View Diary: AWB and honesty (213 comments)

•  So, since they are as deadly... (12+ / 0-)

I take it you'd be in favor of a ban on semi-auto weapons?

Sounds good to me.

I don't blame Christians. I blame Stupid. Which sadly is a much more popular religion these days.

by detroitmechworks on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 02:48:57 PM PST

•  You would be mistaken, I am not in favor (14+ / 0-)

of a SARB. But please go ahead and promote what you are in favor of and be sure to let everyone, including your congressman know.

You eat a lot of acid, Miller, back in the hippie days?

by oldpunk on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 02:55:29 PM PST

•  Half of all (16+ / 0-)

the guns in the US are semi-automatics. Semi auto shotguns, pistols, and deer rifles, as well as the dreaded assault weapons, most of them unregistered. This technology has been around for a hundred years. How will you collect them all? And I don't mean "how" as in "you'll get shot" I mean how will you begin to know where to look?

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 03:00:38 PM PST

•  So of course the answer is to do nothing. (8+ / 0-)

Of course.

The proposed solution never changes.  It's always nothing.

by detroitmechworks on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 03:03:49 PM PST

•  Offer a better proposal, you know something (16+ / 0-)

that might actually reduce crime. That would be a good place to start.

You eat a lot of acid, Miller, back in the hippie days?

by oldpunk on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 03:13:22 PM PST

•  Bank robbery is outlawed and banks still get (6+ / 0-)

robbed. What no one knows, and on one can know is how many banks don't get robbed because of the law.

You have no idea how much things would be worse today if not for the past AWB, and all of the other law enforcement in this area.

(And, for the record, I'm openly in favor of repealing Amendment 2. Outlaw the stuff and people will turn it in. If not, then truly only outlaws will have guns.)

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 03:58:58 PM PST

•  Bad analogy (16+ / 0-)

Bad for two reasons:
              1) Just as bank robbery is already illegal, assault or murder with a gun is also illegal. So in that sense, your analogy is good only if you're okay with the laws as they are. I.e., sure, people get shot, just like banks get robbed, but at least they're illegal and that's stopping the worst of it.
              2) If you mean gun ownership should be illegal, then the analogy really falls apart. Yes, bank robbery is illegal... because stealing from others is on its face a bad thing. You're taking from others without permission. But simply owning a gun does absolutely no harm to anyone. These are not equivalent actions in the least.  If your analogy is meant as "bank robbery is outlawed, so gun ownership should be outlawed," you haven't presented a very good rationale.

•  In a society where there were no firearms (or (4+ / 0-)

nearly so) it would be impossible to argue that personal ownership of firearms served any demonstrable social purpose. Who, exactly, would gun owners be protecting in that scanario?

But here's where you totally miss the boat. I can't remember exactly the number of the NRA talking point (it's in the top five, though, I know) that says "there are 90,000 firearms laws already, and we still have crimes, so we don't need more laws, we need..."anything but more laws". Again, until you can show that crimes have not been stopped, you have no argument against the efficacy of regulation/prohibition. None. nada. Zilch.

by oldpotsmuggler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:16:45 PM PST

•  Hey, me too..."I'm openly in favor of repealing (13+ / 0-)

Amendment 2".  Then the government will have no authority whatsoever to "regulate" any arms, of anyone, including the militia.

Perfect, Ughhhhh.

You do understand the RKBA is not created by the 2nd Amendment, right?  That amendment granted limited authorities to the US government.  The right pre-exists the US constitution.

I think if we really want to stop bank robbers, we should outlaw banks while were at it.

No bank, no bank robberies, works for me.

And if we're going to go to all that trouble of amending the constitution, I really do think the first amendment must be done away with. Too many people starting unfunded wars with the political speech, too many people killing in the name of their faith, too many people being misled by the "free press" not to think any longer.

by gerrilea on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 04:16:22 PM PST

•  Boy, do you need to start reading case law, and (5+ / 0-)

get out of your own little bubble. In all my years of studying this stuff (starting in law school in 1973) I have never heard anyone as off the wall as you.

Seriously, I'd suggest that you stand it down a notch, and try to get a grip.

