View Diary: 2016 can be Hillary's (641 comments)

•  Who? Who? Who? (4+ / 0-)

Nobody in this thread has a goddamned decent thing to say about Hillary, but who else is there? Joe Biden? John Kerry? Harry Reid? Nancy Pelosi?

And is there any difference between the rightwing attacks on Obama and the ones some fear will come to Hillary in 2016? Let them attack. They're toothless at this point.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say a helluva lot of the so-called progressives on this board just aren't READY for a woman President. Just a reminder of what killed her chances last time--misogyny, baby, and Obama playing a fake race card.

Otherwise she'd be just starting HER second term.

"I feel a lot safer already."--Emil Sitka

by DaddyO on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:05:30 PM PST

•  Come on you can do better than that (8+ / 0-)

This was a truly stupid statement made with no evidence, no justification and no goddamned sense.  Misongynists is so tame, why don't you get creative and make up some new attacks.

"I said, 'Wait a minute, Chester, You know I'm a peaceful man.'" J. R. Robertson.

by NearlyNormal on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:09:41 PM PST

•  You can't be serious (0+ / 0-)

That exact speculation made it to the front page of this very blog during the primaries in 2008. I agreed with it.

Hillary has never faced attacks based on misogyny? Never? Truly stupid? Where were you in 2008--Siberia?

"I feel a lot safer already."--Emil Sitka

by DaddyO on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:26:22 PM PST

•  Of course I'm serious (0+ / 0-)

you essentially called me a misogynist, you don't know a thing about me, there was nothing misogynistic about my post and you trot the same old canard out there.  Yeah, truly stupid.

by NearlyNormal on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 02:41:35 PM PST

•  This woman (11+ / 0-)

is not interested in electing Margaret Thatcher.

I want a President who will take care of needs at home and stop squandering resources abroad and stop cozying up to the rich and famous.  Let's find out if Hillary can still find Des Moines on her map.

•  Isn't it a little early for that? (2+ / 0-)
      420 forever, Catte Nappe

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:17:42 PM PST

•  Pelosi too old. Kerry had his chance. (6+ / 0-)

Reid too old.
      Biden? He deserves a chance to run at the top of the ticket if he can earn it.

Running for President requires laying the groundwork years in advance. If some "true" progressive wants the job they need to step up in the next year or two.

Economics is a social *science*. Can we base future economic decisions on math?

by blue aardvark on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:21:06 PM PST

•  Who else? (4+ / 0-)

Amy Klobuchar, Martin O'Malley, and Brian Schweitzer all seem ready.

I'm not going to religitate 2007-08.  Clinton ran a flawed campaign.  She lost.

•  I do (12+ / 0-)

I have lots of nice things to say about Hillary.   There's just no point in saying it here and now.   If she's taking a four year break before she gears up for a 2016 run, there will be plenty of time then to debate her qualifications when she announces her intentions in a few years.  If she's gearing down and planning her retirement, there's really no need to debate her qualifications, because she won't be running, anyway.   It seemed to make sense, though, that she was previously criticized for a lack of experience, and now she has plenty of experience under her belt.   I can't help but wonder.   But, there's no point in rushing it.  Time will tell.

This diary isn't about her qualification to run.  It's about her current favorability ratings.   I find it really interesting that she beats Rick Perry in favoribility.   Personally, I think a slime toad should be able to beat Rick Perry, but unfortunately and unfathomably, there are Texans here who support the wacko who says Texas should secede from the Union.

If she runs, I'll support her all the way.  I would love to see Hilary become our first woman president.   It sure would wash the taste out of my mouth of having Sarah Palin, the woman who would set women back to the Dark Ages, trying to run as Vice President.

•  Her favorability ratings would drop if she ran (3+ / 0-)
        MPociask, rhauenstein, anastasia p

Right now she is not a target of daily RW hate & propaganda ... but if she became the candidate, she would be (again), and that would affect her polls.

They are not going after her right now.

