View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Tuesday (150 comments)

•  Well, the Movie's About Slavery, (5+ / 0-)

bounty hunters, but also what some are willing to go through for love. Any movie about slavery will involve chains of some sort. Quintin Tarrantino gets blown up towards the end if that makes you feel any better. :)

"HERPES was more popular than Dick Cheney when he left office!" Rachel Maddow 5/23/12

by CityLightsLover on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 06:23:41 AM PST

•  Doesn't cover... (5+ / 0-)

... the historical timeline about which I'm passionately interested:  Anything prior to 24 March 1603 in England (mostly) or on the European continent clear back to the Paleolithic.

Lots of events in US history I'm interested in only as they pertain to my ancestors and what affected them, but that falls under the category of genealogy research, so it's a matter of analysis and perspective.

by NonnyO on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 06:51:21 AM PST

•  RIP QE-I and the end of the Tudor line? (4+ / 0-)

Interesting period. Did your ancestory derive there? Have you posted any diaries or is it too personal?  Would love to hear about the connections.
           [s:] a big fan of your sig line

Damn the Regressives, full speed ahead!

by Nautical Knots on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:22:24 AM PST

•  The Tudor line daughtered out, yes (1+ / 0-)
          CityLightsLover

... and that is, indeed, the date of Queen Elizabeth I's death.  As far as I know, no one else realized the importance of that date.

No, I'm not related (as far as I know - unless it's through a daughter's line, sis of Henry VIII with her husband's surname somehow and I just don't know it yet - Henry VII was an only child (his poor mother was barely pubescent when she gave birth to him, and it's lucky she even survived it), so no sibling lineages there, and his aunts and uncles also did not produce heirs).  I do have several ancestors who lived during the Tudor period - one line in Essex goes back to 1149 (produced the first president of RI who is my ancestor), but that's a fluke and most people's ancestry does not start until good records are kept beginning in the 1600s (late 1500s, if one is really, really lucky, and I have a couple of those).  My paternal Sherman line has records back to the 1400s, but, again, that is also a fluke.  Very few lineages can be traced back to the late 1500s or early 1600s, and records did not become mandatory until the mid-late 1600s in most cases (if the ministers kept good birth/baptism records; some didn't).

I'm just fascinated by QEI, in particular, and have a full set of bookshelves (overflowing) that pertain to her and her famous father and half-siblings, and back to her Welsh gr-gr-grandsire.  Over some 30+ years I've read enough to memorize her genealogy.

There were two different lines (undocumented) that have some of my ancestors being connected to the Plantagenets, and one was via a son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the other through Henry II and his mistress, Rosamund Clifford.  But... "Genealogy without documentation is mythology."  I have no idea if those lineages are in any way correct or not.  Probably not, since I've not seen any documents to prove those pedigree claims that someone else copied.

I haven't written any genealogy diaries yet, but I have documented ancestors to seven different countries (and I assist others who have Scandinavian ancestry; their records are online - free in Norway and Denmark, thanks to the taxpayers in those countries, and online on fee-based sites in Sweden).

I'm twice-descended from Edward Doty of the Mayflower.  The first governor of "Plimouth Colony" was John Carver, uncle of my direct ancestor, Robert Carver who came here after that.  John & his brother, Isaac Carver (Robert's father) left England for Leiden/Leyden, Holland first with the Stuarts on the throne because of the religious conflicts that plagued England at the time.  They're in my maternal line.

In my paternal line, I have two ancestors who signed the Portsmouth Compact.  The fellow who made the dies for the Pine Tree Shilling is my ancestor.  The first & fourth presidents of RI are both my ancestors, and when they switched the title to governor, another one in the same lineage was the atty. general, yet another brother another president, the brother of another ancestress of mine in a different paternal line is also on that list.  Yet another one was the step-family of one of my paternal lines.  There are Wikipedia entries for many of them.

My last find of great note (for me, personally) was the pension record and discharge paper of one ancestor who spent six years and some odd months in the Revolutionary War, and "G. Washington" signed his discharge paper at Newburgh, so I had to brush up on Rev. War history because he mentioned battles he was in, and then I also found the muster rolls for Valley Forge where he was during the winter of 1777-78.  [My ancestor was not famous; he was a private the entire time, honorably discharged, and got a plot of land in Maine as a result of his Rev War service.]  Not long after I got my first PC more than a decade ago I found out what happened to my Loyalist ancestor and got copies of his will and two deeds where he's named from New Brunswick, and the fellow who published the official genealogy in the 1930s missed that entirely.

So, aside from finding some of these individuals in old history books - some online on Google Books or Internet Archive (or both) as free downloads because the copyrights ran out long ago, there are still copies of documents that can be had..., and Serendipity has played a great role in letting some of these things fall into my lap, so to speak.  [Correct:  I do not copy others' work.  That gets a lot of errors.  I do research, preferably from copies of original documents when I can.]

There was quite a genetic bottleneck in colonial New England because there were so few people to have for spouses, so in many cases one is talking about being related to other lineages as step-or-half-sibling status, or as in-laws.  In my Doty-Sherman line, Desire (dau of Edward of the Mayflower) outlived three husbands, had children by all three, and a daughter of hers from her first husband married a son of her third husband, Alexander Standish, by his first wife, Sarah Alden..., which connects to his first wife's Alden-Mullen line.  Really, one needs a pedigree chart with lines drawn for clarity.  Desire's first husband was William Sherman and two of their children are my ancestors (not connected to my paternal Sherman line), and with others from Marshfield his militia unit was sent to RI during King Philip's War.  Wm. came back and "thereafter suffered bouts of temporary insanity."  Presumably, that was PTSD.  It was probably a blessing he died relatively young.

I had never heard of King Philip's War until I discovered that bit of trivia..., and then I found out in my paternal line one ancestor was killed and beheaded by the Indians during the Great Swamp Fight while out looking for his other son who was given a traitor's death because it was thought he fired on the colonists since his wife was an Indian.  Still, what was odd, is that the "traitor's" son was allowed to inherit his father's property, so it may be that the father's death was one of those "whoops, we erred and he wasn't a traitor after all."  Otherwise a traitor's lands would have been confiscated by the crown and not passed on to offspring.

In between the centuries of ordinary humble folk, farmers, merchants, fishermen, carpenters, etc., there are these jaw-droppingly interesting stories about a few ancestors and certain parts of their lives - or seeing on maps they lived near people who made history books, etc....

:-)

by NonnyO on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 05:25:07 PM PST

•  :-) Thanks... about the sig line... (1+ / 0-)
          CityLightsLover

Crashing Vor wrote the sentence - I think in a long-ago C&J diary.  To get it to fit I had to edit a couple of words without changing the meaning, but it's been one of my favorite sig lines.  He's a good writer.  :-)

by NonnyO on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 05:27:13 PM PST

•  PS Had to look up... (3+ / 0-)

... Quentin Tarantino.  I've heard the name, couldn't place him.

Yeeeeeah....  Not interested.

He often uses graphic violence that has been proven seductive to audiences and has received harsh criticism for his use of gore and blood in an entrancing simultaneously repulsive way. His films have been subject to staunch criticism and scorn for his use of violence, blood and action as a "colour" within cinema, rebuked for allegedly using human suffering as a punchline.[48]

by NonnyO on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 07:22:23 AM PST

• Media (16)
  • Labor (16)
  • Elections (15)
  • Education (15)
  • Economy (14)
  • Republicans (14)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (14)
  • Ireland (14)
  • Josh Duggar (13)
  • Racism (12)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site