(And for some suggested reading, start with The Commerce Clause. It'll change your entire perspective of the place and times that you are trying to figure out how to live in.)

by oldpotsmuggler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:22:13 PM PST

•  Okay, might as you will, try to belittle my (7+ / 0-)

position, I will not buy into your "law school" training. You do need to get a refund on that if this "argument from authority" is all you could come up with here, really.

The only valid argument is: force rules this world.  He with the most force, wins.

Case law must keep in context Supreme Court Decisions.

United States v. Cruikshank (1875)

6. The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second Amendments means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress, and has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the National Government.

In the face of this Supreme Court record, is it accurate for gun control advocates to claim that the non-individual nature of the Second Amendment is “perhaps the most well-settled” point in all of American constitutional law?[313] The extravagant claim cannot survive a reading of what the Supreme Court has actually said about the Second Amendment. In the written opinions of the Justices of the United States Supreme Court, the Second Amendment does appear to be reasonably well-settled--as an individual right. The argument that a particular Supreme Court opinion’s language about the Second Amendment does not reflect what the author “really” thought about the Second Amendment cannot be used to ignore all these written opinions—unless we presume that Supreme Court Justices throughout the Republic’s history have written things about the Second Amendment that they did not mean.

While the Warren Court and the Burger Court offered mixed records on the Second Amendment, the opinions from the Rehnquist Court (including from the Court’s “liberals” Ginsburg and Stevens) are just as clear as the opinions from the Supreme Court Justices of the nineteenth century: “the right of the people to keep and bear arms” is a right that belongs to individual American citizens. Although the boundaries of the Second Amendment have only partially been addressed by Supreme Court jurisprudence, the core of the Second Amendment is clear: the Second Amendment--like the First, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Fourteenth Amendments--belongs to “the people”, not the government.

Maybe someday you'll accept history, if it were anything other than what I've presented here, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me.

The "commerce clause" is a red-herring, no thanks, I don't need to be intentionally distracted.

And I guess I win, I have the force of law behind me.

;)

P.S. "Tone" what down again????

by gerrilea on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 09:25:10 PM PST

•  You came to a "gunfight" with a knife. You're so (2+ / 0-)
                    Sandino, Quicklund

far out there that I'd feel guilty for even trying to continue.

Sorry!

by oldpotsmuggler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 09:35:07 PM PST

•  Empty words, if you had a legitimate position (7+ / 0-)

You'd have presented it.

I do love debate, really.  I actually can admit when I'm wrong and if you could teach me where historically this position is incorrect, I'm willing to listen.

Saying I'm wrong doesn't mean a thing.

I do play a doctor, no no a lawyer on the interwebs though and that gives me authority over all things...really.

ROFL.

by gerrilea on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 09:53:36 PM PST

•  Funny how it sometimes turns out that ... (3+ / 0-)
                        oldpunk, gerrilea, FrankRose

some people who "went to law school" were actually only the janitor.  Others, it seems, attended "law school" by studying a limited supply of books in a prison library.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 11:15:20 PM PST

•  See you think that "historically" and "legally" (1+ / 0-)
                        PinHole

have some sort of magical connection to each other, and you ain't paying me enough to do all of the work that would be needed to get you up to speed in this area.

Suffice it to say "historically" is generally used by persons fixated on "Original Ientent", and the whole O.I. thing is pretty much only a right wing talking point. I have yet to see that you've put any sort of a left wing spin on your stuff and, until you find a way to do that, you're simply not to be taken seriously on a left wing site.

by oldpotsmuggler on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 11:37:23 AM PST

•  The Constitution is "left" or "right"?? (1+ / 0-)
                          theatre goon

I must "spin" my perspective of the law to met your arbitrary standards?

Isn't that what is commonly called propaganda?

"When you have the law on your side, pound the law.  When you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. When you have neither the law nor the facts going for you, pound the table."
                          Your pounding on the table here may distract the uninitiated, not me.  What is clear however is that you have no legitimate position.

Could I refer you to Logical Fallacies for your educational enjoyment?

"No True Scotsman."
                          "Red Herring."
                          "Appeal to Authority"

None of these fallacious arguments actually address the issues raised.  Do you have historical evidence contrary to mine that shows the US Constitution creates rights, specifically the RKBA's?