An ambulance can only go so fast - Neil Young

by mightymouse on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 01:51:05 PM PST

•  But would anything the right said (3+ / 0-)
          DFWmom, mightymouse, Lysis

stick at this point?

I mean she's been in the public eye for the last 22 years and a favorite target of the Vast Right Wing Noise Machine for most of that time.

People know who she is and have already formed an opinion about her.

I don't see her favorability rating changing much even after the Right fires up the mighty Wurlitzer.

•  So, people who aren't keen on Hillary Clinton (4+ / 0-)

probably just aren't ready for a woman as President vs just not being sure about her as President?? "fake race card?" Um, ok!

And to think, above you were pooh-poohing the thought of "Hillary Haters/Obamabots" jumping out of the woodwork and yet here you are holding open the gates.

•  Say What?! (1+ / 0-)
      SilentBrook

Hillary is my role model...has been since I was a little girl.

I think we should let her retire and keep our hearts and minds open to new faces. Just because they haven't appeared yet doesn't mean that they will never be seen.

We all have our own life to pursue, our own kind of dream to be weaving, and we all have the power to make wishes come true, as long as we keep believing. Louisa May Alcott

by YoungArizonaLiberal on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:27:49 PM PST

•  I rec'd this but I have to say (0+ / 0-)

I agreed with you up until the very last part where you say Obama was playing a fake race card. It's just that "Progressive" men as a whole feel extremely proud of themselves when they vote for a societally disadvantaged man and don't realize or notice that just over half of the population is consistently treated as being secondhand citizens in the most terrifying ways. Contrary to common (liberal) belief, misogynist men exist among the Republicans and the Democrats. The Repubs are more vocal and crazy about it, and Democrats commonly practice a more insidious version or put their blinders on and will never even think about lifting a finger to change the status quo - when it comes to women, that is.

But you're right. It was exceedingly clear that grownup progressives, let alone the general population, was far from ready to accept the very concept of a female President. They did however love supporting someone (who ran as a) progressive and who looks black. Then they talked about it like voting for a Bi-racial President would mean they had helped demolish the final frontier in order to create a fully equal society or something. And that talk and ego-stroking was, sadly, not just a side-effect, but for many white progressives it was part of the core of why they voted for him. This is an attitude I wouldn't blame on the President at all - I really don't recall him using race other than telling people that he identifies himself as a black person and being outspoken about the rights of Black people. Anyhow, the world wasn't ready, never has been, but I'm still holding out hope for a new sort of age of Enlightenment in the near future that will cause us to be able to put the running of this country in the hands of a more proportionally representative batch of US citizens and to not summarily exclude any woman, no matter how qualified, from getting any sort of job normally given to a mediocre-to-good guy because she's got those icky ladyparts instead of a dick. It's so bad right now in our supposedly liberated age that having just as much subpar women as subpar men in say, Congress, would get me excited as hell (another thing they don't understand).

Back before women could vote or run for any sort of political office, there used to be one cause they were allowed to take up, politically: Ending slavery. And they did fight for it really hard. Then women worked for civil rights en masse in the sixties and they barely got a nod from those privileged male "Progressives" who were yelling about equality in the streets. We have always done our part and more, but we have never been acknowledged accordingly nor been helped by the male liberals on a scale that could be called bigger than microscopic. Even the sexual revolution partly started with those very same men talking about feeling constricted because of the 50's and wanting to be able to bang several women at the same time (not that they'd respect them more individually, though) and get high. It might have been just a small part in the beginning, but it sure helped push some of the concepts surrounding sexual freedom and anti-puritanism into the mainstream because it was privileged dudes talkin'.

Somehow non-lily-whites (and now - finally - the LGBT community) are the only disadvantaged people most male liberals can think of as being treated unfairly, subconscious choices or not. It's called male privilege, and eh, next time you're going to act like you won the final battle against the Evils of society and inequality, male progressives? I'm expecting you to present me with a black/hispanic atheist woman who is openly bi and nothing less.