally uncomfortable doesn't mean it is necessarily deviant.

I've lost my faith in nihilism

by grumpynerd on Sat Feb 02, 2013 at 03:23:32 PM PST

• Recommended (125)
  • Community (58)
  • 2016 (50)
  • Environment (38)
  • Elections (36)
  • Media (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Jeb Bush (28)
  • Culture (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (25)
  • Iraq (25)
  • Civil Rights (24)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • LGBT (16)
  • Congress (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site