I'll accept legitimate Supreme Court decisions as the starting point, okay?  And dissents are nice, but they are not admissible as proof your position is actually valid today, in these United States.

Work with me.

by gerrilea on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 07:13:59 PM PST

•  Again, you need to ask someone on a right wing (0+ / 0-)

site to "work with" you. I'm trying to have discussions, not training sessions.

But I'll give you one break. Tell me, in "Readers Digest" version what you know about the Federalist Society, and what you think of it. I mean,if you can't even pass this test, then you really need to go back and start over.

by oldpotsmuggler on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 09:09:45 PM PST

•  "No True Scotsman" again? (1+ / 0-)
                            theatre goon

Jeeze...here I thought you had a law degree.

Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist, great historical debates they had as anonymous posters in the newspapers of the day.

In the end, we have a little bit of both worlds they wished to create.

IMO, misdirection meant to obfuscate the Ratification Documents submitted by the 13 original States.  The majority of which also presented demands for the newly formed government to include a "bill of rights".  Guarantee's that the new central government could not ever do certain things.

Of course, through the years many "jurists" have been intentionally misdirected and divided by "original intent"....false dichotomies, IMO.

It's nice to know what they thought, but there is no lawful obligation to "interpret" what they wrote as binding on how the constitution is currently written.  There is a lawful obligation to those legal documents called the Ratification Documents.  Something the authoritarians of today wish to pretend do not exist.

Hey, but again, you keep on keeping on here and believing whatever it is you wish.  Clearly you have nothing and I had hoped for some honest debate, not patronizing false logic.

Good day.

PS. remind me not to waste any more precious electrons, will ya?!

by gerrilea on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 11:57:05 PM PST

•  If the right isn't dependant upon the Constitution (1+ / 0-)
                dream weaver

Then logically gun-uncontrol proponents would experience no change were teh 2nd be amended.

Oh, and by the way, this is the most unintentionally funny claim I have ever heard made (today.)

[If the 2nd A were repealed]...Then the government will have no authority whatsoever to "regulate" any arms, of anyone, including the militia.
                This reveals a profound misunderstanding of, just about everything.

There is no mention of freon in the Constitution, yet the federal government manages to regulate it. How can that be?!!!!!!

•  I have no constitutionally protected right to (1+ / 0-)
                  oldpunk

own, keep, buy, sell or trade "freon".

You need to understand that we have a Common Law System, not a Napoleonic Code system.  In a common law system what isn't specifically stated is the privy of the individual and beyond the reach of the government.  IN a Napoleonic Code system, what isn't spelled out is specifically IS the privy of the State.  HUGE difference.  See Sweden, see France, hell see Louisiana, they have a Napoleonic System down there.

We have a social compact between all citizens, "We The People", not the Government and "We The People".   The government does not grant me a damn thing, we grant it limited powers and authority because we created it.  It has no inherent powers or rights, it has no right to exist unless we say so... It has limited delegated authorities and obligations.

Our system evolves and it can, with a new law or policy or court decision, be changed.  Those changes must comply with the fundamental legal document called the Constitution, our social contractwith one another.

The Constitution grants limited authority to create and control our government.  The Bill of Rights were not "suggestions" or "recommendations".

If you wish to grant it more power and authority then "We The People" have established a clause in said document to do so, it's called Article V.

You'd have me believe that if the 2nd A was repealed and not replaced with something else the Federal Government would retain powers not specifically granted.   Could you then show me where that social contract allows for the regulation of arms by our created government?

Perhaps Article I Section 8?

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

See, it doesn't say anywhere else anything about regulating arms of the citizen.

Go ahead and repeal the 2nd A, you'll find out that I'm correct, the Federal Government would be tying its own hands.  Leaving the issue to the States to decide.

Which, by the way, the Supreme Court has pretty much done already, haven't they?

We have a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

by gerrilea on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 10:52:31 AM PST

•  And you would not have any such right for guns (0+ / 0-)

If the 2nd wasn't part of the Constitution. See how that works?

Let the unintentionallity roll!

•  I refer you to this historical document: (1+ / 0-)
                      theatre goon

Hamilton's Federalist #84:

To the People of the State of New York:

I go further, and affirm that bills of rights, in the sense and to the extent in which they are contended for, are not only unnecessary in the proposed Constitution, but would even be dangerous. They would contain various exceptions to powers not granted; and, on this very account, would afford a colorable pretext to claim more than were granted. For why declare that things shall not be done which there is no power to do?

Now we do know that the Bill of Rights had to be added or the newly agreed upon constitution and the government it created would have surely failed.

You may have been misinformed of our mutual history here, take time and review the documents please.

It just so happens I've compiled said in a diary almost 3 yrs ago.

Don't take my word, take the words of our founders and the historical records they left us.

The Constitution does not grant rights to the people whom created it, it never did.  It creates obligations that our government MUST follow.

by gerrilea on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 06:30:31 PM PST

•  A good question here is what control measures are (7+ / 0-)

often put in place to discourage people from robbing banks? Security systems, video cameras, controlled access, armed guards. Heck my credit union didn't even have tellers you could walk up to, just a phone bank and those canisters you put deposit slips and money into.

As for how much worse things would be today, no way to tell. IIRC the studies on the 1994 AWB weren't able to determine if violent crime was reduced due to the ban.

You eat a lot of acid, Miller, back in the hippie days?

by oldpunk on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 07:23:48 PM PST

•  "no way to tell" - Exactly! That's what I just (1+ / 0-)
                Sandino

said. It's exactly why you don't have a point when you try to say that past measures have failed, and use that as a justification for not going forward with what is now being suggested.

You have absolutely no idea, and yet you still feel perfectly justified in calling the majority of the left wing of the U.S. political spectrum "dishonest".

Are you sre that you wouldn't feel much more comfortable writing this shit on a right wing site?

by oldpotsmuggler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:27:27 PM PST

•  I'm sorry I thought you said this. (8+ / 0-)
                  All you are saying is that I don't know how much worse things would be today if not for the 1994 AWB. Which clearly implies that if not for the 1994 AWB things would be worse today (ie, higher rates of gun crime). But the reports I've read clearly state that they couldn't determine if the 1994 AWB did anything to reduce violent crime. One would think that 10 years of data would show the effectiveness of something. So for me, after 10 years if the effectiveness of the AWB can't be determined, well I'm calling that a failure.

I'm quite comfortable here, thanks for asking though. As for the primary point of my diary, honesty, all I am asking for is that the term assault weapon be dropped and replaced with semi-automatic rifle. Because isn't that what is really wanted, a ban on semi-automatic rifles?

You eat a lot of acid, Miller, back in the hippie days?

by oldpunk on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:45:58 PM PST

•  Taking things out of context has always been (2+ / 0-)
                    Sandino, Quicklund

considered to be extremely dishonest. What I said next after your quoted language was exactly this

"Saying nothing works is simply a copout , trying to make it so that nothing gets tried."

Gosh, a whole different meaning, isn't it, Mr. Dishonest!

How many lives have already been saved by all of the things we've already done is, admittedly, unknowable, but pretending that you know that the correct answer is "none" is leagues beyond shameful.

by oldpotsmuggler on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 09:54:38 PM PST

•  Sorry I missed the part where I said that (3+ / 0-)
                      Robobagpiper, theatre goon, gerrilea

nothing would work or where I suggested that nothing get tried, hence my omission of the content, since I didn't say such things your statement wasn't relevant to the point I was making.

After ten years researchers couldn't point to any data that conclusively said that the AWB reduced crime. Legislation like that is a failure, so I don't see why trying it again will be any different. If people want to focus on guns instead of the criminal pulling the trigger, they should go for it. I think that continuing to move in such a direction is misguided, but that's me.

I think limiting magazine capacity stands a reasonable chance in reducing the severity of mass shootings but banning semi-automatic rifles based on looks is in my opinion asinine, when it is the weapons cyclic rate of fire that is the real issue, and that can only be addressed by either banning semi-automatic rifles or by mandating that firearms manufacturers mechanically limit a weapons cyclic rate of fire.

You eat a lot of acid, Miller, back in the hippie days?

by oldpunk on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 12:17:06 AM PST

•  I live in an enclave of Canadians. I do a lot of (4+ / 0-)
          oldpunk, oldpotsmuggler, Quicklund, Lilith

work for Canadians in their homes so as one can imagine, I have many a conversation with them. Nearly all of them I know are fairly to extremely wealthy, considered conservative to uber conservative in their own country. Now, of course their system is obviously different from ours so a Canadian uber conservative is quite a bit different than even the average conservative Gooper here in the states. Just a guess, but I suppose I know a good 100-110 of them.
              Really strange, too, I have only met one thus far that I thought was an asshole, all in all I've found Canadian people to be the most decent folks I think I've ever met- much more so that Americans, no comparison there.
              Conservative or not the two things that they are in total awe about regarding us/vs them is what the hell is wrong with us idiots, fighting over whether or not we should have nationalized health care, and not that bullshit Obama foisted upon us, the get even richer scheme made up exclusively for the health care corporations.
               The second has always been this bullshit about guns, it comes up first in conversations with them now. They cannot comprehend any of it. Yeah sure, they all know our Constitution and Bill of Rights and most all of them can quote from it better than most of us can. They're far from stupid people, matter of fact Canadians as a whole are by far more and better educated than we are.
               I was on a job yesterday, the guy I had this conversation with is a mega multi millionaire, thinks Harpers ass is a reincarnation of god herself, about as hard core as conservatives get. He told me how he'd just gotten back from the store and whille there the idiot in the car next to him slung his car door open and whacked a nice dent in his car's door, got out and without saying shit just proceeds on into the store as if nothing had happened. It really pissed him off once he got out and saw the damage the guy had done and he said his first thought was 'man, I'll just wait until this asshole comes out of the store, I have to say something to this punk".
               Then his next comment was something to the effect that "I sat there for a second and it hit me, this fuckers probably got a fucking gun, that's why he was so brazen about it and just blew it off even after seeing that I was in the car, I mean what kind of asshole does shit like that unless they're carrying a damn gun?"
               Probably a good question, that is pretty damn bold. But he went on to say that it's so damn easy for Canadians to forget where they're at, some responses are simply inherently reflexive but here responding to anyone for damn near anything can bring on escalation of some bullshit situation like a car ding to where out comes the fucking gun and "I'm standing my ground".
               They are seriously scare of us, we come off as totally insane to them. The Texas school shooting last week was over two guys bumping into one another, the shooting at Moorehouse this weekend was over a lost basketball game. We have become that. We have become scary ass crazy motherfuckers with guns and the right to kill folks with them and it scares the shit out of sane people.
              It's not just Canadians. This area is the #1 tourist destination of this entire planet and I hear the same thing from people from all over the globe- nice place but I'd never live here, you people are fucking crazy- and it's invariably about the guns. Invariably.
              Anyway, he went on to tell me that just last year his friends place was burglarized and according to Canadian law your guns have to be locked up properly, not stuffed under mattresses, pillows, and hanging on the wall, if a gun is stolen you are obligated by law to report it immediately. So he did. RMCP shows up, looks the place over, the gun safe was in a closet but so was a legally owned handgun in a shoe box.
              He got hauled in, faced 10 years for improper storage, didn't get jail time but did get placed on probation and had to pat a $10,000.00 fine.
              I like that. Consequences.
              I can't own firearms now but I sure had plenty back when I could, I'm not against them entirely but the one thing that never ceased to amaze me was that there really are no across the board consequences for legal owners of them that want to go out acting an asshole, are reckless, careless, negligent or just flat out stupid in the manner in which they carry, bear, or use them. No insurance required. Drop the damn thing in public and kill someone, oh well, peripheral damage, ruled an 'accident', here's your gun back, idiot, try and be more careful with that thing next time. That shit is disgusting and if you don't think it happens every goddamn day you are sadly mistaking. Responsible law abiding gun owners can and do dumbass shit every day that negates every bit of that responsible law abiding part, they are until they aren't.
              Then what?
              You can have your gun. Keep the damn thing. If you're willing to carry a minimum of $1,000,000.00 in liability insurance for any time it leaves your premises. Want armed guards in schools? Guns caused that to be what it is. Why should I have to pay for that? Or anyone else that has a right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness that your love of guns infringes upon?
              Pay for it. Pay for all the damage guns cause or may cause. A tax of say $1,000 per year per gun would be a nice start.
              Agree to the same lifetime ban that criminals are forced to deal with even when their crime has not a damn ting to do with a gun, or weapon of any sort- act an ass, act recklessly, carelessly or criminally, boom, say bye bye to your toys for the rest of your natural born ass. Why should you be any different from the common criminal when you cannot act any more responsibly than one?
               There are laws, I know this, goddamn shame to me that they are being meted out in favor of "responsible law abiding gun owners" until they breech the definition of all of the above.
               Old redneck asshole in Liburn that killed the kid in his driveway? Out on $11,200 bail. Black kid that shot the kid in the arm at Moorehouse? they won't even give him bail. Race may play a part of course but the real difference is one had a permit, the other did not. Neither had a record, neither is a flight risk. So why the disparity? The piece of paper? Please...

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 06:45:15 PM PST

•  Where you derail yourself (7+ / 0-)

is the point where you don't take the rest of the canadian support structure into consideration.

They've got a banking system that is still properly overseen by the government.

They've got a health care system that is outstanding.

They've got a number of similar strands of the support web that hold their population at a higher level of well-being, both physically and mentally and emotionally.

Of great importance in the gun comparison is the mental and emotional well-being.

Two decades ago, I read a book by a guy who made his name in the gang scene without a gun - he beat and stomped a victim into permanent disfigurement. That's not mental and emotional well-being. The guy also chopped off the arms of a rival gang member at the elbow, tied them up so he wouldn't bleed, and kept one arm as a trophy - also done without a gun. Also not mental or emotional well-being.

When you compare us to the canadians, don't forget the other elements that are contributing to the differences. The little things mean a LOT when they reinforce each other. Just like a butterfly flaps wings in tokyo and it rains instead of being sunny in san francisco, these small social safety net butterfly flaps in canada lead to a very divergent outcome.

It's safe to trust a sane person with the keys to nuclear weapons, but it's not safe to trust an insane person with the cleaners under the kitchen sink. The answer is not more gun control, it's people care.

by JayFromPA on Tue Feb 05, 2013 at 08:29:06 PM PST

•  Great rant, could you make this into your own (2+ / 0-)
            theatre goon, oldpunk

diary next time?

Seriously.

The "conservatives" in Canada vs here were NOT part of this diary.

How we are viewed by Canadians and the rest of the world was NOT part of the topic of this diary.

The "insanity" we display was also NOT part of this diary.

The "fear" of Americans was NOT part of this diary.

So, what does this rant have to do with the topic again???

Wait, you did say something about consequences, right?  Maybe since we're talking about solutions to be offered then that does correlate with the diary.

We already have a system in place for holding people accountable for their foolishness, it's called home owners insurance.  And then isn't the goal revenge NOT stopping crime?

I thought the difference between us Democrats vs Republicans was that punishment should rehabilitate the criminal, right?

What does having hefty fines, insurance or harsh consequences have to do with getting people to become less violent?  NOTHING.

In fact, insurance could make people more careless.  That was proven to me one day when a customer from Florida told me the reason he still lives in areas below sea level is because he had insurance.  So, he takes the chance that his home will most likely be washed away in a hurricane because of where he built it and then says, that's okay???

So do we want to "reinforce" bad choices?  And it's clear you believe a bad choice would be owning a firearm.  I, however, do not agree.  How that firearm is handled is another story completely.

I'd really rather not have a person around me that hasn't had basic firearm safety and practices it.

by gerrilea on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 08:25:23 AM PST

•  I also don't like the idea of someone around me (0+ / 0-)

that doesn't know or practice basic firearm safety. The problem is that little two hour course that is required is hardly an example of prudent gun safety and the evidence proves it isn't with each gun "fail" story I see that hits the wire, and yes, I read about 60-80 papers a day every day and I see many many examples of it. No, we the people need much more protection from you the people with guns. We also have rights, the most basic of all, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I can be none of the above when idiots are dropping their guns in public, 'accidentally' firing them in public and injuring and killing innocent people with damn near impunity. It is VERY rare that a 'responsible law abiding gun owner' is charged with any crime or their rights to own guns taken away after causing injury or death. I study this shit in great detail and you can claim whatever you want to but the reality is i have yet to see someones right to keep and bear arms taken away as a result of irresponsibility. negligence, or stupidity. When and until they do, when and until there is accountability in all cases involving idiotic stunts with guns I'm going to remain against their massive proliferation.
                  I'm not all against guns, I have owned quite a few and shot competitively for many years. The all guns all the time meme is stale already. I remember when my wife was going through her FBI check to become a cop years ago- now THAT is s check I'd VERY strongly support- go talk to neighbors, friends, employers- the only difference between a criminal and non criminal is that one simply hasn't been caught-yet. Criminal background checks are futile at best in determining whether someone should be allowed such a great and deadly responsibility as owning a firearm in my opinion.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 05:41:57 PM PST

•  Rarely rec such a long post (1+ / 0-)
            Lilith

But this one deserves it in spades.

•  Build a better Strawman... (5+ / 0-)

that one's lost it's... stuffing.

•  I'm beginning to think that this (14+ / 0-)

is a mathematical impossibility.

Hypothetically lets say authorities could register or confiscate one gun per minute, every minute (60 per hour) 24 hours a day from an estimated national firearms inventory of 315,000,000 guns.... There are 1440 minutes in a day (60 X 24) or 525,600 minutes in a year (1440 X 365)... logistically it would require 600 yrs to process 315 mm guns (600 yrs X 525,600 per yr = 315,360,000) @ 1 gun per minute...

•  I am told gun owners are responsible people (2+ / 0-)
        dream weaver, Lilith

I am sure most will comply with American law.

Add in a buy-back program.

Add in a honeymoon period, with no prosecutions.

Add in stiff penalties after the honeymoon period.

-----Say a $5,000 fine for simple posession of a banned firearm.

-----Say a minimum of 10 additional years for commission of any crime while in possession of an unlawful firearm.

A collector who keeps his banned, unsurrendered firearm in a safe results in no fines and no one dead. Bootm line: Who cares?

Believe it or not, criminals are not dumb. Just as gang members use juvvies to commit some crimes, criminals will use non-banned firearms to avoid the automatic jail time. A .38 revolver scars people just fine, after all.

Very dumb/violent criminals will get caught and be removed from the genral population for substantial coling-down periods.

And the suicide-by-mass-murder fucks will have a harder time buying weapons capable of hosing down entire lecture halls.

Sorry if there are any holes. This was concieved of any typed up in real-time. One man can think of only so many original thoughts in 10 minutes.

•  How about targeting the criminals, period? (7+ / 0-)

Incredibly, stiff mandatory sentences for all crimes committed with any gun. If you are a felon and possess a gun, stiff mandatory sentence...happens twice, life.  You rob someone with a gun, you shoot someone (even if they don't die), even if you pistol whip someone with a gun....if you abuse your right, you go to prison.

You commit any crime with a gun and you don't see daylight for a very,very long time.

Leave law abiding citizens alone with their 2A rights, under the Constitution intact.  Target the crimes and the criminals who commit them.  That is who we are going after, right?

This is something all law abiding gun owners would be thrilled to support.

•  We've tried half-measures (0+ / 0-)

This diary complains about half-measures. Effective change means new legal structures and it also means reducing the supply of hyper-lethal firearms on the civilian market.

•  New legal structures that target law abiding gun (5+ / 0-)

owners and still leave plenty of room for criminals to not be hindered in the least, is not the way to go.

We must understand that the 2A is a guaranteed right to the law abiding, and must not be infringed, and somehow that premise always seems to get lost in the mist of these discussions.

We must find a way to target the criminals foremost and as exclusively as possible and leave the law abiding with their Constitutional rights as untouched as we possibly can.

It is the same idea that we have had deaths during protests, we have had cities burnt down during protests, building bombs from protesters, property destroyed by those who abused that right.  Yet, we do not ban all protests, nor repeal the 1A...nor even have debates that "if it would save even one life..." about the 1A.

Instead, we correctly target those who abuse their rights under the 1A....exclusively.  When the "discussions" target those who protest legally or attempt to hinder those who protest legally...you will see an uproar here and elsewhere from those who use their rights without harming others.....as it should be.  That is the correct way to target...only those who harm and abuse their rights.

The 1A and 2A are equally as important and equally as valued by those who see the Bill of Rights as guaranteed rights to the people.

•  Yes but (0+ / 0-)

New laws which effectively limit high-firepower guns but do not detract in the slightest from legitimate sporting needs are the way to go.

Uou and I are in debate. Your position is: Everything you try cannot possibly work so I have proven your side can never succeed.

Which is why I showed how easy it is to respond to that nonsense.

•  No that is not my position. My position is that (3+ / 0-)
                  theatre goon, gerrilea, rockhound

it will not work against the targeted group, if indeed, we are truly targeting criminals. My position is that we must focus laws and improve laws to go after the criminals and those who use guns to harm others.  Instead of making any attempt to take guns from law abiding gun owners.

We have already had an AWB and it failed.  It did nothing to curb crime, it did nothing to eliminate in any real way "assault weapons" from the hands of criminals.

This new bill will again not remove high powered weapons, as there are many, many exemptions.....there are bans on certain weapons with plastic pieces and yet the same weapon with identical firing capabilities are "ok" because they do not have a cosmetic features.  310 million weapons on the streets now at last count....over 3,000,000 new background checks in the last 2 months alone.  This will do nothing to remove guns from the streets and honestly, that is not the answer.

The answer is to go after the criminals.  I want laws that work against the targeted group.  Criminals.

Stiff, mandatory sentences against anybody who uses a gun in a crime.

Life sentences, if we have to go that far, on a second offence.

Mental health funding and education

Actually use the laws we have and actually enforce them to the highest limit.

If you fail a background check because you have a felony and you know you have a felony....you ought to go to prison.

If you are caught with a gun and you have a felony...straight to prison with a mandatory sentence is where you should go.

Nothing I have suggested would IN ANY WAY infringe on the law abiding gun owner, who owns guns for whatever legal reason they have them for.  Hunting, target practice, to hang on the wall, defense, take pictures with, look at, collect, heirlooms....to hang beside their plague of the 2A and an American Flag....whatever.

•  Gun owner can concede non-sporting changes (0+ / 0-)

Yes, effective gun control laws will "affect" lawful gun owners. That is how life works. The point is, right now mild changes are being proposed, changes which do not impact sporting firearm use in the slightest. Legitimate sports shooters will be "affected" in that they cannot own 30 round magazines. But there is no sporting need for this large a magazine. "Affected" in this case in no way means "harmed".

Yet the NRA and its gun-uncontrol allies are unwilling to make even this simple concession.

So I am sorry, but gun ownder will simply have to accept that they will be affected. Now the issue becomes, how can we enact a new regulation system that saves lives and protects guns sports too.

To that there has to be some give.

•  Do you think the following should be top priority? (1+ / 0-)
                      gerrilea

Do you agree with them all?  Perhaps they deserve even first in line status of any new laws?

Stiff, mandatory sentences against anybody who uses a gun in a crime.

Life sentences, if we have to go that far, on a second offence.

Mental health funding and education

Actually use the laws we have and actually enforce them to the highest limit.

•  I favor debate, brainstorming, and change (0+ / 0-)

Existing laws obviously are fatally flawed, or else we would not need to consider new laws. So far as I am am concerned, we can start from a clean slate there.

The rest of your proposal concern nothing but penalties for after-the fact crime. That is not sufficient. Or else we would not be in the mes we are in.

•  "The way to go"??? (1+ / 0-)
                  theatre goon

Why again?

I really don't feel like repeating myself so, copy and past it is:

VP BIDEN'S WORDS:

"Nothing we are going to do is fundamentally going to alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that we will bring gun deaths down to a thousand a year from what it is now," Biden said.

So why are we pushing gun control again?

How about living wage jobs?
                  How about Universal Health care, NOT for-profit health insurance?
                  How about ending the racist drug war?
                  How about ending continual war?
                  How about ending poverty that kills 133,000 Americans each year?

How about anything that will stop the despair that dehumanizes us creating the conditions that lead to more violence?

Your position has never been valid and even Joe Biden knows it.

by gerrilea on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 07:33:08 AM PST